Social media stalking people you know IRL

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My ex’s girlfriend has blocked my fake Instagram account 😔
I shouldn’t laugh but it is a little funny.

My friend and I were speaking about a really awful ex of mine. I was showing her his third wife on my Facebook as we chatted (he’s blocked) and I got the fear she’d accidentally like her wedding pics from around 10 years ago 🤣

I wasn’t one of his wives and dumped him last century so I couldn’t GAF about either of them but do wonder what a seemingly nice and pleasant looking woman would be doing marrying and breeding with the creep.

Reactions: 3
Oh I had such a weird experience today.
So after three years, the subject of my social media stalking walked past me today, literally two meters away from me. They didn’t see me, too busy looking in the opposite direction.
My heart dropped to my feet, and my blood went cold. I’ve been so desperate to see them, and though I’m glad they didn’t see me - I can’t bare to think what it would have been like, if we locked eyes after all this time. Part of me wishes they did see me, to just feel a small bit of how I’m feeling.
From my stalking, I was able to assume there may be a chance (though small), that I could see them again. What makes today extra weird, is that I’m the only one that experienced our ‘paths crossing’ again! 😞
This happened to me once! I ended up working in a place where they regularly visited (a complete coincidence, I’m not a real life stalker). It was so odd seeing them in real life 😅

Reactions: 2
My sister has a work related FB stalking conundrum she was chatting about at the weekend 😂 I will give all the details and would love to hear your thoughts 💭

She was involved in a recruitment panel with work alongside two people she doesn’t work with, they are with another department. She was drafted in for gender mix.

One of these people let’s call him John, she knows for a number of years in a work capacity.
There was another bloke on the panel, let’s call him William, that’s fairly new to the company so she was sussing out his background on FB, fairly private profile every picture same random selection of people liking them.

They had a virtual shortlisting process and no one involved ‘knew’ any of the candidates.
One candidate, let’s call her Susan Lamont wouldn’t have been my sister’s choice but this bloke William was an advocate & she was shortlisted.

William has been fairly heavy handed on other candidates shortlisting.
So sister went back on her little stalky stalk stalk and someone called Susan Lamont had liked almost every profile/cover pic change William has put up spanning back 8 or 9 years.

And for some Susan even has left a comment which has been acknowledged and responded to.
Bearing in mind William doesn’t seem to have a lot of friends on FB and each of those visible posts are only reaping between 10-30 likes and a handful of comments, this must mean they know each other well. Or maybe Susan is just an old school user of FB and interacts on all her ‘friends’ posts.

On the day of the interviews the panel had some pre interview discussions and small chat. Going back over the application and preparing the interview packs. And no-one ‘knew’ any of the candidates or names sound familiar. Bearing in mind that its part of the process that panel are meant to declare of they have knowledge of any candidates inside or outside of work.

Susan enters room and greetings are the same as for the other candidates- poker faces all round.
She didn’t acknowledge she knew William and William didn’t acknowledge he knows her.

Answers are very much tailoring minimal experience to questions. Sister feels it’s all more preparation and tick box than actual experience and capability.

So on that basis they scored well on interview, sister suspects they may even have been aware of the questions or maybe prepped.
William still doesn’t acknowledge, now that Susan has been sitting in front of them all, that he does indeed know a candidate.

She’s not panel chair and they won’t be working in her area so she thinks sod it let them do what they want.

What she does do however is go back and look at Williams profile and her instincts were in fact correct.

The Susan who has interacted for years on Williams photos is the same living and breathing version of Susan that William greeted like all the other interview ‘strangers’ and got the job!

Sister has now lost any professional respect she might have been developing for William and is astonished at how people can act like that.

She really wants to let someone know things like this shouldn’t happen. Having been the ‘victim’ of nepotism in interview processes myself I can’t blame her.
But she can hardly contact HR and say I was stalking his Facebook profile & they know each other!

• Wow
Reactions: 10
My sister has a work related FB stalking conundrum she was chatting about at the weekend 😂 I will give all the details and would love to hear your thoughts 💭

She was involved in a recruitment panel with work alongside two people she doesn’t work with, they are with another department. She was drafted in for gender mix.

One of these people let’s call him John, she knows for a number of years in a work capacity.
There was another bloke on the panel, let’s call him William, that’s fairly new to the company so she was sussing out his background on FB, fairly private profile every picture same random selection of people liking them.

They had a virtual shortlisting process and no one involved ‘knew’ any of the candidates.
One candidate, let’s call her Susan Lamont wouldn’t have been my sister’s choice but this bloke William was an advocate & she was shortlisted.

So sister went back on her little stalky stalk stalk and someone called Susan Lamont had liked almost every profile/cover pic change William has put up spanning back 8 or 9 years.

And for some Susan even has left a comment which has been acknowledged and responded to.
Bearing in mind William doesn’t seem to have a lot of friends on FB and each of those visible posts are only reaping between 10-30 likes and a handful of comments, this must mean they know each other well. Or maybe Susan is just an old school user of FB and interacts on all her ‘friends’ posts.

On the day of the interviews the panel had some pre interview discussions and small chat. Going back over the application and preparing the interview packs. And no-one ‘knew’ any of the candidates or names sound familiar. Bearing in mind that its part of the process that panel are meant to declare of they have knowledge of any candidates inside or outside of work.

Susan enters room and greetings are the same as for the other candidates- poker faces all round.
She didn’t acknowledge she knew William and William didn’t acknowledge he knows her.

Answers are very much tailoring minimal experience to questions. Sister feels it’s all more preparation and tick box than actual experience and capability.

So on that basis they scored well on interview, sister suspects they may even have been aware of the questions or maybe prepped.
William still doesn’t acknowledge now that Susan has been sitting in front of them all that he does indeed know a candidate.

She’s not panel chair and they won’t be working in her area so she thinks sod it let them do what they want.

What she does do however is go back and look at Williams profile and her instincts were in fact correct.

The Susan who has interacted for years on Williams photos is the same living and breathing version of Susan that William greeted like all the other interview ‘strangers’ and got the job!

Sister has now lost any professional respect she might have been developing for William and is astonished at how people can act like that.

She really wants to let someone know things like this shouldn’t happen. Having been the ‘victim’ of nepotism in interview processes myself I can’t blame her.
But she can hardly contact HR and say I was stalking his Facebook profile & they know each other!
I’d say just let them get on with it.

its crappy and your sister is right not to trust/respect William or Susan in future but if Susan gets hired it makes no odds to your sister (unless Susan turns out to be a dick), whereas if she tells someone then William/Susan could make her working life difficult and other people might think of her a grass, even though she is in the right

Reactions: 7

William still doesn’t acknowledge, now that Susan has been sitting in front of them all, that he does indeed know a candidate.

Can she report it anonymously?

I'd love to be so petty and print off all her likes and post them around the office but I'd be too scared 🤣

Can she not say after the interview she notices somone called Susan come up on her suggested friends on social media, thinking it very strange she investigated and didn't have to lool to far to find that infact Willam and Susan do know each other and have interacted for a number of years? I'd say here's the proof, do what you will with it I wont be mentioning itnto anyone else.

Reactions: 6
I’d say just let them get on with it.

its crappy and your sister is right not to trust/respect William or Susan in future but if Susan gets hired it makes no odds to your sister (unless Susan turns out to be a dick), whereas if she tells someone then William/Susan could make her working life difficult and other people might think of her a grass, even though she is in the right
I would tend to agree 👍

it’s really not worth the aggro and instead it’s better keeping quiet and letting Karma run its course.
---
Can she report it anonymously?

I'd love to be so petty and print off all her likes and post them around the office but I'd be too scared 🤣

Can she not say after the interview she notices somone called Susan come up on her suggested friends on social media, thinking it very strange she investigated and didn't have to lool to far to find that infact Willam and Susan do know each other and have interacted for a number of years? I'd say here's the proof, do what you will with it I wont be mentioning itnto anyone else.
Think she is quietly hoping that if Susan is the old school FB user who adds & interacts with everyone then it will all come out in the wash anyway 😂

Reactions: 1

I can’t even explain how invested I am in this story - this is so the kind of pickle I would usually get myself in by finding out information I’m not supposed to know.
I agree that it’s best to not to do anything but quietly lose any respect for William and not ask his opinion on anything in the future. Silly William.

• Haha
If you go into private mode on Linkedin it means you can look at people without leaving a footprint. But also similarly, it stops you seeing who's looked at your profile.

I like being on private mode because when I was getting notifications about people looking at my profile I hated it. I like being the stalker not the stalkee on social media 😂 😂
I can look at some Linkedin profiles without having joined therefore not logged in, so would a person know that I've looked at them?

• Heart
I can look at some Linkedin profiles without having joined therefore not logged in, so would a person know that I've looked at them?
Not if youre not logged in, no. As a side note, I have a linked in set up under a different name just for looking at other people 😂 I don’t actually have one under my name though

• Haha
Reactions: 13

Soooo I have been your sister and reported something similar to the higher ups; unfortunately the William in my situation was well liked and I found myself being sidelined from that point on.

It’s really frustrating, but I’m now living by that phrase in Bluey “do you want to be right, or do you want to keep playing?”

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
Soooo I have been your sister and reported something similar to the higher ups; unfortunately the William in my situation was well liked and I found myself being sidelined from that point on.

It’s really frustrating, but I’m now living by that phrase in Bluey “do you want to be right, or do you want to keep playing?”
But I want to be right 😬

• Haha

its not what you know it's who you know that gets you on in life! corruption and nepotism in all walks of life!

One thing I will say about stalking is that private accounts are both a blessing and curse!
Curse because obviously you want to know all about them. But at the same time at least then you can't get obsessed etc! Sometimes it's better off not knowing haha

Reactions: 5
I love a good stalk, it's probably the only reason I've kept Facebook in all honesty, I'd love to delete it but I don't so that I can stalk people 😂 I try avoid stalking too much on insta though because I'm always worried I'll accidentally double tap and like a photo from 2009
the thing to remember is you can tell if someone random has been looking at your profile, if you click on the people you may know button, it shows people who are friends with your friends, although it can also show people with no friends in common with your friends if they are first appear on the list the chances are they have been looking at your profile!

Reactions: 5
I also have decoy LinkedIn and don’t think I’ve ever updated my actual own profile since I made it 😂

But my childhood bests friend (forename) neighbours maiden name (surname) on the other hand
- is far more educated than I will ever be
- has highly generic & transferable qualifications
- has a new job almost yearly 😂

• Haha
I also have decoy LinkedIn and don’t think I’ve ever updated my actual own profile since I made it 😂

But my childhood bests friend (forename) neighbours maiden name (surname) on the other hand
- is far more educated than I will ever be
- has highly generic & transferable qualifications
- has a new job almost yearly 😂

I'm a recruiter so probably come at this from a slightly different angle as I have these conversations all day err'day and am hugely passionate about protecting recruitment processes from bias, but I totally would have pulled them up on it. My approach might have differed depending on the workplace dynamics (and it's too late for any of them now as she's got the job), but my fave would be to simply ask in the interview, "How do you and William know each other?" If they play dumb, act surprised right back and say, "Oh that's so weird, I did a quick social media check before the interview and noticed you're connected on Facebook and have been for years?"

I also would have gone off script and asked interview questions that weren't planned, to gauge how Susan responded organically / whether she had in fact been prepped.

If she didn't want to front it personally your sis could have flagged it to the internal recruitment team, or HR if they don't have one (and could absolutely have requested confidentiality if the workplace feels toxic enough for honesty to be a potential issue - social media checks aren't unheard of and this could have easily been presented as done by HR). Either way I definitely think it should have been mentioned. Too late now obvs and it wouldn't necessarily have meant Susan didn't get the job, just that William likely wouldn't have been on the panel and any decision made would have been done so fairly.

• Heart
Reactions: 11