Sex And The City And Just Like That...

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I got the box set when I got furloughed and I have been loving it. Like you I would have been the same age watching them and then would sit in my crap clothes in my crap flat in uni wanting to be them. They seemed so old and together and now I'm older than them in the earlier episodes and they seem do bloody stupid about everything. And Carrie is such a selfish, self absorbed witch

Reactions: 15
I liked the first film but the second was pointless IMO So glad they didn't do a third.

Reactions: 7
I'm currently rewatching after discovering it when I was 17.
10 years later I cant help but cringe at some of the storylines.
Never understood the fixation with Big and now I do must be getting old so my taste is maturing 😂
The last episode makes me cry happy tears each time I watch it, even though it's strange to now know that SJP and Kim were not friends at all.

Loved the first movie, second was awful.

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I came into SATC pretty late, like 4 or 5 years ago? And I saw the movies before I saw the show for some reason. I must admit I do love it, I can see aspects of myself in each character (both good and bad) and that has made me reflect and improve myself so I think it’s been good for that.
Part of me wonders if it will ever have a reboot/continuation with a new group. It would be interesting to see what it would be like in the modern age (because as people said, it hasn’t aged well and also could be quite close minded at times)
they made a series called The Carrie Diaries (I think?) a few years ago which was supposed to be Carries story from when she was a teenager..... I never watched it, it seemed like it was aimed at a teenage market.....

I think it’s the kind of show that was very much of it time and if they tried to make an up to date version it just wouldn’t work.

Reactions: 3
Loved it back in the day, but as others say, the mindset has not aged well, although, if it was rebooted, can't help but think all 4 of them would be social media influencers. Maybe all the obsession with looks, designer goods, and being validated by a man is not quite as outdated as we'd like to think!

• Heart
Reactions: 21
they made a series called The Carrie Diaries (I think?) a few years ago which was supposed to be Carries story from when she was a teenager..... I never watched it, it seemed like it was aimed at a teenage market.....

I think it’s the kind of show that was very much of it time and if they tried to make an up to date version it just wouldn’t work.
I watched that and loved it. It was released in around 2013 but only lasted 1 season I think.

I haven't watched satc, I was a kid when it came out. It is on a streaming service so may give it a go.

Loved it back in the day, but as others say, the mindset has not aged well, although, if it was rebooted, can't help but think all 4 of them would be social media influencers. Maybe all the obsession with looks, designer goods, and being validated by a man is not quite as outdated as we'd like to think!
No I think Samantha would be a sex expert. :giggle:

Reactions: 6
Have to say SATC is one of my favourite shows. I've watched it over and over many times. 😅

Yes I loved Richard, there was something powerful about him that was sexy, even though he was a head in the show at times.

I never got the fascination with Aiden. Much preferred Big even though he too was a head at times.

I agree with whoever said it was ridiculous that Stanford and Anthony got together. They hated each other throughout the series so it was weird they suddenly get married in the second movie.

Carrie is very me me me in the show. I loved all the girls but she was very self centered. I think my favourite was Samantha, she took no bullshit.

Carrie randomly bumping into Aiden at the market in Abu Dhabi was really stupid and contrived too.
Yes this was hilariously ridiculous.

Reactions: 10
I agree that sex and the city hasn’t aged all that well but at the same time I think it’s an important, iconic show and am not ashamed to enjoy it in 2020.
It’s interesting how frequently Carrie’s character is criticised when you think SATC came out in the era of tony soprano - the definitive tv antihero, who went on to inspire Don Draper and Walter White. They all treat people like tit, way worse than Carrie , from the pilot to the finale, and at least two of them are actual murderers ffs. But none are held to the same standard as Carrie for her shoe habit and selfishness (or her successor in many ways, Lena Dunham’s character Hannah in Girls).

this is not to criticise anyone who said it here. It’s also annoying when people act as if you can compare the sopranos and SATC on the exact same grounds and to say the former is better is purely sexism. That’s just not true. I love both shows but one is objectively better written, with more time given to nuances and character development and profound story arcs... whatever your personal preference.
And maybe that’s the real feminist issue, it’s not the tired argument that the woman centred shows are unfairly written off as silly dross simply because they are written for women, they actually aren’t given the same resources/ commissions for a higher standard of writing and storylines. Until they are you can’t fairly compare a ‘Tony Soprano’ with a ‘Carrie Bradshaw.’
I think that’s the root of the issue, All that said, but I do still also think Carrie gets a bit of a rough ride. Yeah she’s kind of annoying but also kind of relatable...? Maybe that’s what makes her annoying ?

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Have to say SATC is one of my favourite shows. I've watched it over and over many times. 😅

Yes I loved Richard, there was something powerful about him that was sexy, even though he was a head in the show at times.

I never got the fascination with Aiden. Much preferred Big even though he too was a head at times.

I agree with whoever said it was ridiculous that Stanford and Anthony got together. They hated each other throughout the series so it was weird they suddenly get married in the second movie.

Carrie is very me me me in the show. I loved all the girls but she was very self centered. I think my favourite was Samantha, she took no bullshit.

Yes this was hilariously ridiculous.
I loved it too when it was first on..i remember getting the dvd of the first series and i could only watch it on the play station as it was in american format!
l still love it now although it has dated a bit...
i loved Carries wardrobe and shoes but not her as a character..she was pretty self absorbed and neurotic.
i didnt get the Aiden thing either (funny eyes!) ..but Big had something about him..hated petrovsky especially when he made her miss her little dinner with fans then ignored her at his exhibition!
Samantha is my favourite character ..think i might just dig out thè box set again

Reactions: 10
I loved it too when it was first on..i remember getting the dvd of the first series and i could only watch it on the play station as it was in american format!
l still love it now although it has dated a bit...
i loved Carries wardrobe and shoes but not her as a character..she was pretty self absorbed and neurotic.
i didnt get the Aiden thing either (funny eyes!) ..but Big had something about him..hated petrovsky especially when he made her miss her little dinner with fans then ignored her at his exhibition!
Samantha is my favourite character ..think i might just dig out thè box set again
Yep, I think Petrovsky and Berger were the two characters I didn't really like, mainly because of the way they treated Carrie.

I still love SATC all these years later, I was a bit late to the game as I didn't watch it until about ten years ago but it's a show I can put on in the background and don't have to actively focus on it because I know it so well.

Reactions: 16
I loved Samantha and Richard together, even tho he cheated and made Samantha paranoid they could have been a total power couple.

I couldn't bare the Trey & Bunny parts for Charlotte though, but I loved that they paired her with Harry!

I've always liked Miranda but some of her one liners make me cringe a bit now 😂

Reactions: 12
I think if they did reboot it, they would struggle with Charlotte. Miranda could remain a lawyer, Carrie could be an influencer (would explain endless expensive clothes!) and Samantha could still be in PR (managing Carrie maybe?) but what would you do with Charlotte? Her relationship with Trey was pretty weird in the first place, and now I just can’t imagine something like that.
Unless they turn her into a very rich girl who married someone she didn’t really know from another country so they needed a green card (90 day fiancé vibes) and then Harry could be the lawyer sorting out all of they paperwork?

Reactions: 1
Does anyone follow everyoutfitonsatc on insta? Worth a follow if you’re a satc fan

Reactions: 13
I loved Big. I was like all over the fact he went to Paris and got her.
It is a load of bollocks when watching it now to then though.
Should of not made the second movie that was shite. 😂😂😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Loved the 1st movie but hated the ending for Carrie and Big, she took him back over a pair of shoes and a walk in wardrobe when he was an absolute tool.

Loved Miranda’s story, I cried when they met in the Brooklyn bridge.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.