Selfish Mother

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I agree its on its last legs and honestly, I’m quite sad that such a successful brands has gone tits up so badly. But I think it’s been badly mismanaged.

As for Mama merch, I don’t think that’s going anywhere, but brands go in and out of fashion so quickly. I remember another brand from a few years ago. It seemed to peak at the same time as SM. Their raison d’etre was slogans on sweatshirts, capital letters in primary colours, gags about being tired and needing gin. What WAS that brand? Anyone remember? I haven’t seen their merch on an Instamum in a long time.

EDIT: Just answered my own question - it was Parent Apparel. It was bugging me so I found them with a bit of Googling. Website seems kind of dead (star models being MOD and FOD 😄)

https://www.parent-apparel.com/

They’re a bit more active on Facebook, selling at reduced prices (I remember the Mother Pukka “tit” sweatshirt from a few years ago, thought it was too sweary then and still do!)

https://m.facebook.com/parentapparelproducts/
Ah I remember that brand... Never as prolific as SM and a bit twee for my liking. One of the founders is still in with the instamum crew as I think I spied her in camp bestival pictures. Probably keeping close to make a brand come back!

Reactions: 1
These mama brands don’t last cos the founders run out of steam/move on. It’s like hurrah for gin - one trick pony. Toddlers are mental. Parenting young children is exhausting. Then the kids grow up and it’s all irrelevant. Cue new shiny bunch of young mums with young mum brands. Parent apparel and SM lost it by focussing one one “set” of instamums when they should really be looking to the future. Spot the next influencers who have recently had a baby. When you have a newborn, a 2 year old might as well be a teenager. Get networking molly. You need a new market and they’re 5 years younger.

Reactions: 8
These mama brands don’t last cos the founders run out of steam/move on. It’s like hurrah for gin - one trick pony. Toddlers are mental. Parenting young children is exhausting. Then the kids grow up and it’s all irrelevant. Cue new shiny bunch of young mums with young mum brands. Parent apparel and SM lost it by focussing one one “set” of instamums when they should really be looking to the future. Spot the next influencers who have recently had a baby. When you have a newborn, a 2 year old might as well be a teenager. Get networking molly. You need a new market and they’re 5 years younger.
Great points here. I also think these products appeal to first time mums who are figuring it all out, maybe feeling a little insecure and under enormous pressure.

But once out of that baby and toddler stage it does get easier for many. I definitely don’t feel like I have to prove myself to anyone except my child 😂

Maybe many of these brands lose their original core base as they/we/me grow out of it 🤔

But agree with the comments that there will also be new mums to fill the gaps.

Reactions: 4
These mama brands don’t last cos the founders run out of steam/move on. It’s like hurrah for gin - one trick pony. Toddlers are mental. Parenting young children is exhausting. Then the kids grow up and it’s all irrelevant.
Hurrah For Gin is practically a blast from the past! I She, along with Unmumsy, were probably vying for position of #1 viral social media mum at one point, weren’t they? I think their books came out at around the same time. I had both at one point (cringe) but they went to the charity shop pretty fast. I had a baby and a preschooler then, so the “little kids are arseholes aren’t they? LOL” schtick was something I clung to at the time, because life was HARD.

Unmumsy managed to keep herself relevant by having a third baby (she’s onto her third book now, right? Hurrah For Gin did manage a barrel scraping second book but it must have flopped because the premise was so unfunny). Not to say that she had another child just to keep her fame levels up, but it sure did keep the gravy train chugging along for a few more years. How you convert that very transient, very niche kind of fame going when your kids are all school aged, I don’t know. I guess you just... don’t.

I think their ‘things’ is done now. There are a million and one memes about motherhood and kids being dicks floating round for free that you can share and laugh about with friends/followers. Also go on Etsy and there are loads of sellers selling Mama jumpers, I have an SM one and an Etsy one and yeah SM is better quality but the Etsy one was nearly 1/3 price. Seeing as Ill probably never wear them again after realising how cringe they are wish I’d gone with Etsy in the first place (or none).

They got in whilst the going was good, hopefully they were sensible with the money. Same with the Instamums...hope they’ve been putting money aside because those private school fees won’t pay themselves and the schools don’t care how many followers you have/had.

Reactions: 5
I think their ‘things’ is done now. There are a million and one memes about motherhood and kids being dicks floating round for free that you can share and laugh about with friends/followers. Also go on Etsy and there are loads of sellers selling Mama jumpers, I have an SM one and an Etsy one and yeah SM is better quality but the Etsy one was nearly 1/3 price. Seeing as Ill probably never wear them again after realising how cringe they are wish I’d gone with Etsy in the first place (or none).

They got in whilst the going was good, hopefully they were sensible with the money. Same with the Instamums...hope they’ve been putting money aside because those private school fees won’t pay themselves and the schools don’t care how many followers you have/had.
Maybe the next gen of private schools will be offering #gifted scholarship places to influencers’ children based on how many followers their parents have? 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Great points here. I also think these products appeal to first time mums who are figuring it all out, maybe feeling a little insecure and under enormous pressure.

But once out of that baby and toddler stage it does get easier for many. I definitely don’t feel like I have to prove myself to anyone except my child 😂

Maybe many of these brands lose their original core base as they/we/me grow out of it 🤔

But agree with the comments that there will also be new mums to fill the gaps.
Feeling insecure and under pressure thanks in no small part to the instamamas flogging an unrealistic vision. duck ‘em all. My kids and I all wear Tu and live generally small lives as they’re little. I have no ambition to show off the flashier side to life in order to get validation for “living better” than the next person.

Struggling to explain my issue with the physical stuff brands vs the grifter privacy sellers. I don’t have any problems with someone making tit to sell for cash, that’s capitalism baby. But then it’s all muddied with the instafam peace sign mama ad gifted press discount child privacy violation rubbish and they morph from being simply a business flogging wares to something that can be quite dark.

Reactions: 7
40% off EVERYTHING on the Selfish Mother website this weekend....just after a massively promoted sample sale/stock clearance?

• Wow
Just had a look at the site. Hardly any kids stuff and mostly sold out. So just the mama type stuff which doesn’t do it for me.

She said she is gearing up to hold ‘workshops and events’ at the Bruton Hq the other day so maybe she’s reinventing Selfish mother and trying to get rid of the unwanted stock to focus more on that?

Reactions: 2
She’s selling courses now. They’re 4 for the price of 3, plus she says they are “on sale” so have additional discounts 😬

The 2018 accounts are due imminently: will be interesting to see how successful MAMAmerch Actually is.

Think SM has made up a story about “chipped nails” to fuel engagement

If her story is true (dubious), who even cares if someone messages you to point out that your nails are chipped?! Granted it’s an odd message to send. But these influencers just see it as an opportunity to big themselves up about how they’re too busy being busy and successful to worry about their nails. I dunno just find this whole thing so strange and totally cyclical. I’m very cynical with these blatant attempts for pats on the back from the insta crew.

I always try and imagine these scenarios in everyday life. Can you imagine if you overheard a rude comment at the bank and decided to share it with all your Facebook friends. Eg “I’m just at the bank and someone said my baby was crying a lot. Well I’m sorry but I’m so successful and rich that I need to be at the bank. I made 50k in the last 6 months and I’m busy renovating our house with luxury fittings.”. Isn’t the point of the post sort of lost? It just becomes a humble brag.

• Haha
Is the spa post gifted or not then? For someone who claims to flog lessons in how to social media, she’s pretty rubbish at it.

And LOL at the the own brand gin. This from a woman who was going to have a year off booze for her sanity.

I cannot believe the SM brand has branched out to gin (and the rambling, slightly guilty sounding email extolling the virtues of drinking responsibly was hilarious). Just... why? I thought the scented candles were pointless and self indulgent, but gin is next level hubris.

The gin market is saturated! Why would you buy Selfish Mother gin when there’s a dozen brands on every supermarket shelf?

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Not even on-brand? Could see the hurrah for gin woman doing it in line with the new book. But SM? Just weird. No, not weird. Desperate.

Reactions: 3
IMO, mamamerch is just a glorified version of all the pyramid schemes that popped up everywhere around the same time a few years ago (forever living, nuskin, Herbalife). They centre on flogging stuff to your pals and wider network, which people buy one time to support your ‘mama business’ (empowering women!!!!) but they’re basically tit products, so there’s no repeat custom and the floggers eventually piss of all their friends with repeated pestering to buy, before their ‘business’ fizzles out.

Reactions: 6