Sali Hughes #8 The palpable absence of chill

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What we have here it seems is a very superior version of the Guardian readers' comments. Helpful suggestions and experience-sharing minus the 75-year olds who've only ever cleaned their face with a Brillo pad and the men (I always assumed) telling us off for our interest in beauty. Plus no-one's being silenced for critiquing the writing or questioning the writer's commercial relationship with a recommended brand.
Exactly. If these Instagram women have a tantrum every time a comment doesn’t rave about them then obviously people will go elsewhere. Here we are!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I was reading the MN thread about the MOD debacle and it was very interesting actually to see a sort of outsider view of both MOD and Tattle. One poster wrote about influencer culture in a way I'd tried to articulate but couldn't as well as they did. It was along the lines of how strange the rise of the influencer is, how they invite people into their lives and homes, and their family and children's lives. They tell you snippets about their day and how they are feeling. They want to make you feel like a friend and so when they tell you about a product they love, you trust them and possibly might buy it. Because they are so friendly and trustworthy. They get 100s of 1000s of strangers to do this who on a daily basis also tell them how much they love them, how amazing and pretty they are. Yet all this isn't enough for them. They have to obsess over the handful of people who are disillusioned with them and find somewhere to talk about it. Hence Mother of Daughters joining Tattle and other influencers making angry videos.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
I can't stop singing Gang of Four now because of Sali's twitchiness about being mistaken for a tourist.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Ah well good that SH has got the pesky Avon mention out of the way. Needn't mention that tit again for a few weeks.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I think lipstick queen has a big set of 'nudes' - so spacenk when its empty may be useful to try out the undertones that a computer screen may not pick up well (then find a cheaper / longerlasting dupe)

The nipple thing isn't a new idea, she just made it a lot about her. And why shouldn't a pale woman with brown areolas wear nudey-brown lipstick, ditto woc and nudey-pink? (My nips are each different colours) "Nude lip" is just an odd way of saying "the kind of no-makeup-makup look that men think they prefer for 'natural' girls (and the weird cultural undertones in that) rather than the concealer lips of the 00's.

Reactions: 2
I think lipstick queen has a big set of 'nudes' - so spacenk when its empty may be useful to try out the undertones that a computer screen may not pick up well (then find a cheaper / longerlasting dupe)

The nipple thing isn't a new idea, she just made it a lot about her. And why shouldn't a pale woman with brown areolas wear nudey-brown lipstick, ditto woc and nudey-pink? (My nips are each different colours) "Nude lip" is just an odd way of saying "the kind of no-makeup-makup look that men think they prefer for 'natural' girls (and the weird cultural undertones in that) rather than the concealer lips of the 00's.
Yes has she made a close study of nipples? How would you know otherwise? :sick:

Reactions: 1
I thought you match the shade to an entirely different part of your body - or so I learnt when I saw a rather odd Australian art house film Sleeping Beauty years ago.

As ballsy as SH considers herself I don’t reckon she’d be brave enough to write about labia colour matching in the guardian :ROFLMAO:

There’s also a great down under joke in there somewhere.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
I am very keen to try this but can only get it from the states, sadly. Anyone else had a go? Its vegan and cruelty free too.

View attachment 55703
You should be able to get it directly from Korea at Jolse.com - it is a great shop, never had a problem.

I bought a set of Lisa Eldridge lippies, breaking my ”2019 no buy” policy that I have been painfully sticking to. Eventually I just gave in. They look beautiful.

Also, did we just have a nude lipstick column without a Pillow Talk mention? Am I dreaming? I am in any case really over the column. Last week it was “the most alcohol containing toners in the market, albeit cheap and available” and this week is the most boring topic in makeup. Or maybe I have heartburn from drinking too much cava and I am grumpy.

• Haha
Yes has she made a close study of nipples? How would you know otherwise? :sick:
She of the bovine monoboob is secret honorary Professor of Tits, didn't you hear?

When I bought her first book it was because she had the vibe of a wise older sister re: make-up. Then, the SM rudeness, the compulsive fibs about using x product "for decades", that cringe interview with Gucci Westman, the self-righteousness, the shilling....

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
She of the bovine monoboob is secret honorary Professor of Tits, didn't you hear?

When I bought her first book it was because she had the vibe of a wise older sister re: make-up. Then, the SM rudeness, the compulsive fibs about using x product "for decades", that cringe interview with Gucci Westman, the self-righteousness, the shilling....
Your comment about you buying her book as SH seemed an older sister reminded me again why I was so disappointed with Feebee for her sneery attitude to people buying stuff they don't need. The influencer is so skilled and the tactics so insidious it isn't all about 'common sense' - it isn't all about intelligence. Influencers (obv not just SH) position themselves as your friend/sister/etc over years. SH even called her Guardian readers a 'wonderful community of women' (Even though almost all used an alias but hey ho) embracing the idea that we are sort of all in this together. Feebee is SH personal friend so possibly doesn't see the 'influencer'.

• Heart
I wonder if SH sees the irony yet of making a video and in it, amongst other things, expressing concern for the security and privacy of her family, then announcing to nearly 130k strangers when and where they are going to be on a certain day.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
that cringe interview with Gucci Westman, the self-righteousness, the shilling...
G-d, yes! She kept fiddling with stuff while Westman was talking, and then dropping it!!

Reminded me of the ITBW a black hairdresser/hairstylist. A lot of Sally’s craven followers criticised her for rearranging a couple of items when Sally was talking to the camera. Yet, when Westman is talking TO Sally, Sally’s fiddling with and dropping stuff all over the show and they said NOTHING.

I’ll be honest with you, I didn’t notice any of this hypocrisy (and racial microaggressions) from Sally & co because I trusted her so much, but it really upset my lovely wife (she’s African American). And now that I see it, I can’t un-see it and it makes me rage. And ashamed that I didn’t spot it myself when I absolutely should have.

• Sad
Yel said recently that Tattle take influencers privacy/security extremely seriously - more so than a lot of them seem to do.

Yel said recently that Tattle take influencers privacy/security extremely seriously - more so than a lot of them seem to do.
It’s a very slick and well run forum. Wait a second... could SH be suffering from this jealousy thing she’s always going on about? Because she failed at a forum of her own? Probably thought it would be easy, too.

No wonder she’s hinting that she knows Yel’s identity but is choosing not to release it, in staged twitter chats.

• Wow
She's great! I enjoy watching her as well as Harry Makes It Up who was also recommended here several times.

Reactions: 3
Another body part tip regarding lipstick .... it’s to test the colour on your finger tips (they are a similar colour to your lips and nips. You can then hold your fingers close to your face and voila!!

She's great! I enjoy watching her as well as Harry Makes It Up who was also recommended here several times.
Really really like Harry, calm with lovely tips and tricks. I’m not as stuck on her co presenter on the Full Coverage podcast but they’re quite funny together

Reactions: 1
Caroline's tutorials are excellent. Her whole personality is so likeable and relatable. Very warm and gets the best of people. I loved her on Glow Up.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.