Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

aimz_yeah

Chatty Member
I remember begging my mum to let me go out on my own round the block in my neon lemon crop top and matching trousers with built in wrap skirt (it's called fashion hunney, look it up) from Traffic. Not sure if that was just an Essex shop or the whole of the UK got to enjoy it. Such cheap tat, but seemed like such high end fashion to a child 😭

That outfit wouldn't have aged so well, I imagine
I remember skirts over trousers being such a big thing, definitely got some from Tammy at some point. Again, I must have looked horrendous lol

• Haha
Reactions: 5

Kim Mild

VIP Member
Did anyone else have McDonalds birthday parties???? Like in the McDonald’s restaurants and just sectioned off with chairs 😂 thinking about it now it was weird but we loved it as kids
And the little toadstool tables?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4

Fenella

Chatty Member
Did anyone else have McDonalds birthday parties???? Like in the McDonald’s restaurants and just sectioned off with chairs 😂 thinking about it now it was weird but we loved it as kids
Yes! And the birthday person could pick a friend and look around the kitchen- I made a milkshake and splodged the sauce onto a Big Mac! I imagine the health and safety rules don’t allow that nowadays!

• Haha

eSsExBiRd

VIP Member
I worked for McD’s in the late 90’s and was a party host!

• Heart

memoii11

VIP Member
La Senza - I bought my first ‘grown up’ bra there with Christmas money I must of been about 14 it was a push up, purple with the cartoon ‘Little Miss Naughty’ embroidered on, in the first size I picked up as had no clue on sizes and too shy to ask, all bought without my Mums knowledge and kept it hidden Incase she found it 🤣

Gadget Shop- Inflatable backpack... of course

Warner Bros Shops- I remember it had a car/ride in middle of the store

Jane Norman- used to go in with friends, nominate someone to ask the girls on the till if we could have a bag... oh the shame 🤣
I felt so grown up in la senza!

Boredofthegram

VIP Member
I can smell blockbusters if I think about it. I loved going there with my family on a Friday to pick a film to watch 😂
Woolworths with the mini cans of pop pick n mix.

hrh89

VIP Member
I always used to see the hellraiser video in my local store and think oh god that looks awful and always remembered his face. I'm an adult and have now read the synopsis and glad all I ever saw was the video box. But its certainly one of the most striking covers for a film.
That’s so funny because whenever I think of Blockbuster that is the one movie cover that comes to mind!!! Every time.

• Haha

HowlOwl

VIP Member
Oasis in Birmingham. Would spend the whole day there, clothes shopping, getting a piercing and eating at the cafe and drinking Schnapple
I worked there for a while. My boyfriend at the time had a couple of stalls in the early 80s, selling Vivienne Westwood and stuff. There was a cafe (as you’ve mentioned), loads of jeans shops, stalls where you could buy perfumed oils (I really liked patchouli oil and haven’t smelt one exactly the same since), a record shop, and a Space Invaders machine. This was all downstairs and it was like a little maze. The place pops up in my dreams sometimes.

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
This thread made me remember this one time when my mum took me to a shop called ‘Texas’ when I was quite small. Couldn’t for the life of me remember what they sold or if it even existed and I was getting mixed up with Tesco or something so I looked it up. Turns out it was a real shop that sold diy stuff, it’s successor was Homebase. I’m so glad I wasn’t imagining it lol.

I also remember going to ‘Do it All’ a lot with my parents which was another DIY shop that later became ‘Focus DIY’ I think.

I remember being in Wickes waiting for my parents to pay and pressing the Dr Pepper button on a vending and then a drink popped out! I hadn’t put any money in felt like winning the lottery.
My parents weren’t diy fans but we’d moved to a house that needed a lot of work doing to it hence why I have so many memories of me being dragged around diy shops🤣

Funny the random little things we remember once you start thinking about it.

I always used to see the hellraiser video in my local store and think oh god that looks awful and always remembered his face. I'm an adult and have now read the synopsis and glad all I ever saw was the video box. But its certainly one of the most striking covers for a film.
Omg yes!! That is so bizarre that I remember that too (I’m 35, btw)

I also miss Blockbuster video. I remember walking around the block to my local one as a teenager to rent DVDs or games. I also remember as a child going there to pick out videos. The desperate excitement when you went to the counter to check whether the film you had selected was in stock! I also recall sneaking around to the 18+ shelves and being freaked out by the front cover of Hellraiser. It also used to be the only place you could buy toffee popcorn and malteasers in a box. Did Blockbuster have some sort of deal going on with butterkist?

Now of course you can buy all the booze, kettle chips and toffee popcorn that you want from the supermarket, but I don't know, it's less special?
Oh, Friday night at Blockbuster was an event! 🤩 I'm sure there were times where my sister and I spent more time perusing the shelves and debating our movie and snack choice than we did actually watching the movie once we got home. 😂

hrh89

VIP Member
Yes! And the birthday person could pick a friend and look around the kitchen- I made a milkshake and splodged the sauce onto a Big Mac! I imagine the health and safety rules don’t allow that nowadays!
OMG I had actually forgotten about that!!!

I also miss looking round the Christmas section of BHS as a kid. They had cool stuff like bubblegum machines and cupcake makers. Good times

• Heart

SpookyLumberjack

VIP Member
I remember etam and Tammy girl.. One memory that sticks in my mind, I must have been around 11-12 yrs old back in early 2000s and purchasing a pink velour tracksuit with my birthday money.. worrying that I spent too much on clothes, it must have cost me like £20-25 😂😂
At about 12 I had a neon orange satin blouse, an orange mini skirt and orange and white platforms from Tammy Girl as one outfit, thought I was the shit hahahaha

• Haha

Jess1991

Tammy girl, Mark 1 and Claire’s accessories buying magnetic earrings before I was allowed my ears pierced 😂 And also I used to love going in toymaster and spending ages looking at all the toys!

Reactions: 3

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
I remember Oasis - it always smelled of joss sticks and at 16 I thought it very exotic. I bought the most gorgeous red silky dress at one of the boutiques in there. It was the first shop I always went to as it was near the bus stop where my bus stopped (the navy blue and cream bus) when going shopping on a Saturday.
Yes I remeber that smell. Used to buy combat trousers and tiny tops, bought a gorgeous suede jacket and thought I was the bees knees.

I worked there for a while. My boyfriend at the time had a couple of stalls in the early 80s, selling Vivienne Westwood and stuff. There was a cafe (as you’ve mentioned), loads of jeans shops, stalls where you could buy perfumed oils (I really liked patchouli oil and haven’t smelt one exactly the same since), a record shop, and a Space Invaders machine. This was all downstairs and it was like a little maze. The place pops up in my dreams sometimes.
Yes you could get lost in it for ages. I remember the record shop. Used to buy different coloured hair dyes too

thisyearsboy

Borders - used to spend hours in there on a Saturday as a teenager. Hot chocolate from the cafe section, read all the American magazines, have a good browse of the books and listen to whatever cds they had on the listening stations. Pretty sure I never actually spent any money in there, besides the cafe.

I also miss bath pearls, I’m sure they were unenvironmentally friendly but I loved popping them in a bath!
Used to be obsessed with those! I'm sure I stained many a wall/carpet popping them outside of the bath.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I used to love Habitat. Could never afford much but swore when I was a proper grown up I'd furnish my house from top to bottom with it. Too late now.
Also Cranks - one of the first vegetarian chains. I have lovely memories of the food but wonder if that is nostalgia and it really was that good.