Skin care - tell me all of the advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Sephora Collection Brightening eye cream is a nice mid-range option. If you have dark circles like me (and not so much undereye wrinkles), The Ordinary's Caffeine solution is a good, affordable option. It does seem to calm those undereye bags down. Basically anything with caffeine help depuff the under eyes.

I am a Avene/Bioderma junkie and their products always work for me. I use their cleanser, moisturizer, and thermal water sprays. Also the La Roche Posay effaclar duo is great as a spot treatment.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I use tropic. I have tried many brands I also like white rabbit skin care if you're looking for a vegan optiond. I couldn't care less about the MLM part of tropic, my skin has never been better, only wish I'd found it sooner

Does anybody have any tips/had good experiences for helping large pores?
Despite claims of various skincare brands, from what I understand you can’t shrink large pores, just minimise their appearance. Estée Lauder’s idealist is really good for this but it’s pricy. They should give you a decent size sample however. There’s lots of products that will decrease their visibility but they are cosmetic rather than skin-care as such. Silicone primers will fill and blur them for instance. I think it helps to keep skin looking fairly matt so that the light doesn’t reflect around them.

With eye cream it depends if your problem is puffiness, creepiness, dark circles... so on. The skin thins around the eyes but one of the best things is to not run and drag the eye area.
This probably isn’t ok and will get removed but you’re allowed to ‘look inside’ on amazon 🤷🏼‍♀️ below is Caroline Hiron’s take. I don’t like her, the book was a gift yesterday And I’ve not read it as yet, but I think she generally knows what she’s talking about.
48A5E1E2-402D-409D-A4DC-23EA76B6709C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Does anybody have any tips/had good experiences for helping large pores?
you cant really “shrink” them but I’ve found retinol has helped massively to make them less visible than they were. I’m always going to have them it’s just my skin and genetics etc but I genuinely think it’s helped mine

Reactions: 2
This is a really useful thread so thanks for starting it!

I'm in early 30s and my skin isn't especially bad, but it's not good either. I don't have problems with acne or wrinkles (yet!) but my skin quite dull looking and scars easily.

I also feel like in the last year or two my dark circles have dramatically worsened and my eyes have changed shape somehow, they used to be lovely almond shaped but now seem less so and more sunken. Eyeliner no longer seems to look as good as it did and my waterline somehow seems more swollen than it used to be.

Any good eyecream and eyecare tips? I am of Indian descent and I know the dark circles thing is pretty common. Have tried the Ordinary caffeine solution but didn't find it made any difference. Happy to splurge on a decent eye cream but just want it to be the right one!
Hey I've got similar issues to you and definitely started to notice dark circles as well as some pigmentation. Over the last few months I've intorduced vitamin c into my routine as well as chemical exfoliator 2 or 3 times a week. My dark circles have improved dramatically!

Superdrug naturally radiant range has some exfoliating pads that are cheap so worth trying out. I've used a few different vitamin C serums and there's quite a few inexpensive ones like the Ordinary, Superdrug Vitamin C, Revolution.

Good luck x

Superdrug naturally radiant range has some exfoliating pads that are cheap so worth trying out.
If you like these and they work for you you’d like the nip+fab glycolic extreme ones (they go on offer on amazon and Superdrug regularly) - they’re like the Superdrug ones on steroids - absolute game changer for me

Reactions: 3
you cant really “shrink” them but I’ve found retinol has helped massively to make them less visible than they were. I’m always going to have them it’s just my skin and genetics etc but I genuinely think it’s helped mine
Thank you, I have a bottle of retinol actually I bought for a scar so I will give that a go on my face, is there a particular brand you use?

Despite claims of various skincare brands, from what I understand you can’t shrink large pores, just minimise their appearance. Estée Lauder’s idealist is really good for this but it’s pricy. They should give you a decent size sample however. There’s lots of products that will decrease their visibility but they are cosmetic rather than skin-care as such. Silicone primers will fill and blur them for instance. I think it helps to keep skin looking fairly matt so that the light doesn’t reflect around them.
View attachment 271899
Thanks I will see if I can get some samples 😊 I’d be willing to pay if it genuinely works.
I tried a variety of silicone primers and find it doesn’t sit right under my foundation.
I just get so jealous of people with smooth skin but I guess that’s life and genetics 🙈

I’d recommend checking out Reddit SkincareAddiction. It’s pretty intense but there’s a wiki which covers EVERYTHING - how to build a routine, which ingredients to use for particular issues, holy grail products, useless/damaging products. People post before & afters so you can see what could be achievable for your skin. You can also ask questions - the user base seems really knowledgeable. I’ve not been interested in skincare for long but I feel like I’ve learned so much and my skin is looking better than it has done in years

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Has anyone tried Dr Sam Bunting’s range? I like the idea of just having 3-4 products and that cover all bases

Thank you, I have a bottle of retinol actually I bought for a scar so I will give that a go on my face, is there a particular brand you use?

Thanks I will see if I can get some samples 😊 I’d be willing to pay if it genuinely works.
I tried a variety of silicone primers and find it doesn’t sit right under my foundation.
I just get so jealous of people with smooth skin but I guess that’s life and genetics 🙈
yes I use The Ordinary 1% retinol in Squalene 👍

What is retinol used for ?

I’ve been using witch hazel from any chemist or home bargains on a cotton pad after I wash my face and when I ran out I noticed loads more under the skin spots appearing (not red but raised) and when I began to use again they begin to disappear!

if I don’t manage to wash my skin thoroughly for a couple of days, they come back (always around the chin) so along with witch hazel I dab sudocrem on my chin area at night which helps to dry the area out and they disappear

I’ve been using witch hazel from any chemist or home bargains on a cotton pad after I wash my face and when I ran out I noticed loads more under the skin spots appearing (not red but raised) and when I began to use again they begin to disappear!

if I don’t manage to wash my skin thoroughly for a couple of days, they come back (always around the chin) so along with witch hazel I dab sudocrem on my chin area at night which helps to dry the area out and they disappear
Retinol is Vitamin A which initially used as a spot treatment as it resurfaces the skin. Since then it's mainly used for anti-ageing so fine lines, smoothing the skin, etc.

Differin is one of the original spot treating retinols so might be worth trying. I don't have any personal experience of using it though.

Reactions: 3

What are you using to clean your face? Cleanser?

Sounds like it would be good to look at this as you've mentioned the spots appear when you don't get to wash your face thoroughly

I watch a lot of YouTube videos from a girl named LaBeautyologist, and her videos have changed my life especially the 60 second rule (cleansing your face using your fingers only for at least 60 seconds) avoid really abrasive products like cleansers with exfoliating beads, exfoliating brushes etc. La Roche posay sunscreen is amazing especially if you have darker skin that is susceptible to scarring, in particular the spray version as you can reapply over make up and doesn’t leave a white caste.

Reactions: 4
What are you using to clean your face? Cleanser?

Sounds like it would be good to look at this as you've mentioned the spots appear when you don't get to wash your face thoroughly
Tbh whatever I have in, sometimes it’s simple face wash, the clean and clear blackhead one I think is good, sometimes I use neutrogena face wash. I also use one of those exfoliation gloves every couple of days and that really helps to clear things up

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.