Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
I had neighbours years ago who had a teenage son with a medical condition that was unusual but not life threatening though required lots of operations to correct. The advice given was get it done when he’s fully an adult and the chances are he’d need less surgery as they couldn’t predict if the condition would override the surgery as he grew. Something along those lines. Parents put the kid through the ops in childhood and sold his story to all the mags like Take A Break, Woman’s Own, Woman’s Weekly etc. They had all the papers round, many visits from footballers, all creating new stories for them to cash in on.

The kid went from running around with all his pals to being confined to a wheelchair while in recovery from the ops. They moved eventually but I do hope he’s ok.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 26

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
I’ve mentioned this before but I remember one story from either Take a Break or Chat where a woman found out her husband was having and affair so she got revenge by making him a steak pie using dog shit from their pet Alsatian instead of meat. He ate the lot and said it was delicious. So obviously made up I mean it would stink for starters, but so batshit I’ve never forgotten it!

• Haha
  • Sick

Dotty Merton

VIP Member
It’s actually Steve Coogan but there’s a conspiracy on here to cover it up 😉
I can feel a Coogan historic issue brewing in my waters I tell ya but not this one!

The 80s were the BEST !
I used to sit by the front door after school every Wednesday waiting for the paper boy to deliver Smash Hits …. You had two deliveries in those days. Take me BACK !
Sunday night radio 1, Top 40, recording your fav songs on tape and then playing them back to write the lyrics down then it would be pervy Peel but I'd wait for Sunday night soul with Robbie Vincent.

• Heart
  • Haha

Shoegal17

VIP Member
I used to get that. i loved all the old magazines….. they were about 20p, only last week I looked at the front of my good housekeeping (well I’m in my 50’s now you know) and they’re £5.99! I have a subscription and pay about half that.

OMG I STILL HAVE MINE TOO!!!

it’s a light blue colour, plastic was meant to last in those days
Oh mine is hot pink
I used to get that. i loved all the old magazines….. they were about 20p, only last week I looked at the front of my good housekeeping (well I’m in my 50’s now you know) and they’re £5.99! I have a subscription and pay about half that.

OMG I STILL HAVE MINE TOO!!!

it’s a light blue colour, plastic was meant to last in those days
Oh mine was hot pink version, still going strong and I still use it on damp hair! Just realised how old it must be! 🤣🤣

Attachments

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 25

Serene Serena

VIP Member
I'm way behind on the thread and don't know where this will land, but my mind keeps returning to Cliff Richard the Assassin from one of the previous threads. The mental image never stops being entertaining. 😂
My favourite bit was when a poster, obviously not up to speed on the insane Kitty theories we’d been coming up with, thought that some of us were genuinely convinced that Sir Cliff had personally been responsible for murdering Jill Dando, arranging the death of Princess Diana, the mastermind behind 9/11, the faked moon landings, Covid 19 and the war in Ukraine, amongst many other global events and atrocities.

“But he sang Summer Holiday and drove a double decker bus!”

😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha

Cariad

VIP Member
Found the above after looking up if I was right about Fiona Bruce appearing in it.
Very interesting article. I'd forgotten who the editor was.
I also think Lesley ? who had the first trout pout (gone wrong) was in it as a model.
Interesting about Hugh Grant, George Michael etc.
My brother also worked for D C Thompson and started on Bunty comic and then was promoted to Jackie ( his dog was even featured in a fashion photoshoot!) I also had a friend at school who had a place to study English literature at Edinburgh Uni but decided she'd rather work for Jackie!
Nina Myskow's mum was my biology teacher
I got a few free samples courtesy of his work which as a teenager in the 70's was amazing

• Heart
  • Wow

katz2022

Chatty Member
This thread just brings me total joy, though my fellow train travellers probably think I’m like the chess player with vibrating beads up an orifice. I can’t stop giggling.

• Haha

HaloGirl

VIP Member
New thread here: Please carry on pouring that tea. We discussed amongst other topics, the prime time presenter who has been making news this week. Midge Ure hasn’t been given enough credit for Band Aid. And Katy Perry particularly the video of her receiving THAT text.
As you were.

Edit: I couldn’t post this on the last thread but to @Eirawen and @Amelia99. Reading your posts just want to say I applaud you both - May you have further success in life.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Ennui

VIP Member
Miranda Sawyer, I remember her too! The Pet Shop Boys were in their hey day when I was reading SH so they always used to refer back to him working there.
Loved their little stock phrases that they used, can’t remember any of them right now but they used to make me chuckle. It was a really good publication for many, many reasons ❤
Uncle Disgusting, It's Like Punk Never Appened, Sir Billiam of Idol, Take a note Ms Perkins, Sir Clifford of Richard... Probably not aged too well that last one.

It felt more like a private club than a magazine.

I also remember when they used to ask popstars if they'd ever been sick in their slippers or grown parsnips in a gumboot.

• Haha
  • Heart

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
Yes! Loved both those guys at Prince Phillip i can’t wait to see if the latest actor playing him will do a good job or not.

I know Olivia Coleman has loads of fans and i do think she’s a great actress normally but i hated her playing The Queen!!! Lol
I believed Claire Foy was The Queen, where as with Olivia I thought it was just Olivia Coleman playing The Queen if that makes sense. Likewise Helen Bonham Carter was so wrong for Princess Margaret I don’t know where to start. Vanessa Kirby was excellent though. They didn’t get it all wrong with series three and four though Charles and Diana was very good IMO.

• Heart

petitspois

VIP Member
So glad to see I’m not the only one who thinks that! I‘m mystified by the Coleman worship. I think she’s a dreadful actress who is exactly the same in everything she does and has a really annoying voice too. The fact that she has an Oscar just shows how ridiculous those awards are. So, yeah, I don’t rate her…… in case I hadn't made that clear. 😂
I feel the same about Judi Dench. She's always Judi Dench.

• Heart