Sofie Hagen

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had the same argument on a Facebook group the other day when someone was showing off their Shein crap. Apparently that’s the only place Americans can buy plus size clothing so you’re not allowed to point out it’s unethical or that poor women made your tit in sweatshops. Fair enough if you don’t care, just don’t pretend to be a feminist when you wear your poorly stitched crap that you think is ‘cute’.

Admittedly there are fewer ethical clothing choices as you get bigger, but they can be found. Or you can opt for second hand. Or just don’t buy loads of pointless tit if you never leave the house anyway.
And I think as far as things go she in must be THE most unethical and environmentally damaging fashion company ? I don’t know if anyone here follows/ knows about Venetia falconer (now la manna, still don’t get why she changed her surname for her husband but hat is totally irrelevant) but she posts a lot about this. The statistics about Sheij in particular are terrifying

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Shein is appalling quality too. There’s always loads of it in our local charity shop with tags still on. I reckon people buy it, can’t be arsed to return it so give it away. It’s always the cheapest, static fabric with poor quality wonky prints. Sort of thing that probably looks OK for an insta photo shoot but is horrible to wear.

Reactions: 6
Shein is appalling quality too. There’s always loads of it in our local charity shop with tags still on. I reckon people buy it, can’t be arsed to return it so give it away. It’s always the cheapest, static fabric with poor quality wonky prints. Sort of thing that probably looks OK for an insta photo shoot but is horrible to wear.
Omg I accidentally bought a dress from a charity shop and wore it to a wedding. It was a loose dress but everytjme
I stood up the whole thing cling to me with static. Will be taking it back to the chazza.

Reactions: 3
Honestly Sofie's explanation of gender identity doesn't make sense to me and I've never heard anyone else in the LGBTQ community talk about it like that.

I don't think just being uncomfortable/unfamiliar with the word 'woman' means you can occupy a space for people who truly sit outside gender norms and/or transition, especially when in all other respects you are binary. I don't particularly like being called a woman but I don't think that has to mean anything - for me the word has a lot of connotations of traditional femininity that I (rightly or wrongly) associate with older women and mothers so can't relate to... But so what? I also like being thought of as 'a person/my name' more than my gender... But who doesn't want to be seen as an individual? If I decided that my discomfort with 'woman' meant I was non-binary (which maybe it does? I don't think so though) then I can also label myself as 'queer' since I'm no longer a cis straight person, and that's another community I can fit myself into without really understanding it.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter, or it wouldn't, if there weren't trans people struggling so hard for recognition and getting their voices heard. But now anyone like Sofie who is non-binary in some small way can occupy those spaces and speak on trans issues which she doesn't really understand - not wanting to fit into 'man' or 'woman' is one thing, but she presents femme, doesn't have gender dysmorphia and still uses she pronouns. And she will get booked as a 'trans' individual to tick diversity boxes instead of someone else because she is white and cis-presenting. It doesn't seem right.

Reactions: 16
Honestly Sofie's explanation of gender identity doesn't make sense to me and I've never heard anyone else in the LGBTQ community talk about it like that.

I don't think just being uncomfortable/unfamiliar with the word 'woman' means you can occupy a space for people who truly sit outside gender norms and/or transition, especially when in all other respects you are binary. I don't particularly like being called a woman but I don't think that has to mean anything - for me the word has a lot of connotations of traditional femininity that I (rightly or wrongly) associate with older women and mothers so can't relate to... But so what? I also like being thought of as 'a person/my name' more than my gender... But who doesn't want to be seen as an individual? If I decided that my discomfort with 'woman' meant I was non-binary (which maybe it does? I don't think so though) then I can also label myself as 'queer' since I'm no longer a cis straight person, and that's another community I can fit myself into without really understanding it.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter, or it wouldn't, if there weren't trans people struggling so hard for recognition and getting their voices heard. But now anyone like Sofie who is non-binary in some small way can occupy those spaces and speak on trans issues which she doesn't really understand - not wanting to fit into 'man' or 'woman' is one thing, but she presents femme, doesn't have gender dysmorphia and still uses she pronouns. And she will get booked as a 'trans' individual to tick diversity boxes instead of someone else because she is white and cis-presenting. It doesn't seem right.
You are spot on. I've always felt uncomfortable about the way she and some like Jack Monroe co-opt trans identities, and you've perfectly articulated it.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.