Sarah Akwisombe #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She could also get in trouble with the ASA for promoting her clients businesses and not marking it as an Ad. I know someone said that it should only be marked as an Ad if she’s getting paid, but she is, her clients pay for her “coaching” and if she helps her clients gaining new audience it should be marked as an Ad.

I was looking back at her profile yesterday and she seemed to have had such a good shot with interiors and her blogging school, and a good life with a nice family. I still can’t believe it she blew it all for the pursuit of cash, such a cautionary tale about how money for the sake of money doesn’t bring happiness, quite the opposite. Her 2020 profile is nothing like the old days, it’s tacky and tasteless, all about making money, spending money, and the drama.

I still find it crazy that she could have fixed this and come out stronger, but she decided to go down the greed route, which totally ruined her, her family and her business.
That was me. Google Instagram advertising rules of disclosure uk & the top link titled An influencers guide to making clear that ads are ads makes for a very interesting read. Money does need to change hands but it’s murky as to whether putting a clients post on stories is classed as an ad. What is classed as an ad are any post where you are advertising your own services. Which means many instagrammers, Sarah included fall foul unless they include #ad preferably at the start of their post. Interestingly any post where a discount is offered eg you will receive 20% discount if you use code Sarah20 as an example is an ad. As with the swipe ups on stories if they involve a click through sale.

Reactions: 3
She could also get in trouble with the ASA for promoting her clients businesses and not marking it as an Ad. I know someone said that it should only be marked as an Ad if she’s getting paid, but she is, her clients pay for her “coaching” and if she helps her clients gaining new audience it should be marked as an Ad.

I was looking back at her profile yesterday and she seemed to have had such a good shot with interiors and her blogging school, and a good life with a nice family. I still can’t believe it she blew it all for the pursuit of cash, such a cautionary tale about how money for the sake of money doesn’t bring happiness, quite the opposite. Her 2020 profile is nothing like the old days, it’s tacky and tasteless, all about making money, spending money, and the drama.

I still find it crazy that she could have fixed this and come out stronger, but she decided to go down the greed route, which totally ruined her, her family and her business.
Her behaviour is typical for a narcissist...😩

Thanks @OmyOmy - that’s really interesting. With my clients I am forbidden from advertising their services because of the conflict of interest.

Reactions: 5
Thanks @OmyOmy - that’s really interesting. With my clients I am forbidden from advertising their services because of the conflict of interest.
The ASA will be able to guide you & advise you with regard to conflict of interest if you are referencing Instagram & if it concerned you as rules pertaining to Instagram are a whole other beast. From what I can see in my own feed so many do not use #ad & unless anyone reports them nothing will happen as Instagram is too for them to monitor. A naughty list does appear to be published by the ASA every Wednesday so if anyone can be bothered Sarah & NBBS plus Toss Tragic can be reported & added to that list purely on the basis they are advertising their own products & services & not using #ad.

I don’t think sharing clients posts needs to be marked as an ad. I shared other businesses all the time, including clients posts. It’s not an ad. I get no financial benefit from doing it.

Reactions: 2
I'd argue that in the case of Sarah Akwisombe, she told prospective clients that she would amplify their posts via her own channels - helping increase their reach and resultant sales.

As they then signed up and paid for her services, with this as an offering as part of the "package" to them, it's pretty clear cut that this is effectively a service she has charged them for, even if "rolled up" into the pricing, so is therefore paid advertising and should have been marked as such.

I know there were posts from people confirming this - can we remember who it was?

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I don’t think sharing clients posts needs to be marked as an ad. I shared other businesses all the time, including clients posts. It’s not an ad. I get no financial benefit from doing it.
I think it’s such a fine line. I agree with you because she wasn’t actively touting anything, BUT she was sharing testimonials and customer posts as a way of continually selling courses that she couldn’t deliver on to make the “milli” so could be argued that they should be marked somewhere that their basis was on driving more sign ups.

I agree though, it’s not completely black and white.

Reactions: 5
That was me. Google Instagram advertising rules of disclosure uk & the top link titled An influencers guide to making clear that ads are ads makes for a very interesting read. Money does need to change hands but it’s murky as to whether putting a clients post on stories is classed as an ad. What is classed as an ad are any post where you are advertising your own services. Which means many instagrammers, Sarah included fall foul unless they include #ad preferably at the start of their post. Interestingly any post where a discount is offered eg you will receive 20% discount if you use code Sarah20 as an example is an ad. As with the swipe ups on stories if they involve a click through sale.
It doesn’t look like you do need to disclose when promoting clients, as there’s no direct financial benefit

There’s obviously a relationship benefit to that so I agree that it’s murky. But unless she’s sharing affiliate links for the clients then it’s fine.

Sharing her own products and services is an ad though which can be called out

I think it’s such a fine line. I agree with you because she wasn’t actively touting anything, BUT she was sharing testimonials and customer posts as a way of continually selling courses that she couldn’t deliver on to make the “milli” so could be argued that they should be marked somewhere that their basis was on driving more sign ups.

I agree though, it’s not completely black and white.
She can probably be done for the misleading claims, illegal sales tactics and flagged in their covid complaints for taking advantage of people in this crazy time.

The client testimony thing is weird as they clearly believed at the time of posting that they had benefited. I would love to know if they stand by that now, any testimony should be signed off by the client before sharing.

Still find it interesting that if she truly stood by it all why isn’t she still coaching?! 😝

I'd argue that in the case of Sarah Akwisombe, she told prospective clients that she would amplify their posts via her own channels - helping increase their reach and resultant sales.

As they then signed up and paid for her services, with this as an offering as part of the "package" to them, it's pretty clear cut that this is effectively a service she has charged them for, even if "rolled up" into the pricing, so is therefore paid advertising and should have been marked as such.

I know there were posts from people confirming this - can we remember who it was?
Technically that would qualify according to the ASA as its an agreement to promote. So she would fall foul if she had shared them, which she rarely did

But... she also falls foul on not sharing them as she didn’t meet the description of the product that she lured people in with

She’s damned both ways.

I worked in marketing in a highly regulated environment for a long time so am clued up on the fundamentals of making product claims.

As a marketer you have to have evidence when making claims, or testimonials and you have to follow through on product delivery promises or they will come down on you like a tonne of 🧱

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Something is going on..... NBBS have agreed this lady's refund, granted they're making it difficult for her, but looks like she has some good advice how to get round the obstacles the Akwisombes are trying to put in place:

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 6
kind of off topic but it's about refunds, is this allowed? (it's from a course from Sara Tasker- I always think not offering any kind of refund is unnacceptable)

Attachments

kind of off topic but it's about refunds, is this allowed? (it's from a course from Sara Tasker- I always think not offering any kind of refund is unnacceptable)
I have never heard of her but I would say no. Can you please let me know the name of her Insta account or website?

I have never heard of her but I would say no. Can you please let me know the name of her Insta account or website?
it's meandorla.co.uk. Doesn't sit right, does it!

it's in the FAQs for the 15 minue magic course, it's not easy to find.

Why does Anna Butterworth have her head so firmly up SA’s arse?! And why is it ‘awful’ that people want refunds?! twit.

Reactions: 4
I think someone also identified on a few threads back that she’s someone who still actively champions Sarah too, so she’s a no from me.

Reactions: 1
she is saying that you can defer on to another course. Well may be able to defer. I guess it’s to stop people time wasting. At lease she actually looks like she sends out proper information about her courses

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.