Solo travel advice & recommendations

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh yes I love walking the high line any time of year and day bc it’s diff vibe with the greenery and flowers as well as light for photos. I saw one of the nyc housewives on my last stroll 😂

If you like art, walking around the chelsea galleries are amazing. Most of them free and always changing. Some of the popular ones like David zwirner with yayoi kusama sold out months in advance bc of the artist. Then chelsea market is closeby and there’s great coffee and food there. Like black seed bagels

If you like food festival type things smorgasburg is fun and there’s one at oculus now…don’t have to trek into Brooklyn.

Agree with @Zulkraa there’s some fun tours in nyc. I saw one for sex and the city.
I did the Sex and the City tour last time I was there so other tours like that are a good shout! Thank you!
---

Smorgasbord looks fab, and Chelsea markets going on the list too!
How funny as that’s the one I did too! Loved it and all the inside knowledge they gave on the tour and all the places 💜

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I’m going to be spending a couple of solo days in New York soon. I’ve been a few times before so done all of the obvious stuff, but my last visit was about 10 years ago so wondering if anyone has top tips for things to do & see that are either new-ish or a bit off the usual tourist track? Not planning on venturing too far from Manhattan if I can help it!
The small is beautiful exhibit is expensive, but lovely! I spent so much time there looking at everything, it was all gorgeous and so intricately done. Washington square park is also nearby which I enjoy.
You said you didn't want to venture too far from Manhattan, but I went to the Brooklyn Botanical gardens last time and it was beautiful. So many different varieties of flowers and even saw some koi fish, such a nice place to have a picnic.

I've booked my first solo trip to Paris next month: pretty nervous but also excited. Only there for two days but would love to hear recs if people have them!

Reactions: 2
Back in 2008 and 2009 I went to China and west coast USA with a company called just you holidays. Both were really good and everyone was in the same boat.

I go.on solo trips with groups that I have joined on meetup.
This is because my bf cannot afford to go to some of the places that I want to visit, and I'm not willing to pay for him!!
They are some of the best fun holidays I have ever had. You can follow the group or are free to do your own thing.
Have made some great friends on them...

Reactions: 4
Defo do it! I go to Italy every year. Trains are so easy to navigate which enhances exploring. I use Milan airport as cheaper flights to there. I have also done Italy and incorporated Switzerland and Slovenia. Never felt unsafe ever. Same with Berlin. Loved it. I’ve been so many places alone and then with my baby / toddler who is now 12! We just book flights plans loosely and have the time of our life’s.

Last year flew to rome - train to Naples / sorrento - train then ferry to Elba - Elba to Florence - Garda stayed in camps mostly tbh which was great!

have done Milan - Lugano / Swiss alps - Venice - lido si Jesolo

Milan - Trieste - Slovenia - lake bled (Such a dream)

milan - cinque terre - genoa
(I hate Milan as a city believe it or not lol but I use it to leave straight away ha)

I can go on and on! I get lost and a reroute it really is the best

Sicily is another wonderful place in Italy Cefalù - lovely

In Spain Alicante is lovely (not beni!) imo

this year I’m going Corfu - Albania - bari in Italy.

I book cheap flights and go from there!

So excited for you X

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I go.on solo trips with groups that I have joined on meetup.
This is because my bf cannot afford to go to some of the places that I want to visit, and I'm not willing to pay for him!!
They are some of the best fun holidays I have ever had. You can follow the group or are free to do your own thing.
Have made some great friends on them...
I joined a great group called Solo travellers on meetup but they went bust during covid

• Sad
I went to New York with JustYou and it was amazing - I ended up going to Venice with a lady I met on that trip too as we both wanted to go and didn't fancy it alone so that worked well. I've gone spain for a day (oh yes it was brilliant) to dip my toe and like you I'd be fine in the day but what to do at night? I need to brave it and try Majorca or somewhere I know for a few nights first I think

To add - if you ever decide on Venice, it's a 2-3 night tops place. I did 5 and I was SO BORED I couldn't wait to come home 🤣 it's beautiful but very small
Second this I call it a beautiful nightmare - so busy and once you see it for a few hours you’ve ticked it off

Oh really... I have been on holiday with a group of a similar name... that is sad to hear.

I joined a great group called Solo travellers on meetup but they went bust during covid
---
Defo do it! I go to Italy every year. Trains are so easy to navigate which enhances exploring. I use Milan airport as cheaper flights to there. I have also done Italy and incorporated Switzerland and Slovenia. Never felt unsafe ever. Same with Berlin. Loved it. I’ve been so many places alone and then with my baby / toddler who is now 12! We just book flights plans loosely and have the time of our life’s.

Last year flew to rome - train to Naples / sorrento - train then ferry to Elba - Elba to Florence - Garda stayed in camps mostly tbh which was great!

(I hate Milan as a city believe it or not lol but I use it to leave straight away ha)

So excited for you X
Love this... I'm going to screenshot this! Thank you.
---

So excited for you X
Love this... I'm going to screenshot this! Thank you.

So excited for you X
From the little I’ve seen of Albania it looks beautiful and has made me want to go! Are you traveling around or staying in one place?

From the little I’ve seen of Albania it looks beautiful and has made me want to go! Are you traveling around or staying in one place?
So I’m a confident traveller howverrr I won’t drive abroad. I’ve read mixed reviews about bus service (some people it worked well others not so well) but I ideally would like to move around for 3 or maybe 4 days X

I'm going to bologna next month for a week!! Getting excited but kind of nervous just of the logistics of it all. I've only been through an airport by myself once before and was met by family at the other end. Making my way to my hotel alone and vice versa does give me a bit of anxiety but I'm sure I'll figure it out. I actually booked a taxi via booking.com to meet me at the other end but they only give you 40 minutes to get through passport control and collect your luggage which I'm not sure will be enough time and it would mean getting to my hotel too early to check in so maybe I'm better off just going to the taxi rank at the airport? Or booking a private transfer?
Also I've seen some people recommend hydration tablets to help with walking about in the heat. Has anyone tried these and do they make any difference? I do struggle with hot weather 😅

I'm going to bologna next month for a week!! Getting excited but kind of nervous just of the logistics of it all. I've only been through an airport by myself once before and was met by family at the other end. Making my way to my hotel alone and vice versa does give me a bit of anxiety but I'm sure I'll figure it out. I actually booked a taxi via booking.com to meet me at the other end but they only give you 40 minutes to get through passport control and collect your luggage which I'm not sure will be enough time and it would mean getting to my hotel too early to check in so maybe I'm better off just going to the taxi rank at the airport? Or booking a private transfer?
Also I've seen some people recommend hydration tablets to help with walking about in the heat. Has anyone tried these and do they make any difference? I do struggle with hot weather 😅
I normally get public transport to my hotel when I travel alone. I prefer it as 1, you get to know the system and 2, I don’t have too wory if my driver will wait for delays etc
However Mr Lolz only takes a taxi. So maybe used Uber instead of a prebooked taxi.

I buy Berocca tablets and put you in a bottle of water that I drink from throughout the day. This seems to work for me

It's the last day of my solo holiday but Ive been stung by a jellyfish and it really hurt so I've come back to my apartment to mope x

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I keep changing my mind on where I want to go! Top now is Bucharest. Just depends if I can get a direct flight. I’m thinking July maybe June next year. As I’ve read June is the second wettest month of the year. My plan would be 7 days therme spa, brown bear spotting and Dracula castle and then relaxing at the pool for the rest of the time. Has anyone been solo?

I keep changing my mind on where I want to go! Top now is Bucharest. Just depends if I can get a direct flight. I’m thinking July maybe June next year. As I’ve read June is the second wettest month of the year. My plan would be 7 days therme spa, brown bear spotting and Dracula castle and then relaxing at the pool for the rest of the time. Has anyone been solo?
No but I was thinking of going this December as there are convenient flights out my local airport

No but I was thinking of going this December as there are convenient flights out my local airport
Yeh there are good flights from my local airport in feb but I want to see the bears which are only out between May-November.
I also like that it’ll be hot in summer so I can do a some activities and some relaxing at a pool. As that’s what put me off other places I wanted to go as I like a bit of both but other places seem to be one or the other/more complicated for both

• Heart
Who knew Tattle was more than me bitching about influencers

I'm looking for a solo trip next April. Just FYI solo black girl so bear that in mind

Any suggestions x

Reactions: 4

I'm looking for a solo trip next April. Just FYI solo black girl so bear that in mind

Any suggestions x
how experienced a solo traveller are you and what kind of budget?

Any suggestions x
This could be a good group for you to join (assuming you are on FB)

🌞

IMG_8532.jpeg

Any suggestions x
Why do you have to say that you are black?
Is it only me that could not care less??