Sali Hughes #9 I put myself online and people had opinions

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'll answer what is good about Primark:
Excellent BFing bras, christmas PJs, generally like the PJs anyway, white t-shirts for wearing around home, only shop locally now that sells affordable baby basics.
I like a lot of stuff there. The sizes CAN be a bit hit and miss so you do have to try things on, but the quality of the clothes is as good as any of the high street shops.
Some of the make up is very good. I really like the matte foundation and the £1 lipsticks are amazing.

Not just baby wear but kids clothes in general. I just can't see the point in paying a fortune for kids everyday clothes when they grow out of them so quickly.

But then again in Sali and her 'armys' book, I'm clearly some sort of lower class person who doesn't care about the environment, because I shop in Primark.

Reactions: 5
But then again in Sali and her 'armys' book, I'm clearly some sort of lower class person who doesn't care about the environment, because I shop in Primark
This is a perfidious way to put the blame of what is happening to the environment on ordinary people (dislike this term in any language, but can't think of another one at the moment). Yes, we must make better choices (when we can), recycle etc., but it is not you, me or some other woman with hair rollers at the shops that holds all the blame, especially compared to industrial mastodons. Just look at all the books influencers publish, they make more damage to the environment (and our general well being) than false lashes and press on nails. Again, I emphasize our own responsibility, but even if you buy from a fast fashion store, because that is what your budget allows, it doesn't mean that you will toss that item in a month.

Reactions: 7
but even if you buy from a fast fashion store, because that is what your budget allows, it doesn't mean that you will toss that item in a month.
Absolutely this in a nutshell. I can honestly say that I have NEVER bought an article of clothing, worn it a couple of times and then just binned it.

In fact the only item of clothing I've ever had that I've only worn once was my wedding dress!

Reactions: 5
This is a perfidious way to put the blame of what is happening to the environment on ordinary people (dislike this term in any language, but can't think of another one at the moment). Yes, we must make better choices (when we can), recycle etc., but it is not you, me or some other woman with hair rollers at the shops that holds all the blame, especially compared to industrial mastodons. Just look at all the books influencers publish, they make more damage to the environment (and our general well being) than false lashes and press on nails. Again, I emphasize our own responsibility, but even if you buy from a fast fashion store, because that is what your budget allows, it doesn't mean that you will toss that item in a month.
See also: plastic straws. The individualisation of responsibility irks me too, when corporations and governments continue to trash the environment with impunity

I assume the article Dawn refers to when speaking about the "coven" is this one https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2011/aug/06/cherry-healey-dawn-porter-lessons
How popular is this program? Broad audience? Will SH hear of it and wither a bit?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
In fact the only item of clothing I've ever had that I've only worn once was my wedding dress!
That wasn't very sustainable of you, Cassie! You should have gone to the Vampire's Wife for *two* dresses. That's the sustainable way.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
From that article.

Dawn Porter, the thinking man's blow-up doll, embarked on a series of deeply personal adventures into her fluff-bound psyche.
bleeping hell. And we’re the witches, right?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
From that article.

bleeping hell. And we’re the witches, right?
I know! It was a weird trend for a bit though. Jim Shelley in Guardian guide, then Brooker and Dent. I think Popworld was part of it too. It went beyond cynicism to nastiness.
I think some of it still persists. Attacking or sneering at pronvicial stuff. Like taking the piss out of someone for looking like "a builder from South Shields" or "a barmaid from Nuneaton ". It's vile and writers really show their arse when they engage in it.

Reactions: 6
Related: it's amusing to me that influencers like Sali think they are doing us proles a favour by making videos. As though they are blessing us with their waffle. Mostly, I just get impatient and want them to get to the bloody point. I'd love to take a cartoonishly large pair of scissors to most of their output and edit that crap back
This is so true. Not just SH but there is such a lot of waffle on those things. They sort of say exactly the same thing in about 4 different ways. I think this is why a lot of them are so useless and inarticulate if they ever wander over onto another medium eg TV or radio. You would think they would be good as broadcasters but they just aren't. They can't really think on their feet (as they can't rely on an edit facility) or be concise.

SH and drag queens - didn't she have them at her wedding party? Not sure which dress she was in at that point.

Reactions: 2
Careful mentioning on Twitter that you like a film if you're a mate of Sali's.
I'd bleeping love an Austen scholar to wade in and explain that, though Clueless is an excellent film, in terms of adapting the novel blah blah blah...

Here we go again, nothing SH declares can be opposed to or debated. Her second response is a joy too, allowing her opponent to ‘carry on’. She really never gets off that high horse. Must be the fear of losing her Louboutins again.

PS had to check out how you spell the goddamn shoes which is an unequivocal confirmation of my low-class high-street skidmark background.:p

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I’m sorry you’re being bullied at work. I hope that Friday is as painless as possible.

my beefy, skid marked face is blessed with greasy eyelids (I’m a real beauty, me!) and I favour a near-Amy Winehouse amount of eyeliner. My fave budget one is from CYO which is at Boots, though I heard a nasty rumour it was discontinued. Illamasqua also make a great one but it’s £20, and being another Scottish twit, I perpetuate the stereotype of being tight with money so rarely buy it. Though, if my CYO is no more, I’ll have to cough up. Begrudgingly!
Thank you - cheered me up! I think CYO is being discontinued

Reactions: 1
Btw, @ScottishTwat I need to apologise for falling asleep the other night after asking you a question. Must have seemed so rude. My DMs are open to you if I can offer any help and/or support or just for you to vent. X

See also: plastic straws. The individualisation of responsibility irks me too, when corporations and governments continue to trash the environment with impunity

How popular is this program? Broad audience? Will SH hear of it and wither a bit?
The podcast? It's quite new, Haig one was 2nd episode.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Btw, @ScottishTwat I need to apologise for falling asleep the other night after asking you a question. Must have seemed so rude. My DMs are open to you if I can offer any help and/or support or just for you to vent. X

The podcast? It's quite new, Haig one was 2nd episode.
Oh I think I got the wrong end of the stick. Thought DoP was a guest on some Matt Haig program

I'm not from here (there) 😞
I hadn't even heard of DoP until coming here on Freaky Friday

Reactions: 1
Matt Haig was talking about his thread. He said there's "not literally a positive comment about any of them" (last part wasn't clear but I think that's what we said). If you look at his thread there are several positive comments on 1st page.
Clearly picking out those comments which illustrate his point. I mean, it’s almost as if they think they can bend reality to fit their bleeping narrative. FWIW he bores the bleeping tit out of me. *taps screen* did you see that MH?

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.