Social media stalking people you know IRL

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have a bit of a dilemma, pre covid I would go to baby and toddler groups weekly, tried to make mum friends, added a couple online, lockdowns hit and any burgeoning friendships got snuffed out, we became internet likes on occasion and nothing more. It’s been three years, at this point it’s too awkward to text and ask to meet up, but I noticed this weekend that one of them is best friends with a mum at my child’s nursery, they’d tagged the woman in lots of stories over the years but I hadn’t twigged it was the one I know (super common name) would it be ok to bring up we have a mutual friend at the next pick up, or is it a bit weird? The baby group girl might not even remember who I am at this point it’s been so long
Not weird at all, just say you saw the pics and recognised her and that you had a mutual acquaintance/friends.. small world etc.

Reactions: 6
I used to stalk people quite regularly, especially on Facebook and end up down rabbit holes of stalking friends of friends etc and I'd get quite invested in people's lives but I saw how unhealthy that was so stopped and have since got rid of Facebook but sometimes I do think "I wonder what so and so is up to?" But I have to stop myself from going back to that because I think it is damaging mentally and I wasted a lot of time worrying about other people and their relationships etc. Like if a couple were together for a long time, and especially if they had children together, I would get so upset at them breaking up and trawl for answers of why. I don't know why I care so much but recently I've found myself doing this again. Someone I was pretty close to about 12+ years ago has just broken up with their long term partner and they have a child. This person is now in a new relationship pretty quickly after the break up and I just cannot fathom what happened and I feel so sorry for the other person (who they broke up with) even though I don't know the person! What is wrong with me? I feel like I get way too invested in other people's lives and need to take a step back.

Reactions: 13
I don't social media stalk as much anymore, usually only when I see something that confuses me mostly, haha. I think I just don't care as much anymore which is probably a healthy thing.

However I saw someone from school put up a Facebook post about their new job in a company I recognize from my industry (tech) in the same city I live (in England but originally from Ireland and this person was living in Ireland until recently). I got into a look and checked LinkedIn as well and found out she's one of these "linkedin influencer" people that posts drivel about working their way up from the bottom to leadership etc! What an eye opener 😂

The best bit is she talks about working class roots how she climbed the ladder etc but I know for a fact her dad owns the company she started out at 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
My ex who owes me (and others) money doesn’t have facebook. Thinks he’s clever by not having social media so no one can find him. But his girlfriend does ( although hardly posts) So one day I look her up and her latest pp is in front of an oddly shaped window. I know a rough area he lives so I go straight to rightmove to look up these strange windows. Found the street, then onto street view, unfortunately for him he was outside the house that clearly displayed his bin number. Took me all of 2mins. Boom, gotcha. Sent him a message saying to send my money and I know he lives at bla bla rd then the postcode. Really freaked him out. I got my money back!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 37
My ex who owes me (and others) money doesn’t have facebook. Thinks he’s clever by not having social media so no one can find him. But his girlfriend does ( although hardly posts) So one day I look her up and her latest pp is in front of an oddly shaped window. I know a rough area he lives so I go straight to rightmove to look up these strange windows. Found the street, then onto street view, unfortunately for him he was outside the house that clearly displayed his bin number. Took me all of 2mins. Boom, gotcha. Sent him a message saying to send my money and I know he lives at bla bla rd then the postcode. Really freaked him out. I got my money back!
Top sleuthing 🧐

See now that is just glorious 🎉🎉

Reactions: 7
We are not worthy!

Reactions: 2
I looked up the girlfriend of a former good friend of ours, we hardly ever talk to them anymore since they moved to the states and both of them had a habit of deleting all SM, so it took a while to find them.
They're married, have two kids, bought a nice house for well over a $ dollars (hello, Streetview) and to my eternal embarrassment I found out that the woman uploads on TikTok and YT. I haven't watched them at all, I actually don't mind her making a bit of money (can't be that much), but I cringe knowing this 😂

I’m super nosy about people’s house prices, ashamedly I have been known to look at the background of their generic “new keys/adventure” social media post and track down the house on Google maps, or get a new acquaintances address and immediately look up the sale history on rightmove 🤦🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 8
Wish we could have a group chat and find people together 😂 I “dated” (😏) someone once but it turned out he lied about everything (name, age, where he lived, that he had a girlfriend) and still to this day I wish I could find him on social media or more information on him. I found out his real name by zooming in on a photo he sent me which had a card with his name on congratulating him on his new house 😂 If anyone has any tips on how I could find out more about him lmk
Guys I can’t believe it. I now know everything about him and more. I can’t believe I posted this not too long ago and what has happened since has blown my mind

Love this!
Good work!

I didn’t have to do any stalking 😏 He contacted me again saying that he wants me back in his life and basically gave me every single bit of information about him with proof to win me over (full name which he proved with his driving licence and bank card, address which he proved by showing me parcels with his name and address on and it matched pictures he’d sent me over the years, he gave me a virtual tour of his house, he showed me all the registration plates on his cars - it goes on and on. I’ve learnt more about him in the past 2 months than I ever did 7 years ago 🤣😭

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
I didn’t have to do any stalking 😏 He contacted me again saying that he wants me back in his life and basically gave me every single bit of information about him with proof to win me over (full name which he proved with his driving licence and bank card, address which he proved by showing me parcels with his name and address on and it matched pictures he’d sent me over the years, he gave me a virtual tour of his house, he showed me all the registration plates on his cars - it goes on and on. I’ve learnt more about him in the past 2 months than I ever did 7 years ago 🤣😭
Ok but is he married? A dozen kids? Why has he suddenly decided you’re his favourite toy again?

Yikes, good riddance!

Oh girl be careful, I know none of us know either of you so we’ve no right to judge but to lie about his name is shady behaviour to start with and it all sounds like a bit of “protesting too much” showing you all that stuff.

Hopefully I am just a cynical old bag but please take care x

Reactions: 4
Oh I had such a weird experience today.
So after three years, the subject of my social media stalking walked past me today, literally two meters away from me. They didn’t see me, too busy looking in the opposite direction.
My heart dropped to my feet, and my blood went cold. I’ve been so desperate to see them, and though I’m glad they didn’t see me - I can’t bare to think what it would have been like, if we locked eyes after all this time. Part of me wishes they did see me, to just feel a small bit of how I’m feeling.
From my stalking, I was able to assume there may be a chance (though small), that I could see them again. What makes today extra weird, is that I’m the only one that experienced our ‘paths crossing’ again! 😞

• Heart
Reactions: 7