Sali Hughes #28 See thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I mentioned a Q and A Sali did on the forum. Just logged in a few minutes ago and have copied some of the comments here. It was called Open Make Up Surgery

Poster: No update for 6 days on the blog and no response to any of the posted questions or indication about when there might be some answers. Is it just me who finds this frustrating and discouraging?

Poster 2: it's not a live Q&A session.

Hughes is a really busy woman - I'm just grateful we have an opportunity to have a beauty pro of her knowledge and experience offer to help fifty of us - at no cost apart from that of her own valuable time.

Just be patient, I don't think instant gratification is the name of the game here. To use words like "frustrating and discouraging" seems rather churlish and unfair, IMO

SH:
Hi
I always said within the week. My intention was always to do it yesterday as I was in America all week. Unfortunately I arrived home early yesterday morning and was floored by the most horrific jetlag. I've never had it before and it's been awful. I couldn't even see the screen straight to type. I had already cleared today to do it.
Likewise, I have not updated the home page because I was in the States making content for it. I'm a one woman operation and was on a different timezone so couldn't do both. This is my job but sometimes certain parts of it - especially when time sensitive - have to take priority over others and I have to make that call. It will be worth it, I believe.
I'm sorry to those who are frustrated and discouraged that I'm a day late. I will issue you with a full refund. Oh wait.

Poster 3: Errr, yes. I suspect it is. The rest of us appreciate getting independent expert advice for nothing.
Jesus that forum was an unpleasant place to be. Why did I spend so much time there? I guess just because I was going through a difficult time in my life, had a lot of mental health problems and somehow it functioned like a cult where you were gaslit into thinking that if you didn't sign up to their orthodoxies there was something wrong with you. And as someone said a few pages back, while I like a 'spendy treat' 🤮 as much as anyone, the level of over consumption was grotesque.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 12
It was almost a competion to see who could have the most blushers or lipsticks. Looking back it makes me cringe. I wasted so much money on stuff over the years

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I'd actually looked at that one but was a little scared of it being 7% when I've previously only used 5%. Is it much stronger? Also, it's €27 in Spain when it's £6.80 in the UK. I have no idea why toiletries and cosmetics are so much more expensive here! The lactic acid is a more reasonable price but has hyaluronic acid which I've tried to avoid as I never found it effective and sometimes mildly aggravating. I assumed it was just me until some people here posted links about how it can cause reactions (contrary to Sali swearing that it's fine for absolutely everyone everyone.) I've switched back to products with glycerine and found them much better. The mandelic acid is also reasonably priced here but also contains HA. I realise that as prices are generally higher here I may have to pay more than I did in the UK, but paying three times the price for the same product is annoying, especially as my financial situation is a little precarious due to Covid.

I've been thinking about Inkey List. Has anyone tried any of their acids?

Edited to add: Beauty Bay appears to have it in stock for €8.75. The bottle looks a little different but I assume it's legit. In which case, is the 7% really a big step up from 5% or will it likely not make much difference? I'm wary of overdoing it.
The Inkey List PHA toner is lovely. Gives a nice gentle exfoliation, and won’t break the bank - at least not in the UK! Sounds as though prices vary massively over there.

Re Sali’s social media responses, I don’t know why she doesn’t get an intern to handle stuff like that for a couple of hours a day. They could be just as unhelpful but do it in a nice friendly way eg

‘Hi lovely! Yes you’ll find dozens of eye cream recommendations in my past guardian columns. 🥰 I’m afraid I can’t recommend one in particular as no one is paying me for this right now.’

There, that wasn’t hard, was it!
That’s a blast from the past... it’s a long time since I’ve seen Sali call anyone a “lovely”.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
The Inkey List PHA toner is lovely. Gives a nice gentle exfoliation, and won’t break the bank - at least not in the UK! Sounds as though prices vary massively over there.
I really want to try it, and it's not expensive here, but it does appear to be out of stock literally everywhere. I've signed up for an email notification when it's back in stock. Hope it hasn't been discontinued!

Reactions: 1
I like the Superdrug toner too (and loads of other things from the Superdrug range, it's such a bargain) and I've liked the Ordinary skincare I've had. Quite like their foundation and concealer too for the price.

Made the grave error today of allowing myself to be influenced. Someone slap me 😭 I'm having a world-recording breaking miscarriage that's been going on for months and I felt so sorry for myself after my latest hospital trip this morning. My favourite Bobbi Brown tinted moisturiser has just run out and I watched Cher Webb's reel this morning with a L'oreal thing that looked similar. It's only 10.99 so much cheaper that the Bobbi one and I was miserable so I popped into Superdrug on my way home to get some. Decided to get the same shade as Cher even though she looks like she's waaaay fairer than me because I prefer a lighter base that I can warm up. It was 3 for 2 so stupid me also bought another L'oreal moisturiser thing that looked similar and (THANK GOD my favourite Maybelline Lash Sensational oil mascara). Came home to wash my face and try it out, get some glow back to my sad, grey, iron-deficient pallor and I am bright orange. Literally, orange. I've been influenced to glow like a fecking oompa loompa. I think the only thing that will save me is to get a 1million mega watt ring light and take a selfie, because that way NOBODY CAN ACTUALLY TELL WHAT COLOUR IT IS OR WHAT IT REALLY LOOKS LIKE 😭
Been on my mind since I read your post. Just to say I’m so sorry and hope things, all things, will get better. Love from a stranger!
I bought some Laura M tinted moisturiser and it was so orange (think might have seen S do a review but maybe I got the wrong shade 😏). So annoying isn’t it.

Reactions: 2
Sending lots of love @Blahblahbuzzy ❤

Seeing that forum post - I remember she used to make everyone feel guilty all the time going on about how she did it all for free. Like so what if she'd said she would do something and hadn't done it? We should have been grateful for her crumbs of wisdom.

Reactions: 4
Click on the thing that looks like a floppy disk just before the settings icon. You can "delete draft" there
sorry - there is no floppy disk icon. Look!

E9F06878-FE39-47CA-82A6-01DA8A51F286.jpeg

Seeing that forum post - I remember she used to make everyone feel guilty all the time going on about how she did it all for free. Like so what if she'd said she would do something and hadn't done it? We should have been grateful for her crumbs of wisdom.
She wasn’t doing it for free though, was she? She was making an income from the advertising revenue she got from us visiting the damn place!

(ETA: I always used my Ad-Blocker and felt not one shred of guilt about it! 🤣)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7

Especially as most of her advice was either tit or totally obvious. The amount of things that were supposedly amazing, patented Sali tips 'the Hughes concealer sandwich!' that were just how I had always applied my makeup and assumed most other people did too, but her acolytes seemed to think she was Tim Berners-Lee or something.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
It was almost a competion to see who could have the most blushers or lipsticks. Looking back it makes me cringe. I wasted so much money on stuff over the years
And the insistence that Tom Ford was the last word in lipsticks. He really isn’t nor was he back then!

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.