Skin care - tell me all of the advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I started a new skincare routine just over a week ago and it feels like I’m putting a lot of my face, although maybe this is because I’ve gone from basically nothing to all? I read online and have followed this order that I’d seen in a beauty article.

Hot cloth cleanser
Toner
Serum
Eye cream
Moisturiser
Face oil
SPF

I’ve also just purchased a Foreo UFO and using that twice a week.

I’ve had a couple of breakouts but wonder if that’s just due to trying new things and I need to persevere? What would others do?
What hot cloth cleanser are you using? I would cut out the toner and face oil until your skin settles a bit. Toners can be very harsh and stripping on the skin, especially if your not used to using one. The face oil and moisturiser may be too heavy and rich on your skin together so I would skip one of those for now aswell. Great you are using spf!

Reactions: 1
That is a lot to be putting on your face if you’ve started from nothing, and you’re starting using a UFO as well. (I just got a UFO too, I love it!)

Maybe scale it back a bit and build up gradually, especially if you’ve had some breakouts and you don’t usually get them.

Depending on your skin type, I don’t think you necessarily need an oil as well as a moisturiser. Definitely not am and pm. Also, what type of serum are you using? Again, is it am and pm? Even the toner could be too harsh if it’s an exfoliating one as opposed to a gentle one, or it may contain alcohol which can also be harsh.

Without seeing the exact products it’s hard to say, but perhaps scale it back to cleanse, tone, moisturise, spf. for a few weeks and see how your skin likes it. Then cut out or add a product from there and then you can identify what your skin needs, responds to, and likes.

Just a suggestion. Hope you manage to find a routine that works for you 😊
What hot cloth cleanser are you using? I would cut out the toner and face oil until your skin settles a bit. Toners can be very harsh and stripping on the skin, especially if your not used to using one. The face oil and moisturiser may be too heavy and rich on your skin together so I would skip one of those for now aswell. Great you are using spf!
Thank you both.

I’m using the Lacura hot cloth cleanser and the This Works hyaluronic serum.

I’ll probably cut back on the face oil to begin with then and see what happens. I’ve been using the moisturiser for a while and that’s been fine. Nothing feels too heavy or caked on. I wondered if my skin was purging? I’ve read a bit about it and it does seem to match what I’ve read.

It’s so confusing!

Reactions: 2
Thank you both.

I’m using the Lacura hot cloth cleanser and the This Works hyaluronic serum.

I’ll probably cut back on the face oil to begin with then and see what happens. I’ve been using the moisturiser for a while and that’s been fine. Nothing feels too heavy or caked on. I wondered if my skin was purging? I’ve read a bit about it and it does seem to match what I’ve read.

It’s so confusing!
I started off with a lot of products and my skin went quite bad, lots of breakouts on my chin and jaw. I waited it out for months thinking it was purging but it never cleared up, I ended up really simplifying my routine and my skin is now clear and the breakouts have stopped.
Quite annoying though as I have a basket full of serums I spent lots of money on 🤣

Reactions: 4
I started off with a lot of products and my skin went quite bad, lots of breakouts on my chin and jaw. I waited it out for months thinking it was purging but it never cleared up, I ended up really simplifying my routine and my skin is now clear and the breakouts have stopped.
Quite annoying though as I have a basket full of serums I spent lots of money on 🤣
You definitely sound more patient than me! At least you waited it out to be absolutely sure so you could then see what the issue was. It’s a minefield isn’t it?!

Sounds like you need to look after not just your little one Mama ❤

I am a breastfeeding Mom who cleared her hormonal acne with diet and skincare routine. Went vegan and giving up dairy cleared my skin immediately. But at same time I also stopped all abrasive skincare and only gentle stuff now. I have combination skin.

Morning
Cleanse with gentle soapfree facewash
The ordinary hyaluronic acid to wet face
The ordinary vitamin c serum
Elave broad SPF 45
Eye cream

Evening
Same first 2 steps above
The ordinary AHA
Moisturiser

I intend trying out retinoids when I stop nursing, differin or The Ordinary one. Also going to resume botox and lip fillers. Am pushing 40 and my skin has not looked this good in a long time.

Now that the suns out ☀, what’s the best face skin cream that can be wore under makeup?

Now that the suns out ☀, what’s the best face skin cream that can be wore under makeup?
I’ve been trying to find one for months but every time I see one recommended, I look at the reviews and it turns out they aren’t as good as they seem!

I wish more brands would do sample sizes so we could try first before forking out £20 - £30 on full size.

Reactions: 4
Do you mean spf?

I find mineral spf tends to work best for me. It’s less greasy, doesn’t pill and you can get tinted ones that, depending on your skin tone, you can potentially wear instead of a base.

You’re doing the right thing by intake of water. The secret to good skin comes mainly from within. Eating healthy, wear SPF (always! Even if you don’t go outside all day. Your phone / computer screen have blue light)

You can get moisturiser which has SPF in already so that’s definitely better than nothing.

You need :
- Cotten pads
- micellar water (to cleanse)
- night time moisturiser (it will say on the box if it’s suitable for night time)
- day time moisturiser with spf

Cleanse both morning and night. Squeeze some micellar water on your cotten pad and swipe it across your face. then dab your face gently with a towel to dry it off. Have a separate towel for face also. (Don’t use the one you use for your hands or body)

I would highly suggest at first just go really basic. Start cleansing and moisturising. Then once you’ve got into that habit; do some further research.

I tried so many spfs and struggled to find one that moisturised and protected and could be worn under makeup. But I use Elave spf 45 which is an Irish brand and I believe available in UK. It is great and I don't find it tacky and sticky over the layers of anti aging creams also.

But one thing I will say is, I tried the 1/2 teaspoon of spf for face, neck and ears and I just could not get that much product onto me. Now I do have a v small face but it was just was too much. I would rather get on a smaller amount and stay out of the sun and wear a hat etc.

Do you mean spf?

I find mineral spf tends to work best for me. It’s less greasy, doesn’t pill and you can get tinted ones that, depending on your skin tone, you can potentially wear instead of a base.
yes sorry, looking for recommendations of a suncream for the face with spf 50 that can be wore under makeup, or even better if it was a tinted moisturiser aswell. Looked at a few online but reviews say they leave a white cast

La Roche Posay Anthelios Spf 50 is my go to - you have to shake the bottle and it’s very runny when it comes out. But layers great over day cream and sits well under make-up.

I’m using an Avene spf 30 moisturiser too for days when I don’t leave the house.

Reactions: 6
yes sorry, looking for recommendations of a suncream for the face with spf 50 that can be wore under makeup, or even better if it was a tinted moisturiser aswell. Looked at a few online but reviews say they leave a white cast
I use the ordinary SPF and it’s great under make up or on its own. Goes on pretty white looking but sinks in after a minute or two

I’ve tried loads and finally settled on colorescience sunforgettable total protection face shield spf 50. It’s tinted, comes in 3 different shades and it’s the best spf I’ve found. I usually wear it alone as it’s enough of a base for me, but it works well with powder foundation or cream / liquid on top, although I think powder works best eg bare minerals or something like that.

In my experience it's best to keep your spf separate from a tinted moisturiser, as the amount you need to apply for the adverised SPF coverage is quite a lot
(I know, Daily Mail 😅 but it illustrates the issue well)

I really rate the La Roche Posay Anthelios range. Normally I apply my morning moisturiser, wait 10 mins, then SPF, wait 10 mins, makeup.

Reactions: 3
Ooh this was fun to read! I’ll share mine if it helps (realise I’m missing a proper sunscreen but will check out some of the recommendations here!)

Morning:
Ole Henriksen brightening face wash
Neutrogena turmeric toning mist
Superdrug vitamin C serum
Benefit “It’s Potent” eye cream
CeraVe day cream with SPF

Evening:
Simple gel wash or CeraVe cream wash - use with any electric face brush
The Ordinary 7% glycolic acid toner
The Ordinary niacinamide & zinc
The Ordinary 1% retinol serum
La Roche Posay retinol eye cream
CeraVe moisturiser or Garnier hemp face oil

The Ordinary BHA / ABH peel twice a week (Weds & Sun)

Use a silk pillow case and change your sheets every week. Lots of water & fruits/veggies. I found that limiting dairy/processed sugar intake did wonders too

Use a derma roller a couple of time a week, a gua sha on the days you don’t use the derma roller (YouTube is your friend for these)

Not sure if relevant to you but for my body (often overlooked in the skin care routine!) I use an exfoliating loofah mitt with my normal shower gel and follow up with Palmer’s body oil afterwards, my skin is honestly so soft now 😂

And lastly my absolute holy grail is using Bio Oil instead of an evening moisturiser a few times a week. It’s non comedogenic so doesn’t break me out and it does wonders for fine lines/scarring/hydration

^ that all sounds like a lot to manage but it takes me 10 mins max every day and I feel way better for it afterwards...self care and all that jazz!
Oooh loving the bio oil tip! I’m gonna try that

I’m in my 50’s and I seem to get so many spots on my chin which leave scaring. I suffer with rosecea on my cheeks and my skin can flare up hot. Any advice for my spotty chin

Not really a product but I have recently started dry body brushing, mainly for cellulite reasons, hasn’t helped with that but it has made my skin so soft and glowy! Definitely worth adding it to your daily routines I think.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.