Solo travel advice & recommendations

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh to be a fly on the wall/travel companion to your fabulous trips. I'll tell you what, you'll never regret it! Even if it goes horribly wrong (it won't) you'll feel so empowered and have an incredible story to tell that, no joke, becomes part of your sole!
I've had a couple of occasions in Asia where I've felt lonely for about 5 seconds then I went to the shop, got a massive Chang (or whatever, maybe big gulp diet coke) Lays, Oreos, some weird sweets, hopefully some street food, I've gone back to my room, taken the entire bed to myself, put on whatever TV or radio I could find and just chilled the duck out. It's incredible. Especially if your feet and body ache. It cant be beaten.

I do however recommend downloading something to BBCIplayer or podbean for such occasions.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Oh to be a fly on the wall/travel companion to your fabulous trips. I'll tell you what, you'll never regret it! Even if it goes horribly wrong (it won't) you'll feel so empowered and have an incredible story to tell that, no joke, becomes part of your sole!
I've had a couple of occasions in Asia where I've felt lonely for about 5 seconds then I went to the shop, got a massive Chang (or whatever, maybe big gulp diet coke) Lays, Oreos, some weird sweets, hopefully some street food, I've gone back to my room, taken the entire bed to myself, put on whatever TV or radio I could find and just chilled the duck out. It's incredible. Especially if your feet and body ache. It cant be beaten.

I do however recommend downloading something to BBCIplayer or podbean for such occasions.
I always go on holiday alone, but always in Europe. Do you have any advice for trips like that in Asia? I would love to go and as independent as I am I am still terrified to do so

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I always go on holiday alone, but always in Europe. Do you have any advice for trips like that in Asia? I would love to go and as independent as I am I am still terrified to do so
I did a years worth of time in Asia alone. Philippines Thailand Cambodia Vietnam Malaysia indo (mostly Bali) Hong Kong (not alone have friends ) Japan

I have some tips for sure but am watching football 😂 so ask any questions you may have and will answer later

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I did a years worth of time in Asia alone. Philippines Thailand Cambodia Vietnam Malaysia indo (mostly Bali) Hong Kong (not alone have friends ) Japan

I have some tips for sure but am watching football 😂 so ask any questions you may have and will answer later
Thank you (should have guessed that from your name 🤣) will think about kt and then ask!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I feel safer in Thailand than I feel in London. given I stick to The tourist areas-ish you might expect that, but really, if you know the tricks you'll be fine. I've spent months there (over years) but I even started to fall for one last time, the old, "the train is cancelled, ill help you find a taxi" one do you have any specific questions? I wish you could PM on here!
Bali was creepy, Vietnam less so, Laos - safe... in my experience. Thailand wins out

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I feel safer in Thailand than I feel in London. given I stick to The tourist areas-ish you might expect that, but really, if you know the tricks you'll be fine. I've spent months there (over years) but I even started to fall for one last time, the old, "the train is cancelled, ill help you find a taxi" one do you have any specific questions? I wish you could PM on here!
Bali was creepy, Vietnam less so, Laos - safe... in my experience. Thailand wins out
Thank you.for.this. I am more interested in visiting Laos and Cambodia and Vietnam, if anyone has more advice would.be great. .still pretty scared (not.scared as such) but ...

Japan is an excellent place for solo travel. Lots of places with counter seating if you don't fancy sitting alone at a table for two and excellent supermarket food if all you fancy is a bento box in bed kind of night.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Thank you.for.this. I am more interested in visiting Laos and Cambodia and Vietnam, if anyone has more advice would.be great. .still pretty scared (not.scared as such) but ...
I’ve just realised I said sole, not soul, but Tbf once you’ve stomped your way around the world in Havianas it’s probably sole too!

My best advice would be to see what time of the year you want to travel and work from there. The seasons affect travel drastically in S.E Asia so what’s easy in the peak becomes tricky in the low season.
Also a budget, work out where you can save and where you want to spend. You can absolutely do it on a shoe string but the cheaper, the harder I’ve found. You’ll always get to where you need to be with transport but it’ll take twice as long, you’ll be (attempted) scammed, maybe bunched in with a bunch or insufferable assholes… it’s kinda a rite of passage but if you’re 25+, used to not living like a student, it’s probably not worth it. I
don’t mind paying £8 a night for a beach hut with a cold shower and a bucket to flush the loo (and a can of bug spray) but I can’t be arsed with a van ride for 8 hours with my feet up one someone’s rucksack, getting driven round the houses for hours because they want to get you to book a room with them or pay more for a drop off that’s not in the middle of nowhere. Of course there are reputable companies that strike a balance but I’d rather just fly and save the hassle these days then save on food/accommodation.

Reactions: 7
I'm going to Thailand and Laos very soon. Will feed back!

• Heart
Booked 3 nights in Milan - been before but plan to do day trips to Turin and Verona, or maybe Varenna for a swim in Lake Como. And then getting the train to the coast near Portofino and staying for 7 nights there for walking/swimming/sunning. So that's 10 nights in total x
That sounds amazing! I've always thought Portofino and Lake como weren't possible to get to without a car for some reason. I definitely need to explore more of Italy outside the bigger towns when I get more adventurous

Booked 3 nights in Milan - been before but plan to do day trips to Turin and Verona, or maybe Varenna for a swim in Lake Como. And then getting the train to the coast near Portofino and staying for 7 nights there for walking/swimming/sunning. So that's 10 nights in total x
I want to go to Venice and you made me think maybe I could go somewhere else after for a beachy break.
I’m surprised how cheap the trains are compared to the UK at least. Just not sure where I could go from Venice that is more chilled and be achy to relax. I also looked at ferries to Croatia which could be possibly but more expensive. 🤔

I want to go to Venice and you made me think maybe I could go somewhere else after for a beachy break.
I’m surprised how cheap the trains are compared to the UK at least. Just not sure where I could go from Venice that is more chilled and be achy to relax. I also looked at ferries to Croatia which could be possibly but more expensive. 🤔
Not beachy-beachy but waterside vibes - somewhere on Lake Garda? It's just a train ride from Venice.

Reactions: 4
Not beachy-beachy but waterside vibes - somewhere on Lake Garda? It's just a train ride from Venice.
Thank you, I did have a quick look at Lake Garda. I think it was there anyway as I saw they had a few hostels. I also had a quick look at Monaco/Nice/Marseille via train although a lot longer

Thank you, I did have a quick look at Lake Garda. I think it was there anyway as I saw they had a few hostels. I also had a quick look at Monaco/Nice/Marseille via train although a lot longer
I'm hoping to do an Italian train trip but will be adhoc. If i like somewhere, I'll stay a few days, if I don't I'll hop on the train somewhere else

you should be able to get from Venice to Croatia via train through Slovenia.
But even Slovenia has got two miles of beach 😁

I did my first solo trip last year to the US and loved it. I did a city break in Europe earlier this month on my own which went really well. It was a city I had been to multiple times before so it was a very easy trip.

I'm going to Tokyo and Seoul solo later this summer. I'm visiting family in Singapore first. It will my first time in Asia. I've heard both cities are good for female solo travel. I'm a little nervous about the language barrier but i cant wait for the trip!

Reactions: 4
I did my first solo trip last year to the US and loved it. I did a city break in Europe earlier this month on my own which went really well. It was a city I had been to multiple times before so it was a very easy trip.

I'm going to Tokyo and Seoul solo later this summer. I'm visiting family in Singapore first. It will my first time in Asia. I've heard both cities are good for female solo travel. I'm a little nervous about the language barrier but i cant wait for the trip!
At least in Japan, get pocket WiFi (you can pick it up from the airport), not sure about Korea's wifi situation, and familiarise yourself with all the functions of Google Translate the app. You can use the camera to scan images, you can type and it translates and there's also a sort of conversation function where someone can speak into it and it translates. I tried it with a Japanese friend and she said it was a bit polite and formal but perfectly intelligible. I recommended it to a colleague who went and he said he ended up in a bar having a conversation with locals via Google translate.

At least in Japan, get pocket WiFi (you can pick it up from the airport), not sure about Korea's wifi situation, and familiarise yourself with all the functions of Google Translate the app. You can use the camera to scan images, you can type and it translates and there's also a sort of conversation function where someone can speak into it and it translates. I tried it with a Japanese friend and she said it was a bit polite and formal but perfectly intelligible. I recommended it to a colleague who went and he said he ended up in a bar having a conversation with locals via Google translate.
Korea also has pocket Wi-Fi - I actually got a box in Japan that I could return in Seoul on my way home and had the same wifi box all the way through.
In the big cities in both Japan and Korea loads of people speak English, less so in the countryside but with google translate and a lot of gesturing I managed to get by!