Sali Hughes #8 The palpable absence of chill

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
And like general ageing, how you manage menopause seems to come down a lot to what you can afford. It feels like all the people writing about it in the media (eg patsy kensit in the Sunday times style magazine just gone), on podcasts etc, can and have spent what seems to be a lot of money on private consultations, blood tests, etc. Is anyone writing about it from the average woman’s POV?

• Heart
Reactions: 7
And like general ageing, how you manage menopause seems to come down a lot to what you can afford. It feels like all the people writing about it in the media (eg patsy kensit in the Sunday times style magazine just gone), on podcasts etc, can and have spent what seems to be a lot of money on private consultations, blood tests, etc. Is anyone writing about it from the average woman’s POV?
THIS!
And we should have our own manifesto: CLASS STRUGGLE AND THE MENOPAUSE
Btw It's not Sali who's writing the book, but some other journo from The Pool. I don't know if she got paid.

Reactions: 2
Menopause is the new untapped market. Mega money. Us "approachers" have cash to burn, and no brain cells to process the influencer manipulation, just as we blindly buy shower caps and foam-tipped rose gold tubes of tit concealer. Soon we will be buying vag hydration peptides and clitoral sheet masks if we believe it will stave off the march of time 🤔🤣

I'm sorry to hear about your endometriosis experience, AmberSpyglass. A close friend is in this situation and it is awful. Now that's a condition that needs more exposure.

Edited to say - not that I mean menopause does not need exposure, it does. And from a regular woman's experience as discussed above. Endo is poorly diagnosed, women are dismissed until its as extreme as AmberSpyglass's experience.

Reactions: 8
Menopause is the new untapped market. Mega money. Us "approachers" have cash to burn, and no brain cells to process the influencer manipulation, just as we blindly buy shower caps and foam-tipped rose gold tubes of tit concealer. Soon we will be buying vag hydration peptides and clitoral sheet masks if we believe it will stave off the march of time 🤔🤣

I'm sorry to hear about your endometriosis experience, AmberSpyglass. A close friend is in this situation and it is awful. Now that's a condition that needs more exposure.
Thanks.

I had completed my family when I had my diagnosis, we were hugely lucky I think, my surgeon was surprised I’d had children , my sister couldn’t because of it.

It’s a terrible condition and one reason I refused HRT is because oestrogen can cause endo to regrow , it affected my bowel but I refused bowel surgery because of the risks and all is well at this point < touches wood> .

It’s a very difficult condition for sure.

• Sad
Yes agree re money. Another thing on the podcast was the acknowledgement all three had paid to go private, including SH for her tests for the not-menopause-yet. And at top London rates I'm presuming.
Menopause does seem to be the new big thing - I presume as a lot of celebs/journos/writers are about that age. They all want to be the one to fearlessly discuss it and break through 'the final taboo'. Eg Meg Matthews. I suppose when it happens to them it is endlessly fascinating and unusual. As is everything apparently. And worth monitising.
If I hear another well-known person discussing on tv or in the media saying 'another thing nobody ever tells you about the menopause is xyz (insert something quite obvious) - and I just wanted to talk about my own experience and to demystify it' in that incredibly patronising way I'll, well I'll do nothing but tut loudly probably.
I can't wait until Moran feels the need to talk about it. Lots of stuff about her fanny no doubt and how we should never be ashamed of talking about the menopausal fanny.

• Haha
I'm glad it worked out OK for you in that you had children, and are symptom free now. I imagine you never felt lucky with all the pain you lived with.

Hi pals, I’ve been lurking since that infamous video. It’s not nearly as bad here as it’s been made out to be, to put it mildly. I don’t really have anything insightful to say, but I wanted to throw in Mac’s lipstick in ‘mehr’ as a nice ‘my lips but better’ option. The makeup artist who did my wedding makeup recommended it to me and it works for my pale skin. Bit late to that particular discussion but I finally caught up and wanted to throw it out there in case it was useful to someone else! #notanad #notsponsored 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 24
On the subject of older women influencers/bloggers, I really like Alyson Walsh of That's Not My Age.

www.thatsnotmyage.com

She's mid 50s now and hasn't had anything done to her face, a rare thing in that world. She does have (declared) ads and sponsorships but it doesn't bother me, she always includes high street options. Her blog has a thoughtful approach to ageing I like and she features really interesting women. It's centred on style but there's just more depth and intelligence there than the Sali gang and their edge of desperation and denial. I'm over a decade younger (ooh that sounded a bit "I'm not there yet!") than Alyson and reading TNMA makes me not fear ageing.

On the subject of older women influencers/bloggers, I really like Alyson Walsh of That's Not My Age.

www.thatsnotmyage.com

She's mid 50s now and hasn't had anything done to her face, a rare thing in that world. She does have (declared) ads and sponsorships but it doesn't bother me, she always includes high street options. Her blog has a thoughtful approach to ageing I like and she features really interesting women. It's centred on style but there's just more depth and intelligence there than the Sali gang and their edge of desperation and denial. I'm over a decade younger (ooh that sounded a bit "I'm not there yet!") than Alyson and reading TNMA makes me not fear ageing.
She’s wonderful, I love her book Know Your Style but hadn’t realised she had a blog so thank you.

Reactions: 1
Does it include a section on making snarky observations about teenagers on trains? These youngsters, youth is wasted on them! They're not as good at taking drugs and shagging as we used to be! Still are, in fact! Us generation Xers can outshag and outdrug Gen Zers any day of the week !
🍆💊🍆💊🍆💊🍆💊🍆💊🍆💊🍆💊🍆💊🍆💊🍆

And twice on Tuesdays

🍆
"My busy train". Not the busy train that Sali is on, but 'her' busy train. Entitled much?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Evening Skidders...! I also came here after Freaky Friday to see what all the fuss was about and am completely shocked to see it’s nothing like she made it out to be! On a separate note, I recently listened to Sali’s two episodes on the Emma Guns Show podcast from Oct 2016. In the first episode Sali said she never reads gossip about herself online and only had to step in once for some stuff on MumsNet. But the second episode was quite interesting. She sang the praises of Nadine Baggott and that it’s great how she’s so open about her Botox (can’t remember her exact words but something along the lines of how it’s good for women in their 50s to know that you can’t be wrinkle free just by creams and serums). Made me wonder why Sali can’t have the same transparency and honesty. I myself have Botox and am pleased with the results but for too long I was spending a fortune on the latest skincare I’d seen on these influencers. I used to really like Sali but in the last year or so she’s come across as really snipey and angry. Very strange....

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Hi pals, I’ve been lurking since that infamous video. It’s not nearly as bad here as it’s been made out to be, to put it mildly. I don’t really have anything insightful to say, but I wanted to throw in Mac’s lipstick in ‘mehr’ as a nice ‘my lips but better’ option. The makeup artist who did my wedding makeup recommended it to me and it works for my pale skin. Bit late to that particular discussion but I finally caught up and wanted to throw it out there in case it was useful to someone else! #notanad #notsponsored 😊
Does it include a section on making snarky observations about teenagers on trains? These youngsters, youth is wasted on them! They're not as good at taking drugs and shagging as we used to be! Still are, in fact! Us generation Xers can outshag and outdrug Gen Zers any day of the week !
🍆💊🍆💊🍆💊🍆💊🍆💊🍆💊🍆💊🍆💊🍆💊🍆

And twice on Tuesdays

🍆
Oh ffs! What a head! I misread SB for SH. 🤪

• Haha

www.thatsnotmyage.com

I love her, she's pure class and elegance.

Yes agree re money. Another thing on the podcast was the acknowledgement all three had paid to go private, including SH for her tests for the not-menopause-yet. And at top London rates I'm presuming.
Exactly. And you can't monetise the good old NHS and its properly tested drugs....but you can monetise private doctors and take MAAAASSSIVE cash from pharma companies for private prescriptions.

Except these private 'bio-identical hormones' are untested, and the British Menopause Society has already produced guidance on advertising them:

Reactions: 5
(Disclaimer: Please feel free to tell me to go f-myself. I can't wait to for menopause, I've had my period since I was 10, it's too much pain every 21 days for the last 25 years, including vomiting, hardly ever able to do anything, but somehow managing to. I'm tired of the pain and the constant estrogen and progesterone battle like something from an Icelandic Viking saga.)

Regarding books like these, I'm all for any books about women's health, hormones etc. written by people who at least consulted medical professionals, I don't need a "You're still fuckable" book (they might try to wrap this as something else) or "How I beat being 40 with burning sage". I want proper language and terminology, what happens and why, it doesn't have to be a dry peer reviewed paper, but there's so many misinformation out there, it's dangerous. This doesn't apply to this particular book, because it's apparently half-memoir, half-manifesto* :rolleyes: and, more importantly, I haven't read it, so I wouldn't want to prejudge it.
Besides, is it Vichy who now have a cream with the word "menopause" in it? A marketing tool, like everything else, doesn't have anything to do with demystifying menopause or making that phase any easier for women. What are the supposed menopausal ingredients? It has a cooling effect? So does a fan.
Hi, at 51 I'm in the midst of perimenopause (the years leading up to menopause). Menopause itself is actually the point at which a woman hasn't had a period for 12 months. I can only speak for myself, as everyone experiences this stage of life differently, but I've experienced a number of things that just don't seem to be regularly discussed in connection with perimenopause and they've come as a bit of a shock to me - namely constant fatigue, brain fog, forgetfulness and bone and joint pain. I'm hoping that once I'm in proper menopause and my hormones rebalance all these things will settle and I can feel like "myself" again, at the moment I feel like a shadow of my former self. I was on HRT for 6 months or so and felt better but I developed severe high blood pressure so it's now off limits. Sometimes it sucks being a woman doesn't it! 😧😧😧

Reactions: 9
I’m 51 and if I get to April next year with no period, that’ll be “menopausal”. I’ve been on HRT for a few months & it’s definitely helped with my night sweats & hot flushes (which tbh should be renamed boiling tsunamis), but my migraines (which had been much better with a blood pressure med) have come back, though not as often. Tbh I’m on so many meds that I have no clue what makes what better or worse. And the doctors just blame meds or other conditions. But, I digress!

That whole “I’m not there yet” crap pisses me off - distancing herself from the dried-up, barren old crones that we are. Luv, you don’t look like the virile sex kitten you quite think you are. I wonder if they do fanny Botox?

• Haha
  • Heart
OK
Exactly. And you can't monetise the good old NHS and its properly tested drugs....but you can monetise private doctors and take MAAAASSSIVE cash from pharma companies for private prescriptions.

Except these private 'bio-identical hormones' are untested, and the British Menopause Society has already produced guidance on advertising them:

Yes. So called functional medical practitioners selling/"prescribing" the bio-identical substances (adaptogens) with no regulation or evidence, praying on the hope of those of us trying to stay flushed with youthful oestrogen.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.