Sir Keir Starmer

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
really want to see proportional representation and an elected second chamber, but annoyingly they seem to have gone quiet on that since the poll surge! Promising those two things alone will get me to switch away from the greens.
Absolutely this! Plus finally reform of the House of Lords. If Labour get a landslide they will have no Incentive to do this. We need a huge constitutional shakeup in this country. Its not fit for purpose

Reactions: 2
Absolutely this! Plus finally reform of the House of Lords. If Labour get a landslide they will have no Incentive to do this. We need a huge constitutional shakeup in this country. Its not fit for purpose
but the issue is NO party will do this, we had proportional representation in our EU elections as the EU forced it, had we stayed in this might have become a bigger thing pushed onto us (like things like the minimum wage etc), no party who is in power will vote to get fewer votes. It is a losing battle.

Reactions: 1
but the issue is NO party will do this
Labour people were talking about this reform, until the polls swung and they stood to gain from such an outdated an unfair system. Now radio silence šŸ¤

I think reform was going to be a big part of their campaign for the next election, but now that'll be scrapped that they don't need to do it.

Reactions: 3
Labour people were talking about this reform, until the polls swung and they stood to gain from such an outdated an unfair system. Now radio silence šŸ¤

I think reform was going to be a big part of their campaign for the next election, but now that'll be scrapped that they don't need to do it.
Exactly, it is only when in opposition and not likely to win. This is why I assume it will never change (unless there are some kind of mass protests or something) but no govt will

It is one thing to get a landslide now while the present Government are unpopular, but they need to think ahead to future elections. There will be plenty for them to do when they first get back into power and I can see this not being a priority. But they would be foolish to bin the idea totally. As long as the SNP continue to hoover up seats in Scotland they will struggle to get the required number of seats for a majority under ā€œnormalā€ circumstances. The Tories are a mess at the moment but they will regroup. God knows why but they always managed to fool enough people to get back into power even when they spend years out of favour.

Reactions: 2
The current Tories are NOT conservatives. Under them the national debt has tripled, immigration is insanely high and they are obsessed with net zero as which is the most expensive policy ever introduced by a U.K. government and IMO lacks any wisdom, foresight or sensible risk analysis whatsoever. I canā€™t see any of this getting any better under Labour, in fact I think it will get a lot worse under them and I will be even more financially stretched than I am now. I now have nobody to vote for and am supremely pissed off. It all makes me feel as if from now on I will just stay at home. bake cakes, focus on my job, do a bit of PTA stuff and nag the local council about our roads. Feel done with the whole thing.

Reactions: 4
The current Tories are NOT conservatives. Under them the national debt has tripled, immigration is insanely high and they are obsessed with net zero as which is the most expensive policy ever introduced by a U.K. government and IMO lacks any wisdom, foresight or sensible risk analysis whatsoever. I canā€™t see any of this getting any better under Labour, in fact I think it will get a lot worse under them and I will be even more financially stretched than I am now. I now have nobody to vote for and am supremely pissed off. It all makes me feel as if from now on I will just stay at home. bake cakes, focus on my job, do a bit of PTA stuff and nag the local council about our roads. Feel done with the whole thing.
Thanks for the laughs re "it will get a lot worse under them".

I'll be happy to pay more tax if it's going to public services instead of being given to Tories' mates for a useless PPE contract.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
it depends what you mean by "conservatives" they have literally said they believe in trickle down economics, isn't that as neo-liberal right wing as you can get?

Reactions: 5
I'll be happy to pay more tax if it's going to public services instead of being given to Tories' mates for a useless PPE contract.
Then you must be doing well enough to not worry very much about your finances. Iā€™m always amazed at people who are cheerfully willing to hand more of their money over to the government in the gently trusting belief that it will be spent in the way they are told. The country faces massively complicated problems that are not going to be easily solved by everyone having to pay higher taxes. People vote conservative in the belief or hope that they will keep taxes low and be economically prudent with taxpayers money. This is what I mean by true Conservatism, along with a certain traditionalism and belief that wherever possible people should be empowered to act on their own behalf rather than relying on the state , and that culture is important and should be ā€œconservedā€. Anyway they have certainly screwed up in a massive way.

There is always a tension between taxing people and providing services but I have to say I hear nothing at the moment from Labour that convinces me they have a plan for tackling anything. When I hear their people speak it all just sounds like the same old detail-free worthy tosh around solving inequality, investing in health and education and racing to net zero before weā€™ve had our first cup of coffee tomorrow morning. Mixed in with the ghastly woke stuff it all just makes my eyes glaze over.

We need other choices that actually have a chance of breaking through.

Thanks for the laughs re "it will get a lot worse under them".

Argh!!!! Thatā€™s ok for you to say. Iā€™m sure you are earning loads for that
Iā€™m a middle income public sector worker. Iā€™ve had duck all of a payrise if it ever comes. My job roles needs more money throwing at it. But then Iā€™m personally being squeezed out of my money left right and centre to get nothing out of it. Can barely get a gp appt and we get no access to any schemes or help. But we can sure pay out tit loads for everything everyone else can access. i canā€™t afford to pay more tax to see nothing from it.

• Sad
it depends what you mean by "conservatives" they have literally said they believe in trickle down economics, isn't that as neo-liberal right wing as you can get?
As someone more erudite than me once put it, the only thing that trickles down is piss.

• Haha
Argh!!!! Thatā€™s ok for you to say. Iā€™m sure you are earning loads for that
Iā€™m a middle income public sector worker. Iā€™ve had duck all of a payrise if it ever comes. My job roles needs more money throwing at it. But then Iā€™m personally being squeezed out of my money left right and centre to get nothing out of it. Can barely get a gp appt and we get no access to any schemes or help. But we can sure pay out tit loads for everything everyone else can access. i canā€™t afford to pay more tax to see nothing from it.
But that is because of chronic mismanagement from a government that has been in power for 12 years, and has done nothing but widen the gap between the rich and the poor. I am also a public sector worker who could do with an extra Ā£50 a month, but I would rather not have it and have the Social Care system sorted out, or the bursaries to nurses reinstated so that my son didn't have to wait 15 months for a hospital appointment, or I haven't just had to spend my savings on private dental treatment because thetexwtent any NHS dentists- because we haven't trained any. The tax cuts were unnecessary and unfunded. Andxrenewable energy is the only way we will be every self sufficient and not have to rely on appeasing cranks and dictators in the ME and Russia for fuel. As well as being dirt cheap.

Then you must be doing well enough to not worry very much about your finances. Iā€™m always amazed at people who are cheerfully willing to hand more of their money over to the government in the gently trusting belief that it will be spent in the way they are told. The country faces massively complicated problems that are not going to be easily solved by everyone having to pay higher taxes. People vote conservative in the belief or hope that they will keep taxes low and be economically prudent with taxpayers money. This is what I mean by true Conservatism, along with a certain traditionalism and belief that wherever possible people should be empowered to act on their own behalf rather than relying on the state , and that culture is important and should be ā€œconservedā€. Anyway they have certainly screwed up in a massive way.

There is always a tension between taxing people and providing services but I have to say I hear nothing at the moment from Labour that convinces me they have a plan for tackling anything. When I hear their people speak it all just sounds like the same old detail-free worthy tosh around solving inequality, investing in health and education and racing to net zero before weā€™ve had our first cup of coffee tomorrow morning. Mixed in with the ghastly woke stuff it all just makes my eyes glaze over.

We need other choices that actually have a chance of breaking through.
Lol, then you are right because the Conservative party has not been economically prudent with taxpayers' money for a long time. Ā£4 billion worth of unusable PPE springs to mind. Even going back to Boris when he was Mayor of London he had a time of it squandering money on vanity projects such as the Garden Bridge, water cannons and busses not fit for purpose.

But of course, Labour waste money because they want to invest in things like education and healthcare.

Reactions: 6
But that is because of chronic mismanagement from a government that has been in power for 12 years, and has done nothing but widen the gap between the rich and the poor. I am also a public sector worker who could do with an extra Ā£50 a month, but I would rather not have it and have the Social Care system sorted out, or the bursaries to nurses reinstated so that my son didn't have to wait 15 months for a hospital appointment, or I haven't just had to spend my savings on private dental treatment because thetexwtent any NHS dentists- because we haven't trained any. The tax cuts were unnecessary and unfunded. Andxrenewable energy is the only way we will be every self sufficient and not have to rely on appeasing cranks and dictators in the ME and Russia for fuel. As well as being dirt cheap.
But whilst ever we say we donā€™t mind paying extra tax, the tax will always come off us. No one really chases the super rich, the business because we need them. There needs to be a wholesale review of government funding before we start taxing normal people.
becaise Iā€™m gonna be honest, Iā€™m a social care worker and wedesperately need more funding. More training, bursaryā€™s to train staff (just like the nhs does!) but then that funding just goes down and the majority people outside that area become resentful of seemingly paying for dodgy families to have all the support. Itā€™s not a nice thought to hear, but itā€™s true. People are sick of paying for money to go up and down in the middle and it never going to them. Families with children with disabilities with an income know that they are the first to be asked to pay for things etc.

Iā€™m not disagreeing btw, finances have been beyond mismanaged, but there needs to be something for the public to see, a review with it so we can see how in the tit we are before anyone pays out anymore. After all, it will only be us sat in the cold paying to heat constituency homes no matter what party the mps are forā€¦ā€¦. So I want to know what they have done so far

But of course, Labour waste money because they want to invest in things like education and healthcare.
Everyone says that they ā€œwant to invest in things like education and healthcareā€. Nobody would disagree with that as a policy. Most ordinary people vote for education and healthcare to be invested in. The question is a) how is it to be funded when we already have staggering levels of debt and weā€™re trying to deal with the current population plus endless illegal immigration at a time of global economic upheaval? Taxing people and businesses more is really tricky, there is a balance, and itā€™s difficult to get right. And b) how can we better understand how the money is spent? is it being spent well? Could there be greater accountability so we can see what really needs more money and want needs better management? Because letā€™s face it at this point the NHS (for example) is so massive and complicated and unwieldy that none of us have the faintest idea how our money is being spent, or how much is being wasted, or if it could be spent better and more effectively. I want a better and more nuanced explanation than ā€œevil Tories are trying to kill poor peopleā€.

Anyway the topic is KS. I would like him to start by talking the deep complexity of these matters, because then I would be more inclined to listen to his solutions.

But whilst ever we say we donā€™t mind paying extra tax, the tax will always come off us. No one really chases the super rich, the business because we need them. There needs to be a wholesale review of government funding before we start taxing normal people.
becaise Iā€™m gonna be honest, Iā€™m a social care worker and wedesperately need more funding. More training, bursaryā€™s to train staff (just like the nhs does!) but then that funding just goes down and the majority people outside that area become resentful of seemingly paying for dodgy families to have all the support. Itā€™s not a nice thought to hear, but itā€™s true. People are sick of paying for money to go up and down in the middle and it never going to them. Families with children with disabilities with an income know that they are the first to be asked to pay for things etc.

Iā€™m not disagreeing btw, finances have been beyond mismanaged, but there needs to be something for the public to see, a review with it so we can see how in the tit we are before anyone pays out anymore. After all, it will only be us sat in the cold paying to heat constituency homes no matter what party the mps are forā€¦ā€¦. So I want to know what they have done so far
I agree with everything you sat

Reactions: 1
Was listening to some bloke on LBC talking about Labour and was thinking ... Hmmmm, I like what he's saying. It was Jeremy Corbyn! :unsure:

• Haha
Everyone says that they ā€œwant to invest in things like education and healthcareā€. Nobody would disagree with that as a policy. Most ordinary people vote for education and healthcare to be invested in. The question is a) how is it to be funded when we already have staggering levels of debt and weā€™re trying to deal with the current population plus endless illegal immigration at a time of global economic upheaval? Taxing people and businesses more is really tricky, there is a balance, and itā€™s difficult to get right. And b) how can we better understand how the money is spent? is it being spent well? Could there be greater accountability so we can see what really needs more money and want needs better management? Because letā€™s face it at this point the NHS (for example) is so massive and complicated and unwieldy that none of us have the faintest idea how our money is being spent, or how much is being wasted, or if it could be spent better and more effectively. I want a better and more nuanced explanation than ā€œevil Tories are trying to kill poor peopleā€.

Anyway the topic is KS. I would like him to start by talking the deep complexity of these matters, because then I would be more inclined to listen to his solutions.

I agree with everything you sat
Of course there are ways. Scrapping non dom statuses, getting big corporations such as Amazon to pay their fair share of tax and close any loopholes which allow them to pay lower amounts, stop wasting money on PPE equipment that is unfit for purpose.

Schools are having their teaching budgets slashed and staff are being made redundant. My friend is a teaching assistant and their numbers have greatly reduced, meaning there are children now going into secondary school who cannot read. Having poor levels of education and healthcare is hardly conducive to an economically prosperous society.

Reactions: 7