Sali Hughes #8 The palpable absence of chill

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For a MLBB I found I can’t beat Chantecaille. Not sure if I’ve seen it on anything SH has touched as it is spendy in the extreme, but I buy one lipstick (1 everyday and I have 2 not everyday which have done me soooo long) and one tinted moisturiser a year from them so about what I’d have leaked on the 9 million things she’s shilling

Reactions: 1
'Can't live without' - I really dislike that sort of language. I think she'll find that she probably can...

Hope the woman who commented that she'd spent her weekly food budget on the products was joking. I'm as interested in beauty as the next person but it upsets me to think of women spending money they can't afford on stuff like this.
Some people posted here about serious debts they got themselves into. Obviously, you are responsible for your spending habits, but this constant shoveling new products (that are life-changing or you'd spend your last dime on it) down the public's throat like we're geese bred for foie gras has an impact. I'm sure that most of us have bought something completely over-hyped and overpriced. And little by little these things can escalate like anything else really, pick your diversion/poison.

Reactions: 10
For a MLBB I found I can’t beat Chantecaille. Not sure if I’ve seen it on anything SH has touched as it is spendy in the extreme, but I buy one lipstick (1 everyday and I have 2 not everyday which have done me soooo long) and one tinted moisturiser a year from them so about what I’d have leaked on the 9 million things she’s shilling
Which Chantecaille lippie? I bought the Lip Sheer in Helios, the one everyone raved about, and it's too shimmery for me

Which Chantecaille lippie? I bought the Lip Sheer in Helios, the one everyone raved about, and it's too shimmery for me
I have one in a beautiful silver case. Gorgeous texture, it's really moisturising. It would have been very expensive but I bought it from spacenk using up a reward, and also getting £10 off a certain spend. I love it though.

Reactions: 3
I have one in a beautiful silver case. Gorgeous texture, really moisturising. It would have been very expensive butbI bought it from spacenk using up a reward, and also getting £10 off a certain spend. I love it though.
Mine's in a silver case also. Very pretty. This conversation has reminded me that I used to love their Tiare fragrance in the 90s. I wonder if I'd still love it now?

Okey dokey, here's my (thankfully) short list:

Dior Glow Maximizer primer- utter shite. Made me look like I belonged on top of the Christmas tree with a branch shoved up my foo-foo.
Ester Lauder Pure Colour Envy lipstick in Intense Nude - love these lipsticks, but the colour wasn't great on me.
Not sure if Sali recommended this or if it was another "influencer", Nanoblur Instant Skin Perfector - made my foundation "pill", took it back for a refund.

There must be more, but the Dior product really sticks in my memory as being one of the worst makeup ptoducts I've ever bought.

With regards to CT, her products are (in my personal experience) extremely variable. I love her powder eyeliner pencils, her pressed powder and her lipsticks. I dislike her foundations, her powder eyeshadows and her stupid bloody "Magic" concealer, the worst concealer I have ever used. 😝😝😝

I've always found Bobbi Brown good for nude or MLBB shades.
Oh my god ... the magic concealer is tit. Pencils are ace ... the Bare Minerals concealer is really good

The silver case are the lippies, the gunmetal ones are the balmy type ones and a bit bleedy. I wear Narcissa (browny pinky nude) every day in life, and African violet (strong violets pink) for a bit of a bang. And I have one more even rarer one, which I can’t think of the colour. I’m quite pale but olivey, and dark auburn hair. Very awkward colouring. They’re 35 quid, so do go and match, but I’ve been through every lipstick and they don’t cake or dry you.

Reactions: 3
Some people posted here about serious debts they got themselves into. Obviously, you are responsible for your spending habits, but this constant shoveling new products (that are life-changing or you'd spend your last dime on it) down the public's throat like we're geese bred for foie gras has an impact. I'm sure that most of us have bought something completely over-hyped and overpriced. And little by little these things can escalate like anything else really, pick your diversion/poison.
Exactly. Obviously we are all responsible for how we spend our money. Obviously no one blames SH and other influencers directly. No one coming here ever said that. People just kept saying 'it was my fault' 'I'm stupid' 'I fell for it'. That is why people felt more shame. Because it was their own choice and therefore you just feel silly. Which is why we here all recognised it and felt compassion. Enabled and normalised by influencers. Obviously this is a point of view that is quite nuanced and I appreciate will just go over the heads of some people.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Also worth saying Chantecaille are a great brand for dry skin, but they have a bit too much slip all round for oily skinned people I’ve found. But very thankful there’s something out there for the saharaesque skinned of us. I spent much of the 90s and early 00s looking like emperor palpatine

• Haha
Reactions: 5
What’s an MLBB please?

Oh my god ... the magic concealer is tit. Pencils are ace ... the Bare Minerals concealer is really good
Agree. Love bare minerals concealer but I think my favourite is a sali rec, clarins instant. Huge as mount of product in great hygienic packaging. The sponge CT concealer was the most awful product I have ever used. Wayne Goss really rated it too.

Reactions: 2
Yes, why are so many people reporting back to her, when she's made it clear it upsets her?

• Sad
Reactions: 4
They dislike her more than we do.
You've got to wonder. I don't dislike her, I don't know her. What I don't like is some of her behaviour and the behaviour of her ilk of influencer in general. And I think it's important that it be open to scrutiny and criticism when influencer culture is so pervasive

Reactions: 11
And how come all these people skip the most frequent thing discussed here? The sweaters discussed were the ones every influencer wears and is making them look like a bunch of groupies of a boy band called 1970.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Also, yes, there's gossip and it can be a bit mean, as gossip tends to be. But again, there's the option to simply not expose yourself to it. To publicly take umbrage when you are guilty of worse yourself is just hypocritical, whatever way you turn it

It's not like we are taking to twitter or instagram with it. It's safely tucked away here, or was until attention was repeatedly drawn to it by SH herself.

And one more point: nowhere are her children mentioned in anything but the most respectful way. I really hate that she lied about that

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
And how come all these people skip the most frequent thing discussed here? The sweaters discussed were the ones every influencer wears and is making them look like a bunch of groupies of a boy band called 1970.
I wondered that too. The skilfull sidestepping of any comments about bullying, getting people the sack through a Twitter campaign, the 'coven'. And seriously if you are an influencer appearing regularly on IG why the duck are you so shaken about people commenting on your watch or tattoes? 1000s of people (with aliases but that is OK) telling you 'Omg your skin is amazing. You are so beautiful'. And then about three say 'have you seen her watch'. And that is what you focus on? Of course the Twitter tout will fail to mention the numerous amount of people on here who said 'actually I like her watch' and 'don't be so mean' (which they did). But that doesn't fit the narrative at all does it.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
I wondered that too. The skilfull sidestepping of any comments about bullying, getting people the sack through a Twitter campaign, the 'coven'. And seriously if you are an influencer appearing regularly on IG why the duck are you so shaken about people commenting on your watch or tattoes? 1000s of people (with aliases but that is OK) telling you 'Omg your skin is amazing. You are so beautiful'. And then about three say 'have you seen her watch'. And that is what you focus on? Of course the Twitter tout will fail to mention the numerous amount of people on here who said 'actually I like her watch' and 'don't be so mean' (which they did). But that doesn't fit the narrative at all does it.
👏 👏 👏 Well said, 100 times this

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.