Shamima Begum #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They say the women were worse than their husbands.
Of course they were. What kind of a woman just kicks back and let’s her husband rape children? The victim blaming that I found from the partners of the guilty animals in this group was off the scale.

Quite literally believing that 12 year old girls were sexual minxes who entrapped their otherwise morally incorruptible husbands and sons with their seductive wiles. And this is no exaggeration.

Of course once the activists got involved these women were “nuanced” into victims as well…..

• Sick
Reactions: 2
Of those 1000 cases, about 920 happened from 2016 onwards and 676 from 2019 onwards so the average number per year that you calculate over the full 12 years is probably not very representative of recent years and belies what is clearly an increasing use of what was once an extremely rare sanction. But I agree it does depend on what you define as 'quite a lot'.

I was just trying to explain why she is still able to appeal the decision some 5 years after her citizenship was revoked and why she has access to Legal Aid even though she has ceased to be a British citizen.

For the avoidance of doubt I don't really care whether Shamima comes back to the UK or not. I don't think it will make much if any difference to 'national security' if she does and I don't think we are helping the Syrians or at least the Syrian Democratic Forces by leaving her (or the other women) there. I also think it makes us look quite a backward and petty country in comparison with those who have repatriated their citizens. But that's just my opinion. My real interest is following the legal arguments around the case.

So the peak of deprivations occurred from 2016 onwards, right about the time that Islamic state was starting to be defeated and the true extent of the number of British citizens who had committed treason and joined a proscribed terrorist organisation was becoming known.

Seems to me that the policy was being used in exactly the way it was intended. And once again I would point out that the vast majority of those deprivations were still of people who had gained British citizenship through fraud. And surely we don’t think that a fraudster should benefit from the fruits of his fraud without consequence, and that therefore the government is acting correctly. Or is the prosecution of fraud now regarded as Far Right Extremism?

And even if we assume the remainder were all ISIS members then if having 200 odd radicalised, hate filled, terrorist trained religious bigots walking free in the U.K. isn’t a national security issue I’m at a loss as to what is.

Unless of course you wish to argue that they all should be bought back and that the violence and religious bigotry can be talked out if them by sitting in a circle and discussing feelings? Sort of an ISIS Anonymous.

Reactions: 4
So the peak of deprivations occurred from 2016 onwards, right about the time that Islamic state was starting to be defeated and the true extent of the number of British citizens who had committed treason and joined a proscribed terrorist organisation was becoming known.

Seems to me that the policy was being used in exactly the way it was intended. And once again I would point out that the vast majority of those deprivations were still of people who had gained British citizenship through fraud. And surely we don’t think that a fraudster should benefit from the fruits of his fraud without consequence, and that therefore the government is acting correctly. Or is the prosecution of fraud now regarded as Far Right Extremism?

And even if we assume the remainder were all ISIS members then if having 200 odd radicalised, hate filled, terrorist trained religious bigots walking free in the U.K. isn’t a national security issue I’m at a loss as to what is.

Unless of course you wish to argue that they all should be bought back and that the violence and religious bigotry can be talked out if them by sitting in a circle and discussing feelings? Sort of an ISIS Anonymous.
Tnis is why I sit very much on the fence with Shamima Begum, we don’t know what her beliefs are now. Had things remained static under ISIS would she want to come back, my guess is no.

Reactions: 6
Tnis is why I sit very much on the fence with Shamima Begum, we don’t know what her beliefs are now. Had things remained static under ISIS would she want to come back, my guess is no.
My guess is no as well. In fact my guess is that if history had worked out differently and ISIS had prevailed Shamima Begum would currently be sat behind a computer in Raqqa communicating via social media with young girls carrying out exactly the same recruitment procedures that her legal representatives are so desperate for us to believe happened to her. And her kids, had they survived would be about 10 and probably just about to enter their first tranche of training to be Jihadi Warriors.

And from what I’ve seen Shamima’s beliefs seem to be whatever beliefs would be most advantageous to securing her freedom at any given time. They have ranged from I regret nothing, to I was just a housewife, to I did nothing, to I can help the UK government with information (how if you did nothing and know nothing?), to I love and miss my husband and want to live with him, to I was sexually trafficked, to the current I’m the TRUE victim here. The good thing about these threads is that most of those statements are recorded for prosperity.

In short Shamima Begum is almost a text book sociopath.

Reactions: 7
It takes a certain type of person to find joy in beheadings, burning people alive and torture 😐

Reactions: 6

I agree the policy is being used in exactly the way that it was intended. British citizens having their citizenship revoked without due process and while out of the country thus effectively permanently expelling them from the UK and diminishing their ability to mount a successful appeal. The government of the day denied that this was the intention of the legislation and in order to garner the necessary Parliamentary support gave assurances that the power would rarely be used and that there would be a right to full appeals through the UK courts with legal aid if required. That, despite some people's preference to deny Shamima Begum that right, is why we are where we are today. I haven't offered a personal opinion of whether the policy is right or wrong but I note that the International Law Commission has established that states shall not deprive citizenship with the sole purpose of expulsion and I don't follow the current trend to want to breach or scrap international law at every opportunity.

Reactions: 2