Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There’s no cream in carbonara! This is the hill I will die on. It’s egg yolks, pecorino, pasta, guanciale/pancetta and black pepper and nothing else. FFS.

• Heart
Reactions: 51
There’s no cream in carbonara! This is the hill I will die on. It’s egg yolks, pecorino, pasta, guanciale/pancetta and black pepper and nothing else. FFS.
There’s spinach in every one of hers I’ve seen too, chucked into the pasta water at the end.

GRIM! I just saw this in her vinegar and soda water recipe. ”come over all Gillian McKeith on you…”
Jack, I can safely say that NOBODY wants you to do that on them.

ETA thank space you for the carbonara dear @Notmycat interestingly parts of that are verbatim for the one she makes pumpkin Rob too.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
@Valiofthedolls come to bed carbonara

Bonus pic of Jack from the book
ROSEMARY????? Where to even start, ffs.
Rosemary. Does. Not. Belong. In. Pasta. Unless you are a barbarian with no taste or understanding.

The sprout scones reminded me of this Jack collection of festive leftover recipes.

Sprout pesto or sprout pizza anyone? Not trying to get in your niche @Notmycat but sharing as I thought someone may like to try cooking one of these "delights".

She also has an incomplete recipe for leftovers tarts, in it she explains how to make shortcrust pastry by rubbing in the fat and flour, adding the water and then the next instructions are to tip onto a floured worktop and "knead for a few minutes". There would be nothing "short" about Jack's pastry, it would be as hard as a board! It should just be gently brought together, wrapped and chilled for about half an hour.

Not only are her combinations revolting, she truly has no understanding of the basics (but you already know that.)
Ew ew ew.
Forgot to add yesterday that, same as her instructions for the shortcrust pastry, if she had kneaded the scones 'for a few minutes' she could have used them as hockey pucks. Thrifty!

She's never made either, the liar.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
That vindaloo recipe 🤦🏻‍♀️

One large aubergine and 100g of lentils - serves 2-4? Are her friends playmobil people.

Also I’d like to know where the 6 mile run fits in with the terrible arthritis diagnosis timeline.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
@Notmycat could you please post the book version of Come to Bed Carbonaraaa? I’ve got the one that was printed in the Guardian but want to be sure it’s the same as the book one

if anyone else is in a carbonaraaa mood, here’s one. You grate interchangeable cheese over it to finish it and rescue with a roux if it splits. Why rosemary and cream are staples of her carbonaraaas and why Rob is part of her family for pumpkin purposes “the family pumpkin” I could not tell you.

Also, here are Jack’s twatbreads for anyone who fancies following the direction to make “a rough hole” then ”pour in the yeasty water” and yogurt to make your dough. 🤢
I shall be attempting the t*atbreads later on today, dear heart. Let's see if I am clever enough to follow the instructions. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Half way through this thread an absolutely loving the commitment of the Fraus - more it seems than the effort Jack put into a lot of these recipes

I’m laughing at her reading this knowing she can’t reply criticise it as she’ll draw peoples attention to it and all you’re doing is making her recipes to the letter 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I’m a bit behind on this thread - has the ‘headrush spaghetti’ been attempted yet? I would do it myself, but it’s a non vegan recipe and I‘m not sure about veganising it.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
LJC, would somebody please SLOP SOMETHING?
I've been waiting for literally days now for crappy hand tats and can only assume that you want me to DIE.

Some of you aren't doing 100 hr weeks and it SHOWS. Do you have lives or summat?

• Haha
Reactions: 43
@Notmycat dear heart would you mind sharing the recipe for the banana, tea and chickpea curry from A Year in 120 Recipes? I am interested in seeing if it was tweaked when it went into the book. Thank(space)you x
This thread is nuts. Anywhere else you’d assume banana, tea & chickpea curry was a piss take but I’m never actually sure when it’s Jack.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Tattlers! Whilst baby mini ninny is gently sleeping, and rain has left us housebound, me and my OH went on a culinary adventure of the Crappucino. Here’s how it went!
A02D8A59-8025-4005-B229-AFCCA14ACD77.jpeg

we had no whole milk and using SBs oat milk felt wasteful, so semi skimmed it was. I don’t think it would have made a difference. The “recipe” says to add oats, then ice, milk, coffee & sugar - I used a full tablespoon of each - why not just say “put all ingredients in and blend”? This was the blended result:

17949451-9C8E-4CEC-B867-98ACF6703EDC.jpeg

I did not need to add water to loosen it as the recipe suggested I might.
How did it taste? Dire. A full tablespoon of coffee is too much, it was incredibly bitter even with the tablespoon of sugar, it gave me a headache. It was the texture that really made it awful though, I blended it for the few seconds suggested and then did a few more for good measure, but the oat lumps remained. I don’t know what everyone else looks for in an iced coffee, but I’m not after grainy oat lumps. I think the only possible use for this drink would be as a pre-colonoscopy cleanse? OH said he would give it minus points if he could, we’re having cups of tea now instead.
Total cost: 0p as I had all the ingredients in already and therefore do not have to include the cost in my performative weekly shop.
Marks out of 5: 1/5, better as a drain unblocker or if you want to give yourself a headache for some reason.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 105
Was just explaining the slopalong to my 10yo daughter and showed her some of the recipes. “Her house probably smells disgusting after making all of those things!”

Out of the mouths of babes 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.