Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Cooking on a Bootstrap has 'Lardy Buns' which I would assume are the same thing? @Notmycat
But the guardian version might be the original from 2014 vs book 2018.

ETA lardy buns also appeared on her website the day after it was in the guardian (as lardy cake)
Guardian - 26/11/2014
Website - 27/11/2014
Pretty funny she has "First published in the Guardian, November 2014" when it was the day before haha
How does that work then

Last edited:
Reactions: 15
I think it was @Valiofthedolls who suggested doing a collection of our own budget-friendly recipes too. That could be put on a website or some such so that food banks and organizations helping folks in need could send their clients there instead of sloppingonabootstrap.com

Reactions: 27
If so, I’d be grateful for the original in the event of any sub editor edits in the Grauniad version?
I edited my post above but I think the most unadulterated version would be her website, she goes on about yeast being living and how she used to use boiling water etc. lol which has all been removed for The Guardian. The basting egg becomes optional for The Guardian and she has costing on the website.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17
I don’t know how you will follow the recipe. She tells you to make a well with no further explanation. How will you figure out what this means???

I want to make a dessert to follow my “inside of a food waste bin” main course. Can’t decide between these two. Anyone want to cast a vote?

Or actually even this potential monstrosity

Last edited:
Reactions: 22

Mmmm, food poisoning.

Reactions: 38
Good Evening dear Ninnies,

Fat garlic cloves info...🧄🧄🧄

I was reading the Delia book with the eggs on the cover last night and she refers to fat cloves throughout.

I thought this was a Jack/Nigella thing but it appears not... is this an actual cooking term?

If this is obvious to you all then sorry, go well
Eta. Thanks for your brave slopping your are Heroninnies

Reactions: 18
I made the ice cream cake. It was terrible. It tasted of ice cream but not in a good way, in a cloying “freezing changes the flavour and once unfrozen it isn’t that nice” way. It went in the bin.

Reactions: 29
I made the Lardy buns once. I shan’t say anymore but fascinated to see how they turn out if you make them.
I have been lurking on this thread and enjoying it. Particularly because I hadn’t realised how much making her recipes had turned me off cooking because I felt they were my fault if they didn’t work. Seeing that they are just not designed to work (in most cases) is very reassuring.

Reactions: 51
Disingenuous to say the least - a reasonable amount of dried pasta for an adult (especially if that's your main meal in the day) would be 100g. She has done and is still doing so much damage.

Yep.
Pasta is still pretty cheap anyway if you buy the basic version, it's invariably included in food bank supplies, so there's no real need to stint on it. Pasta isn't just a carb, it also contains a decent amount of protein (as does bread) due to the wheat so it's really a very useful food to eat on a low budget diet.

I don't who is keeping score, but I donated to 2 of our local food banks, £5 each. Had to do it instore, sorry no screenshot so I don't know it it counts?
Just in recognition of the great slopslingers on this thread.

Reactions: 32
Let’s go direct to the source. After all, we are nothing if we are not forensic.

Reactions: 17
I made the ice cream cake. It was terrible. It tasted of ice cream but not in a good way, in a cloying “freezing changes the flavour and once unfrozen it isn’t that nice” way. It went in the bin.
Yeah, there's too many added things in standard icecream, like emulsifiers, stabilisers and various oils for it to be a simple substitute for fat and sugar in a cake. Especially on the cheaper end of the ice cream scale, where the milk and cream is replaced with milk powder and vegetable oils. It's a bit better if you're using a really good cream/custard based icecream, but a small tub of that is generally more expensive than buying a cake in the first place.

It's fine when it's frozen, as you experience and taste very cold foods in a different way to hot food (ie a lot of vanilla or fake strawberry flavourings will not be so cloying or overpowering in a frozen treat as it will be when warmed and a lot of the aromatic compounds become more volatile and more easily perceived by the person eating)

Reactions: 36
I’m intrigued …

Reactions: 10
I want to make a dessert to follow my “inside of a food waste bin” main course. Can’t decide between these two. Anyone want to cast a vote?
Something billed as tasting like a pile of melted Jaffa cakes sounds absolutely horrid, I'd go for that one.

Reactions: 31
that's a brilliant idea

I'm tempted to do a comparison of jack's slop 'tattie scones' versus some good old fashioned basic ones - taste, nutrition and cost
ìf we are going to do a jack tweek of recipes this should be on a separate thread, there should be no mistake that the nice tasting stuff is anything to do with her recipes (depressipes)

Reactions: 26
Warning: gross details below, possible trigger..

Melted ice cream is supposed to be popular among people with eating disorders because allegedly when it's eaten it helps other food slide out more easily if you purge . That was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw melted ice cream as an ingredient in some of her recipes. I mean, not too many other cooks use it, probably because of the potential for food poisoning that @colouredlines mentioned.

Reactions: 34
Crying. Grunking and crying. Is there a legs crossed emoji?!

Now, all of you fuck off. This shouldn't be allowed on t'interweb.

Reactions: 19
Of course not!

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.