Sofie Hagen

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ffs, most theatres were built in the Victorian era, when people didn't have weight issues. Everyone knows the seats are tiny and don't accomodate Kardashian size arses. Is she wanting them all to put Scandiesque benches in the front row for her? duck off.
My thoughts! Theatres are often historical buildings… should we tear them down? Not to mention what a tit old time venues have had this last year. Mate 😩

• Heart
Reactions: 9
My thoughts! Theatres are often historical buildings… should we tear them down? Not to mention what a tit old time venues have had this last year. Mate 😩
Don't give her ideas, she'll start a campaign for that to happen. Maybe, just maybe, the solution would be to, oh i don't know, perhaps lose a few stone? Such a novel idea, eh. It might even benefit her mental health. Win win! She gets healthy and the west end keeps its lovely velvet chairs.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Don't give her ideas, she'll start a campaign for that to happen. Maybe, just maybe, the solution would be to, oh i don't know, perhaps lose a few stone? Such a novel idea, eh. It might even benefit her mental health. Win win! She gets healthy and the west end keeps its lovely velvet chairs.
I definitely don't believe that weight is entirely someone's choice, there are dozens of valid medical reasons for being overweight. But as far as we know it really is just a choice on Sofie's part because that's how she wants to look, which is fine, you do you. But compared to autism, deafness, people in wheelchairs.... One of these things is not like the other.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Wow, yeah, those things are protected under disability rights laws. I mean, did anyone see the video where they struggled to stand whilst painting the shed??? There’s nothing wrong with being fat, but not being able to stand without hauling yourself up at Sofie’s age is pretty terrifying.

• Wow
Absolutely. I have pcos myself and staying a healthy weight is a daily struggle. I don't want to belittle that. She just pisses me off because she won't hold herself accountable. And you are also absolutely right about the terrible comparison... Fat is not a disability.

Reactions: 7
I definitely don't believe that weight is entirely someone's choice, there are dozens of valid medical reasons for being overweight. But as far as we know it really is just a choice on Sofie's part because that's how she wants to look, which is fine, you do you. But compared to autism, deafness, people in wheelchairs.... One of these things is not like the other.
yeah it really is ridiculous, she constantly needs to find something to prove how disadvantaged she is

Reactions: 5
Potentially unpopular opinion here but I am straight sized (if that’s the still the right word?) and whilst I respect their history absolutely hate those chairs and wish they’d get rid, they’re bum numbing and sometimes they’re at such a downwards sloping angle you think… surely after however many years I’m not gonna be the one to take this chair down?

It’s like a lot of what she has to say is so close to being a fair point re: accessibility but she takes it to the nth degree and alienates people that would otherwise engage with these convos.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Potentially unpopular opinion here but I am straight sized (if that’s the still the right word?) and whilst I respect their history absolutely hate those chairs and wish they’d get rid, they’re bum numbing and sometimes they’re at such a downwards sloping angle you think… surely after however many years I’m not gonna be the one to take this chair down?

It’s like a lot of what she has to say is so close to being a fair point re: accessibility but she takes it to the nth degree and alienates people that would otherwise engage with these convos.
What good points has she made about accessibility? Finding a chair uncomfortable is not an accessibility issue 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 3

Going to the theatre IMO is a privelage, a joy, a pasttime. So preaching like this just screams privilege to me which is the common theme of her posts the last few years. She wants to other herself, when she could just champion those less fortunate than her instead of pretending being fat is the same as deafness for instance. I’m fat but I’ve been many shapes and sizes, and regardless my hips are wide and I can’t sit comfortably on the swings at the park amongst other things, such is life I guess.

Reactions: 8
Also theatres have a hard time making money at the best of times, let alone the last year and a half, I doubt redoing all of their seating is a priority at this point

She should of just said "websites for theaters state the view and leg room, I wish they'd put the width of the chair aswell". What an arse.

Long time lurker! I feel like I need to write something as I’m disabled and Sofie’s post has been on my mind all day - I’m sorry if it doesn’t make a lot of sense as I’m trying to work out my feelings around why it’s annoyed me so much (and I don’t fancy doing that publicly on their comments because I can imagine it would be received poorly)

It’s not a competition about who is the most oppressed (and I benefit from a lot of other privileges) so I hope it doesn’t sound like I’m playing the pain Olympics but it feels like Sofie is positioning disability as something that is readily catered for whilst fatness is not? The assumption that accessibility is a ‘thing’ is a total myth and I only realised this when I became disabled and found that just leaving the house can be a huge barrier.

Fat disabled people also exist and to say ‘I’m not even asking for accessible seating!’ almost makes it sound like catering to disabled people is much more of a burden than them asking for wider seats??

It is probably a case of unfortunate wording and I’m aware that I’m really sensitive about it but to act like disabled people are catered for really cheeses me off when I have to email every single pub, bar, restaurant, museum, venue before I go because there is never accurate info (if any) on the website - most places never bother to email back or they’ll say ‘we are accessible but there is a small step’. I’d say I can’t get into 80% of shops in my town!

I wouldn’t even be able to get to the bloody theatre easily to use this magical wheelchair access - it costs money (and I can’t crowdfund for bills on my Insta stories), I’d likely have to send medical evidence to receive one of few disabled seats (I have to for gigs), and then I struggle to even leave the house because buses only have one wheelchair spot, I have to book assistance for the train 24 hours in advance and it’s still unreliable and taxis don’t turn up (or can’t fit my wheelchair in or break it trying to jam it in their boot)!

I just think it’s a false and unnecessary comparison to make and the post didn’t even need it - they can make the same point without shitting on other people. Putting a ‘this needs to be intersectional’ as an after thought in the caption doesn’t really mean anything when you make no effort to understand other people’s experiences and publicly shame any constructive feedback that isn’t what you want to hear 😅

PHEW! thanks for indulging my first ever tattle rant x

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Long time lurker! I feel like I need to write something as I’m disabled and Sofie’s post has been on my mind all day - I’m sorry if it doesn’t make a lot of sense as I’m trying to work out my feelings around why it’s annoyed me so much (and I don’t fancy doing that publicly on their comments because I can imagine it would be received poorly)

It’s not a competition about who is the most oppressed (and I benefit from a lot of other privileges) so I hope it doesn’t sound like I’m playing the pain Olympics but it feels like Sofie is positioning disability as something that is readily catered for whilst fatness is not? The assumption that accessibility is a ‘thing’ is a total myth and I only realised this when I became disabled and found that just leaving the house can be a huge barrier.

Fat disabled people also exist and to say ‘I’m not even asking for accessible seating!’ almost makes it sound like catering to disabled people is much more of a burden than them asking for wider seats??

It is probably a case of unfortunate wording and I’m aware that I’m really sensitive about it but to act like disabled people are catered for really cheeses me off when I have to email every single pub, bar, restaurant, museum, venue before I go because there is never accurate info (if any) on the website - most places never bother to email back or they’ll say ‘we are accessible but there is a small step’. I’d say I can’t get into 80% of shops in my town!

I wouldn’t even be able to get to the bloody theatre easily to use this magical wheelchair access - it costs money (and I can’t crowdfund for bills on my Insta stories), I’d likely have to send medical evidence to receive one of few disabled seats (I have to for gigs), and then I struggle to even leave the house because buses only have one wheelchair spot, I have to book assistance for the train 24 hours in advance and it’s still unreliable and taxis don’t turn up (or can’t fit my wheelchair in or break it trying to jam it in their boot)!

I just think it’s a false and unnecessary comparison to make and the post didn’t even need it - they can make the same point without shitting on other people. Putting a ‘this needs to be intersectional’ as an after thought in the caption doesn’t really mean anything when you make no effort to understand other people’s experiences and publicly shame any constructive feedback that isn’t what you want to hear 😅

You sound extremely thoughtful and have been more generous than I would be in your position! I think that her comment is outrageous, extremely insensitive & offensive; her privilege is showing massively. I'm sorry that you have to read BS like that. No wonder it has been on your mind. Hope the rant helped!

• Heart
You sound extremely thoughtful and have been more generous than I would be in your position! I think that her comment is outrageous, extremely insensitive & offensive; her privilege is showing massively. I'm sorry that you have to read BS like that. No wonder it has been on your mind. Hope the rant helped!
you’re far too kind! I should accept your lovely reply graciously but I’ll admit that I initially wrote “TL;DR they can piss off” at the end of my post but decided against it 🤣🤣

it absolutely makes me feel better that other people can see it and that I’m not just being over sensitive - the first thing I did was come on here to see the response!

Also I’m 100% thinking into it too much now but I googled the theatre they’re at tonight and for accessibility, it’s a grade II listed building and the info is pretty exceptional in comparison to other venues I’ve been to (including BSL and autism friendly shows) and includes a caveat to contact them to discuss your needs (which Sofie could use to speak about seating concerns, obviously how they’re respond might be a different matter).
But there are still only a grand total of… 2 wheelchair spaces (2!!!!), a separate entrance and it doesn’t look I could access the bar (petty but I hate people having to go and choose for me when I don’t know what’s available, being able to choose for yourself is something I now really appreciate) - that would be fine for me personally but it’s hardly like disabled people are benefitting from incredible access whilst Sofie’s needs are ignored 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Great and thought provoking posts @littlewonder

PLEASE don’t apologise for feeling sensitive about unfortunate wording. Remember la Soph themselves has basically made a career out of making far bigger mountains out of far smaller molehills!!

You were far too nice and understanding about their dumb and screamingly privileged post IMO, feel free to rinse the delusional churl with no mercy next time!!

• Heart
Great and thought provoking posts @littlewonder

PLEASE don’t apologise for feeling sensitive about unfortunate wording. Remember la Soph themselves has basically made a career out of making far bigger mountains out of far smaller molehills!!

You were far too nice and understanding about their dumb and screamingly privileged post IMO, feel free to rinse the delusional churl with no mercy next time!!
I second this with knobs on!!!
You have absolutely nothing to apologise for. You have every right to feel extremely angry about this and to express it with as much fury and frustration as you feel. I'm really glad that you posted.

• Heart

I think you're absolutely correct. The wording is "all these other people are well catered for, but not me", when the reality is many, many places are still inaccessible or have very limited accessibility for physically disabled people.

It wouldn't be so bad except she's the first to jump on anyone who isn't intersectional in their analysis of any and all situations. She's a collossaland hypocrite with huge privilege and little self awareness and she could have made her point without shitting on disabled people.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
She’s off again. At this point I’m not sure what point she is trying to make.
I used to look after someone who was physically disabled, I won’t go into details but she was paraplegic. We travelled to a scandi country that was so inaccessible I did a full body workout the whole time. If you want a train and use a wheelchair you have to call in advance for them to provide a ramp otherwise they’ll leave you there, there was limited disabled toilets so I had to help her into the ladies and often crawl out to provide her dignity- holding the door from the outside. Her partner was also disabled so they had to employ 2 carers to go away for the weekend. We visited a palace while there (sometimes they make carers (clients) pay, other times not) and simply couldn’t visit parts of it.
She also happened to be pretty brutal about anyone able bodied and simply felt all of her carers and people around her had great lives on account of being able bodied, by Sofies estimation she would be fatphobic too… it was easy to me why she would feel that way, she wasn’t ignorant she had many barriers in her life because of her body. Of course she felt that way about fat able bodied people.
why can’t she ever say ‘I can see how what I said seemed insensitive’ before explaining herself? The lack of humility is astounding.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
As a fat woman I would never even try to equate the issues I have with those of someone disabled, it’s just different. I do struggle sometimes with things like seating but I don’t see why the world should have to change for my size. If you’re disabled then accessibility should be a right, not a privilege

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.