Skin care - tell me all of the advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Ordinary do really great HA and niacinamide serums - you can use them both together. Niacinamide works to reduce pores, even skin tone and control oil. So it’s a good all rounder. It isn’t an acid. Vit C serum is great combined with SPF - Superdrug do a good one for about £5 🙂 x

Niacinamide can help ease the ‘harshness’ of retinol so use before. However the LRP I find gentle enough to use without. Maybe use niacinamide the morning after retinol to help with any potential redness? X
you should start your own blog! thank you so much x

• Heart
Reactions: 5
you should start your own blog! thank you so much x
Hi there. Sorry to jump in on your conversation - niacinamide is often built into other serums and moisturisers. So rather than adding another step into your routine you could just use a moisturiser which has it already in. Eg Cerave facial moisturiser contains ceramides, niacinamide and hyaluronic acid (if you want that too), so it will work lovely with your retinol. There are lots of others out there too, just basic moisturisers, nothing fancy, that have lovely soothing ingredients like glycerin, that will be great if you’re using retinol.

Yep, anything B3 is niacinamide so look out for that in moisturisers/serums.

This retinol has b3 in it (and its also on offer too!)

x

Reactions: 2
Yep, anything B3 is niacinamide so look out for that in moisturisers/serums.

This retinol has b3 in it (and its also on offer too!)

x
Yeah I also love the LRP retinol, it’s a lovely product, it’s similar has b3 in. Really soothing compared to other retinols and leaves your skin feeling like glass the next morning.

Sorry for the questions but could I use this in the morning and the LRP retinol in the night? (just ordered that one)
Don’t be sorry! I’m glad I can help with what ‘knowledge’ I have 🤣

Yeah you can. Although if you’re new to retinol then maybe skip a day with the vit c on a morning as your skin will be sensitive from the retinol on a morning.

• Heart
I'm currently using the La Roche Posay retinol (the retinol + b3 serum) however I also use niacinamide. Is it silly to use these together (I'm currently only using the retinol product 3 nights a week) on the same evenings if both products are/contain vitamin b3?
I would probably not use them together. Maybe just use the regular niacinamide on non LRP retinol nights?
Too much niacinamide can cause redness and sensitivity. https://www.allure.com/story/niacinamide-skin-care-redness-side-effect

@petitspois A great YouTube channel for information on skincare is Dr Shereene Idris. She’s really excellent at explaining ingredients and how they work and discusses products at all different price points. I discovered her after she was reccomended in the Sali Hughes thread.
@under the ivy has also given you fab advice! The only think I would add is start simply. Introduce a new product at a time and wait and see how your skin goes. You will find what works for you (and it might end up less steps than Caroline’s book advises).

Last edited:
  • Heart
I would probably not use them together. Maybe just use the regular niacinamide on non LRP retinol nights?
Too much niacinamide can cause redness and sensitivity. https://www.allure.com/story/niacinamide-skin-care-redness-side-effect

@petitspois A great YouTube channel for information on skincare is Dr Shereene Idris. She’s really excellent at explaining ingredients and how they work and discusses products at all different price points. I discovered her after she was reccomended in the Sali Hughes thread.
@under the ivy has also given you fab advice! The only think I would add is start simply. Introduce a new product at a time and wait and see how your skin goes. You will find what works for you (and it might end up less steps than Caroline’s book advises).
thank you! I really need to up my game, I can't believe how many products I should be using!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
thank you! I really need to up my game, I can't believe how many products I should be using!
Don’t fall into the trap of buying loads of stuff. You really don’t need too many products. Just start with the basics, work out what your skin likes and can tolerate, and only add to it if you feel you need to 😊

Enjoy!

Yes I agree - you don’t need all of the products Caroline’s book mentions. I’ve made that mistake before! I just think HA, Vit C and Niacinamide are good all rounders.

let us know how you get on! X

Reactions: 6
I’ve got really bad open pores/scarring on my nose so I’ll definitely be trying this thanks so much
No problem! Hope it helps. Just make sure you patch test and don't leave it on too long otherwise it feels a bit sore like sunburn. Also it's very drying so moisturise well afterwards. 😊

I think the confusing thing for me is I read what I should be doing and I get it, I just need help finding products that are likely to be suitable (i.e. the popular ones) rather than a really long and costly game of trial and error. I'm really thankful for the tips I've had here this week.

What I find hard is when you then see fb posts or clips and people talk about applying one thing in the morning, another in the night, one about 3 times a week but never the same day as A, applying B in the summer but never in winter, C mixed in with moisturiser but never near the eyes and D is essential but never too often. It's a minefield.

I'm also really conscious that it seems to be relatively new to massive popularity so I'm trying to keep perspective and think 'does that person who is recommending you do those things actually look good?'.

Reactions: 7
I have a question about retinol - I’ve just started using the ordinary retinol (0.5%). I actually bought it by accident as I meant to buy the granactive retinoid which is more gentle but though I may as well try this now I have it! I’ve been putting it on my face at night after I shower, and using a normal day cream with spf during the day. I’ve been using it about 8 days and still notice a lot of dry/flaky skin under my eyes and around my nose. My skin feels a bit sunburnt. Is this part of the normal adjustment process? I’m worried I’m just allergic to it and should stop using it!

I have a question about retinol - I’ve just started using the ordinary retinol (0.5%). I actually bought it by accident as I meant to buy the granactive retinoid which is more gentle but though I may as well try this now I have it! I’ve been putting it on my face at night after I shower, and using a normal day cream with spf during the day. I’ve been using it about 8 days and still notice a lot of dry/flaky skin under my eyes and around my nose. My skin feels a bit sunburnt. Is this part of the normal adjustment process? I’m worried I’m just allergic to it and should stop using it!
Sounds like you are having a retinol reaction. Don’t put retinol anywhere near your eyes please.

Are your showers piping hot? If you like a really hot shower leave your skin to settle for a while before you apply your night time skin bits, especially as you are using stuff with active ingredients.

Also, you using the retinol every night? Please don’t do this. You need to build up your tolerance when it comes to anything with retinol or vit A.

I would defo reduce your use of the retinol for now, and phase it back in slowly. As your skin has been sensitised use a nice basic moisturiser on the nights your not using the retinol

Hope that helps a bit 😘 xxxxx

Reactions: 3
Sounds like you are having a retinol reaction. Don’t put retinol anywhere near your eyes please.

Are your showers piping hot? If you like a really hot shower leave your skin to settle for a while before you apply your night time skin bits, especially as you are using stuff with active ingredients.

Also, you using the retinol every night? Please don’t do this. You need to build up your tolerance when it comes to anything with retinol or vit A.

I would defo reduce your use of the retinol for now, and phase it back in slowly. As your skin has been sensitised use a nice basic moisturiser on the nights your not using the retinol

Hope that helps a bit 😘 xxxxx
Ah thanks I thought that using it consistently would help my skin build up a tolerance quicker 🤦‍♀️ I’m clueless with this stuff! When I say around my eyes I meant more my upper cheek area really, I definitely don’t put it on my eyelids that’s for sure (I steer clear from putting anything on my eyelid or brow bone as I suffer from contact dermatitis/eczema there).

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I think the confusing thing for me is I read what I should be doing and I get it, I just need help finding products that are likely to be suitable (i.e. the popular ones) rather than a really long and costly game of trial and error. I'm really thankful for the tips I've had here this week.
It honestly is a nightmare! I got Caroline’s book fairly recently, after buying a load of LRP skincare, (buying what was recommended via their online skincare quiz), and ending up with the worlds greasiest moisturiser and a toner which was far too strong for my sensitive skin.

I then bought about 5 products from The Ordinary, again the actives were far too much for me (despite them being the gentlest ones and recommended for sensgiceand made my skin worse, although I did like the cleanser and moisturiser. Probably spent about £80 up to this point and no better off 🤦🏻‍♀️

I have now stripped everything back to a dermatica prescription and a hydrating cleanser and moisturiser. However, I bought CeraVe cleanser and moisturiser, and neutrogena’s hydration gel as it seemed to be everyone’s recommendations for pretty much anything on the skincare freaks Facebook page.. and don’t really think they’re great either. The neutrogena one is soooo fragranced it made my skin react instantly.

Part of me thinks I should have just carried on doing what I was before with my usual products. I also really wish I’d read Caroline’s thread on here before getting that book 😂🤦🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 8
I bought Caroline’s book, had a flick through and realised it was her blog in paper form. So I sold it. I find her routine a bit much tbh - you don’t need acid everyday!

I’m heading to Primark this afternoon and I’m going to look at their skincare bits. The Alex Steinherr range is really good.

Reactions: 7
Ah thanks I thought that using it consistently would help my skin build up a tolerance quicker 🤦‍♀️ I’m clueless with this stuff! When I say around my eyes I meant more my upper cheek area really, I definitely don’t put it on my eyelids that’s for sure (I steer clear from putting anything on my eyelid or brow bone as I suffer from contact dermatitis/eczema there).
No probs 😘 I know what you mean you would think that would make more sense but with any actives slow and steady wins the race!!! A lot of people don’t realise that you can do damage when not using acids correctly, Instagrammers have a lot to answer for lol

Hope it settles for you 😘 xxx

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.