Slimming World #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
SW is a joke. Grown women talking about being naughty and using syns! WTF is that made up tit about?? The Godawful dry unappetising food,- the crappy muller lights, full of chemicals, and encouraging people to eat copious quantities of heavily processed meat is all a recipe for failure. The SW huns would have a funny turn at talk of eating an avocado or using some real oil or butter😀 As for the ‘consultants’ Most of them are overweight, know nothing about nutrition, and seem to actively discourage excercise. can’t believe people actually pay for this crap!

Reactions: 15
This is me to a T. Binge eater through and through. I even went to see my GP and burst into tears in his office, he made me feel like an idiot and had never even heard of binge eating disorder. He was an hole, and I didn't go bacn. So I'm back to slimming world 🙄.
Honestly am so tired of being on plan, or off and bingeing. I know slimming world doesn't help but I do lose weight on it. I prefer calorie counting but working permanent nights at the moment it's just not do-able for me. Wonder if I'll ever be free of the worries surrounding food!
You absolutely can but dont be taken in by anyone asking you to pay them to sort it out with any sort of 'diet plan' if you have eating issues, there is no plan out there to fix it.

Know there are others who are in the same boat as you and Im so sorry that your GP didnt help :( the health system is so fat phobic. Theyre so happy to point out that we are overweight but dont want to actually help.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
So I’ve been lurking on these threads and feel I need to throw my thoughts in...

I was realllly into SW, loved it, lost 3 stone. I actually maintained for a long time but hit a rough patch in life and put it all back on- plus some!

I’m 6 months post partum with 3 stone to lose and naturally turned to SW- it’s what I know! But suddenly with a baby and less time it just wasn’t working and I felt pretty miserable. I stumbled across these threads and what people were saying about CC. Let me tell you I have massively been against it- I was worried it would fuel my obsessive nature about food. But your comments convinced me...

I’m 10 days in and I’ve lost 5Ib, but more importantly I have really enjoyed it. I’ve eaten pastry, butter, olive oil, all the same things as my family. I haven’t had to think much beyond planning and tracking with Nutracheck. It’s life changing. Please give it a go if SW isn’t working for you. I genuinely think this will mend a lot of my problems with food, it feels like a bit of a reset teaching me how to eat normally and enjoy my food again.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I keep seeing these SW influencer wankers making fakeaways for the gram that are higher in calories than the actual takeaway 😂😂 are they bleeping stupid? Then the insta huns are all over it trying to copy 💀 slimming world is not the issue, the bleeping morons doing it are.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
I keep seeing these SW influencer wankers making fakeaways for the gram that are higher in calories than the actual takeaway 😂😂 are they bleeping stupid? Then the insta huns are all over it trying to copy 💀 slimming world is not the issue, the bleeping morons doing it are.
Yes!! The breakfast muffins are the same or more cals than an actual McMuffin. I make fakeaway McMuffins for my kids cause its cheaper 🙈

I dont actually blame people though, its the terminology used... 'free food' and 'syns' your brain cant help but say oh good and bad with those words and phrases attached. I nearly died when I found out just how many calories was in a standard baked spud with beans, cheese (30g) and salad that Id pick over a wrap or sandwich cause its free food vs syns.

Reactions: 8
I have to be honest, the only time I have successfully lost weight is on SW. with calorie counting I will find a way to eat 1700 calories of tit before lunchtime and then complain I’m hungry the rest of the day and give up 😂

SW made me eat healthy foods which wouldn’t get a second glance were I CC, however appreciate that is my mindset rather than a problem with CC!

I don’t like Instagram cult culture of either anymore tbh, some people post good healthy SW meals but others just seem to try and find ways to twist it so you can eat unhealthy junk still 🤷🏻‍♀️

Also the main thing I used to find HILARIOUS was when people would be like ‘oh just eating a chocolate bar for 5 syns and an Apple for speed’ 🤦🏻‍♀️

WTF? Consultants should explain better that speed with every meal means to REPLACE some of the food on your plate. Not that just adding speed to your meal without taking anything away will equal weight loss. Obviously thats just adding calories?

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Consultants should explain better that speed with every meal means to REPLACE some of the food on your plate. Not that just adding speed to your meal without taking anything away will equal weight loss. Obviously thats just adding calories?
Nice timing. In our last zoom yesterday this was one of the key messages emphasised in a ‘back to basics’ chat that’s supposed to be mirrored in every group.

The consultant said that they had heard from people having a chicken balls and chips Chinese takeaway ‘but then had 2 apples for speed’ as if it was going to cancel it out! Some people are just thick though.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I lost 6 stone on slimming world! I had my little boy and got really bad PND which resulted in me putting it all back on plus an extra stone. I've tried calorie counting and weight watchers since and I just cant do it! So I'm starting sw again tomorrow because it's the only diet that has worked for me. I actually follow the plan correctly though 🤣🤣 no biscoff for me!!
Well done on losing it first time around, that’s an amazing achievement, hope you’re doing okay.

this is one of my biggest issues with slimming world. For me it doesn’t work in the long term. It doesn’t instil new eating habits, you’re just working around old ones and usually end up putting weight back on (talking from personal experience)

it also doesn’t teach portion control in my opinion. You can have a meal stacked high with pasta, chicken, and it’s all “free food” which to me just didn’t teach me at all about portion sizing, not being greedy and over eating. Not much about nutrition either. I do think it’s great for people that have no idea how to start and if I works for you great, but I just don’t know if it’s sustainable.

and another thing I found strange, I’ve done about 3 different slimming world groups over the years and all the instructors (who went on and on about how many years they’d followed the plans) were allquite overweight themselves. Always baffled me, if it worked they’d be living proof surely. You wouldn’t have an overweight person as a personal trainer.

Reactions: 12
Nice timing. In our last zoom yesterday this was one of the key messages emphasised in a ‘back to basics’ chat that’s supposed to be mirrored in every group.

The consultant said that they had heard from people having a chicken balls and chips Chinese takeaway ‘but then had 2 apples for speed’ as if it was going to cancel it out! Some people are just thick though.
This doesn't surprise me at all. Some SW members really think the foods classified as "speed" are a form of metabolism amphetamine. They believe eating them will speed up their metabolism, and like you said, cancel out other foods.

Reactions: 11
Well done on losing it first time around, that’s an amazing achievement, hope you’re doing okay.

this is one of my biggest issues with slimming world. For me it doesn’t work in the long term. It doesn’t instil new eating habits, you’re just working around old ones and usually end up putting weight back on (talking from personal experience)

it also doesn’t teach portion control in my opinion. You can have a meal stacked high with pasta, chicken, and it’s all “free food” which to me just didn’t teach me at all about portion sizing, not being greedy and over eating. Not much about nutrition either. I do think it’s great for people that have no idea how to start and if I works for you great, but I just don’t know if it’s sustainable.

and another thing I found strange, I’ve done about 3 different slimming world groups over the years and all the instructors (who went on and on about how many years they’d followed the plans) were allquite overweight themselves. Always baffled me, if it worked they’d be living proof surely. You wouldn’t have an overweight person as a personal trainer.
I couldnt agree more with everything you've said.

I know lots of people who have dropped a lot of weight quickly with SW but every single one of them has put it all back on. I think the true key to any weight loss plan is that it has to be sustainable. You have to reset your habits and unlimited pasta and speed isn't going to do that!

Reactions: 4
Disordered eating can appear at any time in a persons life for many different reasons. Slimming World caused mine, before that there was zero issue and tbh when I first walked in there with a friend, I was 5 foot 6 and just over 10 stone. The correct thing to do would have been to turn me around and show me the door. But no, on paper my minimum “healthy” weight was 9 stone 1. Took my money and in my head I thought oh my god I must be too big or they wouldn’t have let me join. Belittling others experiences and eye rolling really isn’t the one here. Whatever works for the individual is great. From the thread title I was under the impression good and bad would be shared here. Written a paragraph….my bad
ETA at my height, at 9.1 I look like a walking bag of bones
omg it’s so bad that they didn’t say your the perfect weight for your height. Just shows it’s all about the money 💰. It’s crazy they you would be allowed to go down to 9 stone 1 you would look anorexic like that. Just shocking.

Reactions: 3
omg it’s so bad that they didn’t say your the perfect weight for your height. Just shows it’s all about the money 💰. It’s crazy they you would be allowed to go down to 9 stone 1 you would look anorexic like that. Just shocking.
All about the money! Now I’m a while away from it I can see it more clearly ❤

Reactions: 4
There’s an account that keeps popping up on my page, she only has 3000 followers so I can’t mention her but her meals look soo disordered and disgusting! 🤢
She had a baby only a few weeks ago and was literally back on slimming world the next day, I thought it was quite sad that she felt that disordered she had to go straight back on it ☹

Attachments

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
There’s an account that keeps popping up on my page, she only has 3000 followers so I can’t mention her but her meals look soo disordered and disgusting! 🤢
She had a baby only a few weeks ago and was literally back on slimming world the next day, I thought it was quite sad that she felt that disordered she had to go straight back on it ☹
Oh wow that is so sad 😞 the poor woman

Reactions: 3
The one that gets me is when there’s sprouts and baked beans on the same plate 🤢.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 5
I lost 6 stone on slimming world in 6 months dropped from a size 22 to a 6. At first i follwed the plan and was losing well and became suddenly spurred on my the applause every week and then the disordered eating and behaviour began. I avoided going out with friends as i cudnt fit it in the the plan. I rang my consultant in tears 1 time when id caved and eaten dominos. then Id began restrict myself try and do the 'speed days' or whatever they were called where u basically didnt eat carbs. Eating weird combos like crab sticks and picked onions then id be so hungry id binge and make myself sick i started going to 3 excerise classes a day barely eating anything, binging at night then being sick all to receive that round of applause and slimmer of the week. I was woman of the year, got put forward for the national miss slinky etc not once did any1 even bat an eyelid that this weight loss was rediculous rapid and i was obsessed i got to target and carried on loosing. No alarms bells rang still i was given another certificate and told to reduce my target weight. I was the perfect 'before and after' advert for slimming world but at what cost? That was a few years ago now. Ive gained back 4 stone have a horrible relationship with food and the worst part is that terribly ill skinny girl was still so much more socially acceptable than somebody overweight when i can 100 percent guarentee u my health at that point was anything but healthy. I do believe the only true way is to eat a balanced varied diet and get moving and the weight comes off slowly but unfortunately i feel i will always be stuck with these food demons but i would never recommend slimming world to anybody now and i used to litrally be their walking advert

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Alot of the big accounts have disordered eating. Particularly noticeable after doing anything that involves time 'off plan'. Also, pre-panic from people who have plans coming up. Some of the big accounts have lost too much weight, but I believe have body dysmorphia, the panic sets in the minute they know they have had a few days indulging more than they ever normally allow. This is scary and a slippery slope to more serious eating disorders.

Reactions: 5
I lost 6 stone on slimming world in 6 months dropped from a size 22 to a 6. At first i follwed the plan and was losing well and became suddenly spurred on my the applause every week and then the disordered eating and behaviour began. I avoided going out with friends as i cudnt fit it in the the plan. I rang my consultant in tears 1 time when id caved and eaten dominos. then Id began restrict myself try and do the 'speed days' or whatever they were called where u basically didnt eat carbs. Eating weird combos like crab sticks and picked onions then id be so hungry id binge and make myself sick i started going to 3 excerise classes a day barely eating anything, binging at night then being sick all to receive that round of applause and slimmer of the week. I was woman of the year, got put forward for the national miss slinky etc not once did any1 even bat an eyelid that this weight loss was rediculous rapid and i was obsessed i got to target and carried on loosing. No alarms bells rang still i was given another certificate and told to reduce my target weight. I was the perfect 'before and after' advert for slimming world but at what cost? That was a few years ago now. Ive gained back 4 stone have a horrible relationship with food and the worst part is that terribly ill skinny girl was still so much more socially acceptable than somebody overweight when i can 100 percent guarentee u my health at that point was anything but healthy. I do believe the only true way is to eat a balanced varied diet and get moving and the weight comes off slowly but unfortunately i feel i will always be stuck with these food demons but i would never recommend slimming world to anybody now and i used to litrally be their walking advert
I hope you’re okay. Some bad relationships from food stem from trauma, in my circumstance from childhood. Unfortunately Slimming World gives you the tools to still overeat/binge on the “healthy” stuff so it really doesn’t teach about nutrition or potion control at all. And in some cases can really go the opposite way. The whole mind set of good and bad foods can be the cause of so much guilt and self punishment.
I personally think it should be something that’s taught compulsory and in depth in schools so you already have all the knowledge growing up.

Reactions: 6
I think the wellness industry is a bit of an odd place at the minute. You have people shouting about ‘anti diet culture’ and bashing SW and WW whilst the calorie counting clubs are acting all superior. The thing is, having issues with food (binging, dieting to extremes) are mental health issues. When my father in law had cancer and our lives were turned upside down, I focused so much on WW and weightloss as an escape that I took it too far. Now I’m at the opposite end where I over eat because I associate with being bigger as keeping everyone safe (I see a therapist and am working on the mindset). There will be points in someone’s life when they will need to diet. How they do it is up to them. Not everyone knows how to eat ‘normally’, if we did there would be no obesity crisis and people with anorexia wouldn’t be ignored by the NHS due to the lack of funding. Most accounts that bash SW have something to gain (it gets a lot of traffic/comments and advertises their own company who claim to free you from whatever cycle they say you are in). Now I’m not a fan of SW personally but every diet has its flaws. Nutrition and weight management should be taught in schools. MH services need a massive influx of cash and online PTs need to be better regulated. The weightloss industry is big business and everyone wants a slice of the pie (no pun intended). If anyone reading this is struggling with food issues, speak to your Gp, they can refer you to programmes ran by counsellors who treat the ‘why’ and help you get to the root cause as well as teaching about calories and nutrition.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.