Selfish Mother

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I do think her and her husband are having problems as the business is going down hill and less money. Just something I assumed from insta today

I unfollowed sometime back, found her to be so fake. Just another privileged, white mama. I too cringe at the site of the hideous Mama, Papa jumpers and ‘winging it’- all to make us feel part of something that we are not. I unfollowed when she launched the dire zine.

Reactions: 5
She never sticks at anything. What happened to the weekly blogzine on insta? That lasted about three months. I also think she used to do some kind of mama retreat - that seems to have gone by the wayside too.
I said similar upthread. She’s so flaky. The blog seems to have fallen by the wayside. The “Insta-zine” crashed and burned rapidly. She just can’t seem to stick at anything.

The Bruton shop must have haemorrhaged money. When it opened, I (speaking as someone who knows NOTHING about running a business) I thought it seemed risky to open a bricks and mortar shop in a fairly obscure town in the Westcountry. They gave away free Prosecco and wasted £££ on a massive, self-indulgent mural. When you have a successful online business, it just seemed mad to pour money into opening a physical shop. It was so unnecessary.

But I think, maybe, running an online shop just wasn’t very glamorous, and Molly was bored and isolated and enticed by the idea of this fabulous, buzzy “space” where she could host talks and events and invite Insta-Royalty to come and share their wisdom with similarly white, monied, middle class women. It was never going to be sustainable.

And now I don’t think the online shop is going to see Christmas. The brand/celeb collaborations seem to have dried up (whether that’s because Molly couldn’t drum up any interest or... got bored of doing them, I don’t know). I don’t say that with any glee whatsoever. It was a really successful business and they didn’t seem to plan for the fact that, once someone has one MOTHER jumper, they aren’t going to buy one every season.

Reactions: 7
I said similar upthread. She’s so flaky. The blog seems to have fallen by the wayside. The “Insta-zine” crashed and burned rapidly. She just can’t seem to stick at anything.

The Bruton shop must have haemorrhaged money. When it opened, I (speaking as someone who knows NOTHING about running a business) I thought it seemed risky to open a bricks and mortar shop in a fairly obscure town in the Westcountry. They gave away free Prosecco and wasted £££ on a massive, self-indulgent mural. When you have a successful online business, it just seemed mad to pour money into opening a physical shop. It was so unnecessary.

But I think, maybe, running an online shop just wasn’t very glamorous, and Molly was bored and isolated and enticed by the idea of this fabulous, buzzy “space” where she could host talks and events and invite Insta-Royalty to come and share their wisdom with similarly white, monied, middle class women. It was never going to be sustainable.

And now I don’t think the online shop is going to see Christmas. The brand/celeb collaborations seem to have dried up (whether that’s because Molly couldn’t drum up any interest or... got bored of doing them, I don’t know). I don’t say that with any glee whatsoever. It was a really successful business and they didn’t seem to plan for the fact that, once someone has one MOTHER jumper, they aren’t going to buy one every season.
Wow yes yes yes you’ve truly said it so eloquently. I fear the same and I use the word fear as I think when you have a fledgling business with employees that depend on you, it’s a scary thing.

I never understood some of their business decisions either. Also I noticed someone on her Instagram asked what was the status of supporting charities and she said that they are now one off projects.....

Reactions: 1
The charity thing is interesting. I just took a look at the website for the first time in ages. Only the sale items say #goodtees and mention charity contributions. The newer jumpers (which have had the prices jacked up by a fiver to £55) don’t mention charities at all.

Reactions: 1
Yep I think there any money problems now I’m her business. It’s a shame as I became interested due to the charity side of things. She keeps emailing me of her 2 for 1 courses..: what the hell are they lol

Interesting, after she shared her little darlings leaving state school and starting at a very expensive private school.
8C739EDF-8537-45AE-93A5-75AE8690BCAF.jpeg

I also never got my head round her irritating store. Genuinely thought it was The F***MyLifestore and thought the Y was a question. Just has a look and see the amazing zine which I had to unfollow didn’t last longer. It was awful. My sister has a mama sweatshirt which is very embarrassing for the family as a whole.

Last edited:
  • Haha
She’s being really shady at the minute. Celebs were only interested as they thought the money was going to a good cause.

They all move out of London to the sticks and plonk their children straight into private school don’t they? Whether it’s simply because non-London private schools are more “affordable”, or whether the state options just aren’t good enough for them I don’t know.

Either way, there’s no way that Molly herself wasn’t privately educated. I can spot a private school gel a mile off. Well, that, and the voice 😄

Reactions: 5
Is this the account that’s collaborated with Chilly (drinks bottle) recently? If so her bottles are more expensive than the collaboration they did with Emma Bridgewater...!!

Reactions: 2
Wow that's an expensive bottle! She's got a book out this month, 'how to make fans and influencer people' - I mean, the bad grammar annoyed me from the start!

She has a recent post regarding the change in how they give to charities.... a woman responded really pleasantly saying to be please be very upfront and clear on their charity aspects because essentially this was how her brand was built “good tees” and of course like all these insta’sssssss she sees it as slightly accusatory instead of constructive feedback telling the woman “wow don’t hold back the punches” 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Reactions: 3
She has a recent post regarding the change in how they give to charities.... a woman responded really pleasantly saying to be please be very upfront and clear on their charity aspects because essentially this was how her brand was built “good tees” and of course like all these insta’sssssss she sees it as slightly accusatory instead of constructive feedback telling the woman “wow don’t hold back the punches” 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
I think it’s the same person who has said their original comment has now been deleted. Her husband has waded in in a really passive aggressive way asking the commenter to email or phone their ‘lovely’ team. Obviously hit a nerve.

I live in the heart of SE London instamum-ville and I haven't seen a Selfish Mother jumper/ t-shirt in ages. I think they have truly had their day.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I've never found her content particularly interesting, and she often used others content to bolster her own - she was a magpie content creator, if you like. I remember when Selfish Mother began, you had to pay to post your content there, that disappeared shortly after.

She is also ex London and I do think many of these people high tail it out saying they'll never be back and then try to recreate a London life wherever they are and that just doesn't happen, because, erm, it's not London.

Oh and you'd never see me in a sweater saying MOTHER on it ..my harassed face tells you that ...

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I've never found her content particularly interesting, and she often used others content to bolster her own - she was a magpie content creator, if you like. I remember when Selfish Mother began, you had to pay to post your content there, that disappeared shortly after.

She is also ex London and I do think many of these people high tail it out saying they'll never be back and then try to recreate a London life wherever they are and that just doesn't happen, because, erm, it's not London.

Oh and you'd never see me in a sweater saying MOTHER on it ..my harassed face tells you that ...
SAME

I’ve just looked up that post. They’re no longer donating a sum of money for every item sold (it used to be £10 per jumper and £5 per t shirt IIRC) “because it was getting harder to make all the figures add up”?

What does that even mean?

How dishonest. It’s obvious that they are no longer donating a % of sales because the business is struggling. Now I’m not expecting them to be as candid as that, but to make up some BS excuse like that just makes them look financially incompetent

Reactions: 3
I'm just surprised they haven't kept at least one of their basic line as a donation item? Yes, they are going to carry on doing charity collaborations, but surely it can't make that much difference to their figures to do something like that?