Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Tesla's Ghost

VIP Member
For someone who remembers playing with her umbilical cord, she sure is quick to forget relentlessly mocking DOP on Twitter (among other things).

• Haha
Reactions: 22

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Some people posted here about serious debts they got themselves into. Obviously, you are responsible for your spending habits, but this constant shoveling new products (that are life-changing or you'd spend your last dime on it) down the public's throat like we're geese bred for foie gras has an impact. I'm sure that most of us have bought something completely over-hyped and overpriced. And little by little these things can escalate like anything else really, pick your diversion/poison.
Exactly. Obviously we are all responsible for how we spend our money. Obviously no one blames SH and other influencers directly. No one coming here ever said that. People just kept saying 'it was my fault' 'I'm stupid' 'I fell for it'. That is why people felt more shame. Because it was their own choice and therefore you just feel silly. Which is why we here all recognised it and felt compassion. Enabled and normalised by influencers. Obviously this is a point of view that is quite nuanced and I appreciate will just go over the heads of some people.

• Heart
Reactions: 21

melfish

VIP Member
It pisses me off that SH makes out like she's some heavy-hitting journo when what she actually does - what all influencers do - is make women feel "less than" or like they're not trying hard enough or, heaven forbid, showing signs of ageing. They offer up a fix, which involves liberating oneself from large amounts of cash for problems that mostly are just an invention of a parasitic industry. It's anti-feminism. Add on top, the repeated takedowns of other women, the general rudeness to non-bluetickers, while appointing yourself as an arbiter of manners ... It's all so sordid and hypocritical and grasping. I dunno how she sleeps at night. But we are the sad ones for taking issue with it :rolleyes:

• Heart
Reactions: 21

Aude

VIP Member
One thing I remember from the Friday video and which is mentioned again today on Twitter is something to the effect of people here being 'stupid and clumsy' and easy to identify.

Personally, I've never made any particular attempt to hide my identity. Why should I? There's nothing I've said on this forum that I wouldn't say to SH in person. I'd give some thought to how best to phrase it to get my point across but I stand by the content.

• Heart
Reactions: 20

zcfthc5

Chatty Member
Why does one guardian writer message another guardian writer about doing a guardian article together over a public tweet? Surely they have their own private channels and emails, or do they just want the public bravado against 'trolls'?

• Haha

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
I am at Austrian-weight-loss-clinic levels of rage that she’s done that.

Whoever she’s contacted - I’m here for you, please reach out if you need to and... you’ve done NOTHING wrong.

Batten down the catflaps all - SH is panicking, big time.

• Haha
  • Heart

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
The Lauren Luke episode is a good example of how media works. SH could openly pitch for the column and deride LL on twitter and encourage a pile on because Lauren isn’t connected in the way many are in the industry. Lauren was a wildebeest Sali could first wound then successfully cleave from the herd. No chance of anyone doing that to, for example, India Knight what with step-father being Chair of The Times (or whatever his lofty position is).

It also goes a long way to explain these ‘friendships’ of SH with the likes of IK, CM, Lauren Laverne, Lucy Mangan etc. Not saying they don’t get along but let’s face it, it’s another way of shoring up your position and insulating yourself from attack. The video on That Friday was a way of rallying the troops to test the loyalty of that wider network, it was good on the day but I don’t think it’s worked out as it was supposed to.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 19

billybob

No filter is such a twatish hash tag anyway, regardless of your job/ tweakment status. No, I really am this beautiful!

• Haha
  • Heart

Tesla's Ghost

VIP Member
I am happy to report that there is a correlation between unfollowing influencers like her and feeling much better and happier and more relaxed.

• Haha

Aude

VIP Member
I have no doubt at all that she’s feeling awful about this place at the moment, but the reason for that is that SHE (nobody else) did this to herself
Yes - and I know that I get most cross/upset when I'm the one who's screwed up.

I do think she has to find a way of making peace with this place. A couple of suggestions...

The easiest option. Don't read here, ask friends/family not to read here and certainly not to report back with any gossipy titbits, don't try to track down and make contact with members, don't engage in any public or social media commentary on it. Apart from anything else, that would help it to run out of steam.

The most useful option. Ask an independent person (i.e. not someone who's been egging her on) (possibly the new agent?) to go through the threads and pick out useful feedback and learning points. SH has probably never been part of the corporate world where customer feedback and complaints are valued as a way of improving services and failures are regarded as useful learning opportunities. Yes there's gossip and piss-taking here, but there's also insight into the ways in which she has been alienating a section of her readers/followers and tarnishing her brand.

• Heart

Tesla's Ghost

VIP Member
How many of us did she bring to this forum? I was a casual follower and had no idea about DOP, LL, dilutes, writer's retreats, salinistas and so on. No one can tell me that what we say here is remotely comparable to her platform (however peripheral). Who did we get fired? Do we have a hashtag for her on Twitter? If I say I think her sweater is fugly, that's on me and if I make a bitchy remark on her declining column, again, says more about me than her. But, I have read harsher reviews of children's books than what is usually written here. Messaging women on FB, really? FYAYB!

• Heart
  • Haha

Jugglegirl

Sali takes to Twitter to advertise her mothering props. People respond by suggesting nice places to eat in Brighton. She tweets snippily that she knows all the places to eat because she’s a native (shut up plebs) .. a classic Sali episode. Why not just go out with the kid without telling the internet?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I couldn't care less about her appearance, she looks fine to me. I'm here because I despise bullies, hypocrites and cowards, especially ones who have power, privilege & status. I see a power imbalance or a situation that feels wrong or unfair and I feel like I want to restore the balance. Frankly I'm not bothered about being identifiable because I've nothing to hide. Don't know about SH, but my integrity's intact!

• Heart

MesaLoca

Hi all, another lurker since Freaky Friday here.

I used to read Sali's Guardian column when it first started but it got very dull. She really annoyed me with a recommendation for squalane cleanser which she'd apparently been using for decades as her go-to cleanser. Someone BTL called her out that she'd *never* mentioned using it before in any of her columns or SM and this made me very skeptical about anything Sali says.

It turns out squalane cleanser is perfect for my skin and I wish I'd known about it decades ago!

Her attitude on SM makes me cringe - she comes across as insecure and wannabe cool and seems to adore belittling people. So I mostly follow her for the entertainment value in that, and when she did that video I sat in the car LOLing at the daft dramatics of it all. Messaging forum members takes it all to a different level though, the woman is unhinged.

• Heart
  • Haha
It's so telling how SH responded to the DOP criticism, excusing herself entirely from blame by saying she was acting on someone else's bad information. Of course it's somebody else's fault, not Sali's. I literally don't think I've ever seen her admit fault for anything online. To put that in perspective, most of us have grown up/been online for 20 years, and in that time I'll freely admit I've been corrected and apologised in online exchanges where it's been due. But somehow Sali is beyond reproach, always on the defensive, #bornsnippy, taking the superior position every time. To be wrong would be impossible. Critics are beefy freaks. The cumulative effect of this behaviour over the years leads to mistrust, and I think that's what these threads are. People are onto it.

• Heart
  • Haha