Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Originalnuttah

I’m not too bothered about what SH says about this place. What’s been fascinating though is that she has been able to ride on wave of oh-so-easy-to-prove misinformation about her threads on Tattle and even an institution as the bbc didn’t bother to do basic fact checks before commissioning the documentary. I really want to know why she had to use the word ‘dragging’ for the film and am I right in thinking she never mentions the website’s name in it?
I’d have expected that more followers who saw her Friday crying shit show lastSeptember would have bothered to come over and check for themselves. Surely that’s the natural thing to do? That’s what most of us did, didn’t we? Came over, checked, realised she’s talking bollocks and also found some funny and engaging people to hang out with. Despite all sources of information we have at our disposal, it’s staggering how easy misinformation spreads.

• Heart
Reactions: 30

Corbyn'sCat

Chatty Member
Ironically, Sali has directed a lot of traffic this way (myself included) than anyone else. Welcome to all the new rats!
Indeed.

Has anyone seen poor Dawn Butler's Facebook posts today? She's had racially-motivated death threats through the post, telling her that her next move will see her in the mortician's parlour. I know it's not quite as traumatic as people speculating on your botox but I still feel terribly for Dawn.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 29

Veronicaaa

VIP Member
Someone (an author / journalist) is trying to reasonably engage with her on twitter right now to offer a different perspective. Sali's getting defensive and shutting it down completely. She really is unable to see any other side to this. "Fine to disagree silently", she says. Well thanks, Sali, for being the self-appointed gatekeeper of disagreement.

• Angry
  • Haha

NOID-phal

VIP Member
A lot of the blue tick types are genuinely horrified that the general public have opinions they don't approve of, and are allowed via various forms of social media, to express them.

• Haha

Aude

VIP Member
I've been on forums for years and this is the most civilised and fun I've come across. I love Tattle. People go to online forums for a sense of community, not just to "drag" influencers.
Absolutely they do - and different types of interaction on social media suit different types of temperament and life circumstances. I've never wanted to share my personal life via Facebook or Instagram or get involved in the cut and thrust of Twitter, but a discussion forum about things that interest me that don't interest anyone else in my life suits me well. I like the fact that I can dip in and out of it. There's no pressure to respond quickly, or at all. I enjoy the low-level (but extremely high quality!) companionship.

There's another thread I read here but don't contribute to involving about half a dozen bright funny women. They've said a few times something like 'I couldn't have got through lockdown without you...'. And there's been a lot of talk generally about the impact of social isolation and loneliness during lockdown. I think it's possible that discussion forums have served a great purpose these past months when people's lives and opportunities for social interaction have been so curtailed.

Even from the perspective of the people who are talked about here... Isn't it, well, helpful that there's a place where the 'weirdos/arseholes/sewer rats' can have a quiet talk between themselves? Would SH really prefer to have us expressing our concerns in her much more widely viewed IG and Twitter feeds? Does she really want us to go through the official complaints procedures - so, potentially, complaining to the Guardian, the BBC, the Advertising Standards Authority, HMRC, companies with which she has a commercial relationship - rather than get it off our chest here?

I think she might think that the alternatives are a) we talk here or b) we shut up. They're not. The alternatives are a) we talk here or b) we talk elsewhere. I can't think how to say that in a way that doesn't sound sort of threatening - but I do know that if people are disgruntled it will be expressed in some way. It could be that Tattle is the least bad option.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Sadeeiep

I've been reading here for a while but never contributed being the lurker I am. I find the way Sali has reacted extraordinary. It boils down to someone who's a bit bitchy and catty being annoyed that others are a bit bitchy and catty about her. Part and parcel of celebrity culture. I'm worried the entitlement some people have with social media to silence anything they don't like the sound of and the effects that will have. I can see why Sali is annoyed as she want's to project this whiter than white person always doing good but this isn't true. So she gets angry with people talking uncomfortable truths. I knew that a coupl of days after the documentary she would be making a song and dance of her charity work. She's timed it all deliberately. I'm not saying the charity work is bad as of course it is, but it's also a tool to boost her that she benefits greatly from and is always mention along side any of her as if to shout shes a good person beyond reproach. I find it all rather amusing. But shame on beeb for green lighting it all.

• Heart
Reactions: 28

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Her BBC article was hysterical. Apparently the troll who was happy to meet with her (yeah ok hun) was so apologetic and contrite because she was just projecting her own happiness onto saintly Sal.

Ironically, Sali has directed a lot of traffic this way (myself included) than anyone else. Welcome to all the new rats!
Also remarkable how the "troll" said exactly what Sali wanted to hear. Definitely a real person and not a work of fiction. Definitely.

If the "troll" had said something insightful like "actually, we were all just disillusioned fans who were sick of you selling expensive skincare items while being disingenuous about botox" or similar, it might have been believable. Also, apparently the troll posted up until Sali's Freaky Friday video and then stopped. What could the troll have said that was that terrible, so terrible that she broke down in tears? The threads were pretty quiet back then and I don't remember anything really bad

• Heart

Ellabella

VIP Member
So Becky found Tattle after googling "Sali Hughes and a cosmetic procedure"? I find it hilarious that the word 'botox' is not allowed to be mentioned out loud, trying to keep that one on the lowdown Sali 😂

• Haha

Badabing101

VIP Member
As I get very twitchy before the end of a thread ... usually about 43 pages in, I’m making a suggestion very early on for a new thread title 😂.
I seriously find it very stressful... have no idea why.

Sali Hughes : Pretty one sided ‘What do you say?’

Not sure who said it (apart from the email writer). Still not listened to the show and I’m not planning to, just sounds like complete drivel.

• Haha
  • Heart

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
I was inadvertently brought here by way of the R4 thing. I read the limegoss piece and was astounded by how well thought out and sensible it was. The internet is usually so binary and reductive. So refreshing to find well researched and thoughtful musings! And now @bloke has turned up and started doing a kind of virtual interview.
Amazing. Enjoying reading these threads. Looking forward to further “hung by own petard” bombshells, the hubby nanny revelation has me in hysterics. This could only be better if I had any interest in makeup.

• Haha
  • Heart

torontoon

Chatty Member
I'm more of a lurker than a poster (but I am guilty of leaving multiple tabs open while I'm working on the other laptop/leaving the sewer, so may be partly held to account for the 16+ hours spent by users here). I don't think I ever mentioned it, but it was Sali's initial rant that drew me to this site. I only had a passing knowledge of her then and scrolled through many a thread trying to find out what it was this woman was doing that incited such vitriol.

It's all been covered before, so it's redundant to point out what the issues are with Sali. I never explicitly trusted her word as gospel, but did take her words with a grain of truth. I know better now, and it's not only because of this site. It's also because of her own words. A quick skim through her Twitter feed alone shows the unabashed self-pitying and woe-is-me attitude we're all now familiar with.

I'll sign off by saying that I'm quite fond of rats and have no issues being likened to one. There's even a temple in India that worships them.

• Haha

lalalanded

VIP Member
Don't forget Jess Philips sorted out the passport for Sali's relative - Caitlin Moran tweeted to say something along the lines of 'can anyone help my friend who needs a passport renewed in a hurry?', Jess jumped to it. Great use of an MP's time.
Jess Phillips is an absolute shit. All she wants is fame and to be a media luvvie. I wish she'd get the hell out of the Labour Party - she does sod all as an MP and just wants to further her media career by sidling up to Murdoch and writing books that end up in the bargain bin. After her hysterically funny attempt at being Labour Party leader she's actually gone quiet. But the likes of Moran, Suzanne Moore etc think the sun shines out of her arse because she shouts a lot.

• Heart
Reactions: 27

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
And isn't it convenient how she left out the "mind blowing" stuff. If Becky is real, should she really be playing back the full conversation to her mates for shits and giggles? No journalistic integrity.

Also, Becky apologised, allowed Sali to flagellate her and broke down in tears yet Sali is still baying for her blood. What exactly could she have said that's so terrible?

• Angry
  • Heart

Simplemind

Surely it must be against BBC guidelines to play recordings meant for broadcast to your friends? Can you imagine if a BBC presenter recorded a politician or public figure and then took it home and shared the unedited/unbroadcast version with people? WTF?!

Edited to say I don’t work in the media but do you not have to sign something? Like Becky would sign saying I agree to this content used for this programme only type thing?
The person was effectively participating in research for the documentary. They should have been asked for their permission to record the conversation. Then the recording should be treated as confidential, only used for the purpose it was collected for and then deleted. It is totally unethical to share it with anybody and probably a breach of GDPR. And discussing it on a public platform is also unethical. Ok, the woman pissed Sali off big time but if she considers herself a professional journalist then she should abide by the privacy laws and have some respect for the contributors to her piece. She should probably also have her own privacy statement too. Totally not on.

Aude

VIP Member
I appreciate your efforts 👏
It feels important to me. I know it's widely said that we're living in a 'post truth' world - where things are what anybody says they are rather than what they actually are - and I know there are much more important examples to be concerned about but this feels close to home.

Like many people here, I read and followed SH for years. I wouldn't have said I was a fan - I'm too old for that - but I could definitely relate to her. I'd have thought our politics and values were pretty similar, I too love Nora Ephron, saw The Smiths on their last tour, can quote chunks of dialogue from Trading Places (though try not to) and probably agreed with her POV more than I disagreed.

That's why I was so affected by the misrepresentation in her video - that it was by someone like me, not by someone I didn't recognise. If it had been by the young influencer she talks to in the R4 programme I imagine I'd have shrugged it off as the action of someone who lives in a completely different world from me.

I've also always been a supporter of the BBC and am shocked that they put this out.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Yel

Chatty Member
I've been given the ok to post the email from the producer, we all decided in the mods forum it was clearly going to be one sided and biased so all it deserved is the bog standard reply also pasted below.

The highlight of the show was Sali virtually spitting as she read a small part of the tattle statement 💦 😂

--------
Dear Admin

I work for a programme called File on 4 on Radio 4. We are looking at the issue of internet trolling and online abuse. The programme is due to be broadcast on October 6.

The programme will examine issues such as the impact on victims; the criminal and civil laws in this area and the proposed Online Harms Bill.

As a part of the programme, we will be examining web forums such as Tattle Life. We would like your response to the following points, either by way of an interview or, if not, a written response by 12 noon on Tuesday 29 September. If you are agreeable to an interview, please contact me to arrange this.
  • A psychologist who researches cyber harassment has told us she believes that individuals who are the subjects of threads on Tattle Life are being victimised. What is Tattle Life doing to stop individuals being victimised?
  • Your terms and conditions say: “Keep it on tattle, and don't encourage any behaviour that could be seen as harassment.” Legal experts have told us that because the threads on Tattle Life focus on individuals for extended periods of time, this could lead to harassment. They say the volume of content about those individuals is likely to constitute harassment. They say harassment does not have to involve the sending of direct messages to someone. If that person is likely to be aware of what is being said, that is sufficient. Will you change the format of Tattle Life to take account of this?
  • Your terms and conditions state there should be “No abusive or hateful messages.” We have spoken to a psychologist who researches cyber harassment. They say some of the messages on the site may constitute hate crime as they are attacking so called protected characteristics such as race, sexual orientation, identity and disability. What steps will you take to prevent this?
  • Emotional harm and distress is caused to many of the subjects of threads on the site and you must be aware of this. Do you give any consideration to the emotional impact the site has on these people? A legal expert has told us that in knowingly causing distress and harm, you may be acting against the law? What steps will you take to address?
  • We have been told the site fails to respond to complaints and false allegations are not taken down. What do you say?
  • We have been told that if someone posts on Tattle Life to refute an allegation, or if someone posts to offer support to the subject of a thread, they are often removed from the site and their IP address blocked. This means there is limited form of redress for people and little balance on the threads. A legal expert has told us that if the site is therefore editorialising content, it could be viewed as a publisher rather than a neutral website. What do you say?
  • We have been told that the administrators of Tattle Life regularly delete posts while claiming to users that this never happens. This causes considerable confusion and serves to amplify abuse against victims. What do you say?
  • We have been told that when threads about people slow or quieten, Tattle Life admins attempt to revive and quicken them again, by posting criticism themselves. What do you say?
Please contact me if you have any questions.

Regards

Paul Grant
Producer
Radio Current Affairs
BBC News

-----------

Hello,

Tattle life has a zero tolerance policy towards content that is hateful, abusive, threatening and we take the privacy of social media influencers far more seriously than they do themselves in many cases. We're far more stringent with our rules and moderation than any of the big social media companies on our moderated forum. https://tattle.life/help/terms/

We allow commentary, critique and praise of people that choose to monetize their personal life as a business and release it into the public domain. Like all social media sites anyone can join and post a comment and we encourage people to report any that overstep the line as we take all reports very seriously. People that come to post abusive or hateful content are banned. https://tattle.life/threads/bullying-influencers.2088/

Tattle is actively campaigning for more rules in the world of social media influencing to benefit social media influencers, children monetized by their parents on social media and members of the public. https://limegoss.com/tattles-law/

Regards

Helen

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

Sheeeet

Chatty Member
It’s so twee, like emergency Bruce (whenever it looked like it might kick off, usually about sunscreen, someone would post a photo of a shirtless, younger Bruce Springsteen)
This is the only shirtless Bruce I'm interested in. Am I right, girls?

047ForsythDM_228x320.jpg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 26