Skin care - tell me all of the advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think the confusing thing for me is I read what I should be doing and I get it, I just need help finding products that are likely to be suitable (i.e. the popular ones) rather than a really long and costly game of trial and error. I'm really thankful for the tips I've had here this week.

What I find hard is when you then see fb posts or clips and people talk about applying one thing in the morning, another in the night, one about 3 times a week but never the same day as A, applying B in the summer but never in winter, C mixed in with moisturiser but never near the eyes and D is essential but never too often. It's a minefield.

I'm also really conscious that it seems to be relatively new to massive popularity so I'm trying to keep perspective and think 'does that person who is recommending you do those things actually look good?'.
They’re also probably trying to sell you something as well, so take everything you see on fb or insta with a big pinch of salt. I don’t think they use all those serums and creams like they say they do, they couldn’t possibly use them all up!

Reactions: 3
Sam Bunting has just put a video up on YouTube about starting retinol. It's really informative and helpful for beginners. She's using her own products but she's not pushing them.

Reactions: 4
I really rate the products from Superdrug’s various own lines, which are well priced and usually on offer. The only downside is there have been 3 products I’ve really liked of theirs that have been discontinued in the last 2-3 years which is a tad annoying!
It honestly is a nightmare! I got Caroline’s book fairly recently, after buying a load of LRP skincare, (buying what was recommended via their online skincare quiz), and ending up with the worlds greasiest moisturiser and a toner which was far too strong for my sensitive skin.

I then bought about 5 products from The Ordinary, again the actives were far too much for me (despite them being the gentlest ones and recommended for sensgiceand made my skin worse, although I did like the cleanser and moisturiser. Probably spent about £80 up to this point and no better off 🤦🏻‍♀️

I have now stripped everything back to a dermatica prescription and a hydrating cleanser and moisturiser. However, I bought CeraVe cleanser and moisturiser, and neutrogena’s hydration gel as it seemed to be everyone’s recommendations for pretty much anything on the skincare freaks Facebook page.. and don’t really think they’re great either. The neutrogena one is soooo fragranced it made my skin react instantly.

Part of me thinks I should have just carried on doing what I was before with my usual products. I also really wish I’d read Caroline’s thread on here before getting that book 😂🤦🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 5
Does anyone know any good products for fine lines (around the mouth area/cheeks) and a product that helps with sun damage? :) I mostly use products from Avene, La Roche Posay, the ordinary, paula’s choice, cerave,... thx!!🤗

Does anyone know any good products for fine lines (around the mouth area/cheeks) and a product that helps with sun damage? :) I mostly use products from Avene, La Roche Posay, the ordinary, paula’s choice, cerave,... thx!!🤗
Have you tried The Ordinary's Niacinamide? That might help with the sun damage. Or actually - the La Roche Posay Retinol with B3 (aka Niacinamide) mentioned before in this thread could be a good two-for-one product. It should help address both the sun damage and the fine lines. Plus SPF! For future prevention.

Paula's Choice and Inkey List also have good Niacinamide and Retinol products too.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
What to start using retinol, any good recommendations for a beginner?
La Roche Posay Retinol with B3 (mentioned in the post above). Comes in a dropper type bottle. It’s excellent. The B3 helps soothe the skin, but the retinol is still very effective, think it’s 0.3%. Olay do a similar product. Shop around though, don’t pay full price - LRP you can usually get at least 25% off somewhere, and Olay 15-20%.

The Ordinary do some retinol products as well but I haven’t tried those, they always look fairly complicated to me! Someone else may be able to point you in the right direction if you want to try one of those instead.

just got my delivery today from the ordinary :)

- natural moisturizing factors + ha (already loving this one)
- niacinamide 10% + zinc 1%
- argireline solution 10%.

it sounds like i know what i'm talking about when i write this down but i absolutely don't. :D
can't wait to see some results though!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
A tip I got from a Facebook group all about The Ordinary products is that Argireline works best if you rub it really quite firmly into your skin, not the usual patting it on gently. It’s said to give a sort of temporary Botox type effect. I do like it but my routine is a bit full so I haven’t used it recently.

it sounds like i know what i'm talking about when i write this down but i absolutely don't. :D

• Heart

I swear thats my problem with the Ordinary products. I always confuse myself! The names are all so ingredients focussed and then I'm standing at my sink going...'wait, what does this do? Do I need this tonight?'. Then I end up doing a google search! I like that the Inkey List has a little thing on their label that mentions what the product is for.

Good luck with the new products!

• Heart
A tip I got from a Facebook group all about The Ordinary products is that Argireline works best if you rub it really quite firmly into your skin, not the usual patting it on gently. It’s said to give a sort of temporary Botox type effect. I do like it but my routine is a bit full so I haven’t used it recently.
i was planning to use it around my eyes - would that still be okay?

I swear thats my problem with the Ordinary products. I always confuse myself! The names are all so ingredients focussed and then I'm standing at my sink going...'wait, what does this do? Do I need this tonight?'. Then I end up doing a google search! I like that the Inkey List has a little thing on their label that mentions what the product is for.

Good luck with the new products!
it's very confusing isn't it 😅 thank you!

i forgot to add a pic, i love the packaging so much, and the bottles themselves :)

ord.jpeg

i was planning to use it around my eyes - would that still be okay?
Maybe press firmly rather than rub? As you don’t want to damage the more delicate skin around the eyes. I use it on my forehead and tend to rub it in firmly there 😊
You’ll get your head around your products from The Ordinary in time! I’m a big fan myself but was initially put off by the names and the lack of knowledge on what to do with them!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Maybe press firmly rather than rub? As you don’t want to damage the more delicate skin around the eyes. I use it on my forehead and tend to rub it in firmly there 😊
You’ll get your head around your products from The Ordinary in time! I’m a big fan myself but was initially put off by the names and the lack of knowledge on what to do with them!
woop woop, thank you! 🥳

Could anyone recommend a good eye cream and a good night cream? I love the elemis pro collagen night oxygenating cream and previously the elemis superfood night cream but my bank account does not love the price of the pro collagen one. I have combo skin (mostly normal but i get a bit of oil around my nose) and i’m sometimes blemish prone but really not so much since last year now x

Reactions: 1
Hi, never posted here before 😂 I was recommended the Ordinary skin care so ordered a set box with the cleanser, masque, niacinamide and moisturiser. I've been using it a couple days and my skin maybe subconsciously feels amazing! I was just wondering if I should leave it at that or add any other bits to my skincare routine? Tia🥰

• Heart
Hi, never posted here before 😂 I was recommended the Ordinary skin care so ordered a set box with the cleanser, masque, niacinamide and moisturiser. I've been using it a couple days and my skin maybe subconsciously feels amazing! I was just wondering if I should leave it at that or add any other bits to my skincare routine? Tia🥰
Maybe retinol as you get older? It's hard to know what to go for and what's just marketing. I'm a million miles from an expert but remember watching the Cherry Healey show about ageing that was on a year or two ago and they had experts on there that said the only thing that will definitely reduce ageing is SPF and retinol. The best the rest can do is make it feel better.
I've just started La Roche Posay's retinol on recommendation from here and it's good but you probably need something much milder than that as you're not an old boot like me. :m

• Heart
SPF for day time - This one is meant to be good

An eye cream really helps I find. There’s lots to choose from but I usually go for a moisturising one.

A hydrating serum (ordinary do a hyaluronic acid which is good) and maybe a vitamin c serum.

It’s not good to overwhelm your skin though. See how you go with the products you have and then if your skin tolerates them, you can introduce new products 🙂

• Heart
SPF for day time - This one is meant to be good

An eye cream really helps I find. There’s lots to choose from but I usually go for a moisturising one.

A hydrating serum (ordinary do a hyaluronic acid which is good) and maybe a vitamin c serum.

It’s not good to overwhelm your skin though. See how you go with the products you have and then if your skin tolerates them, you can introduce new products 🙂
Thanks so much lovely, you should write a blog ❤

• Heart
Everyone keeps talking about The ordinary stuff but I have no clue what to buy or what the products are, apart from the moisturiser!

I'm early 40's...only use moisturiser daily and have a bit of dry skin around my eyebrows..I don't wear any make up on a day to day basis...if I do its mascara, concealer and bb cream..I never wear foundation as it looks awful on me..

If anyone can give me recommendations for what Ordinary products to buy and anything for dark circles under my eyes, (which I even have in photos as a kid!) I would be very grateful 🙏

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.