Sali Hughes #2 Pretty Dishonest

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My thoughts about Sali chime with so many of you. I initially loved her guardian column, and valued her opinion. I joined gtl, but I'm not really a participating member, a definite lurker on groups. I loved the community that emerged from it and the forum, then after some reason, I spent time away from it, and it seemed to have changed. Major voices were gone, and it seemed to be more a place where the chief witch whispered about those who had annoyed her. On Instagram, the reality of Sali as a unassailable, truly impartial "trier-outer" of things for us, the humble public, seems to fracture. A gilded, gifted, life-for-sale emerged, and her voice was no longer one I trusted. I read a post on Instagram a few weeks ago, and I though "she's a bleeping mean girl chief"... Then I found this thread and its preceding one. What relief, I'm not alone! And, I love the new beauty thread you've set up. I still on gtl, not the forum, and I still read sali's stuff, but it's like I'm willing her to live up to what she used to pretend to be. Journalist my arse.

Reactions: 13
I’m still laughing at the “us authors” line from her Judith Kerr post. Extraordinary level of delusion/ lack of self-awareness. Also given that post she did about her “daddy”, featuring him working abroad in some kind of colonial safari outfit, and her mother’s predilection for designer gear & perfume, and being in London “on business” - it’s almost as though her poverty-stricken blue-collar background is total bollocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15
My thoughts about Sali chime with so many of you. I initially loved her guardian column, and valued her opinion. I joined gtl, but I'm not really a participating member, a definite lurker on groups. I loved the community that emerged from it and the forum, then after some reason, I spent time away from it, and it seemed to have changed. Major voices were gone, and it seemed to be more a place where the chief witch whispered about those who had annoyed her. On Instagram, the reality of Sali as a unassailable, truly impartial "trier-outer" of things for us, the humble public, seems to fracture. A gilded, gifted, life-for-sale emerged, and her voice was no longer one I trusted. I read a post on Instagram a few weeks ago, and I though "she's a bleeping mean girl chief"... Then I found this thread and its preceding one. What relief, I'm not alone! And, I love the new beauty thread you've set up. I still on gtl, not the forum, and I still read sali's stuff, but it's like I'm willing her to live up to what she used to pretend to be. Journalist my arse.
Yes this thread was my introduction to Tattle too! I thought I was the only one who was getting increasing irritated with SH and the fault must lie with my (admitted) irritability with a lot of 'influencers'. The chief witch bit on GTL was so true. I remember once someone said they didn't like Caitlin 'Mad me' Moran's book How to be a Woman and Sali kicked her off the group ranting about 'it's my effing group how dare you criticise my best friend it boils my piss etc etc' while her minions (Fi and sidekick Lauren no doubt) joined in the Greek chorus. Charming.

Reactions: 6
Criticism doesn’t go one way, that’s the nature of it, as anyone with a semblance of education would understand. And leaving education early doesn’t disqualify you from having to realise that - lots of people go back to education later when they get more financially comfortable. It’s called Open University, I know women who’ve done it when they were at home with kids. I don’t think she ever would though - too scared of being challenged and having to use reasoned argument to defend her points of view, as opposed to “HOW DARE YOU!” and “BIN PEOPLE!”. I don’t understand how social services didn’t follow up when she disappeared from the school register aged 15 tbh, it was the 1990s, not the 1890s. So many stories, so many holes.

Last edited:
Criticism doesn’t go one way, that’s the nature of it, as anyone with a semblance of education would understand.
She doesn't seem to rate education much. When she was interviewing Lily Allen who had looked into access courses to then study midwifery, she batted it away "Oh bless you, as if they'd make you take an access course." It's a medical degree not a creative writing degree, you can't pick it up on a photoshoot. Things seem to work differently in Sali's world. (Lily 'we were so hard up' Allen' had no GCSE's despite a private education at Bedales)

I joined GTL in the early days and really rated Sali. I became more savvy with skincare and met some incredible women. I've become massively disillusioned since the move to the forum. Sali always called out celebs who denied having childcare or going on diets because those lies make other women feel inadequate, but that's exactly what's she's doing with her surgery.

I had professional photos taken a while ago and was shocked by how lined my face is. I'm a few years younger than Sali and it made me feel like tit to see her tight face on Instagram. I wouldn't mind if she was honest, but she's pretending it's good genes and £80 serum which is bollocks.

Reactions: 9
Sali is back in full harddoneby mode on Twitter. She was defending on Breakfast TV apparently these 'back to school makeup lessons' for children. People taking offence at her describing children as non-binary and she naturally gets all shouty and accuses them of patronising her. No one has pointed out the obvious yet - that of course she would be behind any movement that encourages people to spend money on makeup.
Interestingly (re comments about her mother above) she says how she always wore makeup when young in her home and her parents were incredibly relaxed and non judgemental about it.

I can't be assed to even read about back to school make up - I wasn't even allowed to wear clear mascara to school when I was 16. Make up on kids outside the house was a big NO from Ma Dolores - and she thought it was common to allow it :D

Edit - except now obviously I have. Oh she's got herself in a world of hot water there hasn't she - by trying to be The Most Woke but then accusing those of challenging her of being the woke-aholics. Hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1
I can't be assed to even read about back to school make up - I wasn't even allowed to wear clear mascara to school when I was 16. Make up on kids outside the house was a big NO from Ma Dolores - and she thought it was common to allow it :D
Same here. When young I had zero interest in it anyway. Barely washed tbf. Sali says wearing makeup when young never harmed her. Um. I'd say a slavish devotion to it and inability accept aging without lying might be a bit odd.

• Haha
She says she was jailbait!

Full of tit as usual, choosing the narrative that suits her campaign of the day.

She has said of herself, in another context, that she was proper jailbait. I can't recall where - maybe an age old article in Red or something?

Yes she did say that, I’ve read it too. She sounds really proud of it, like she thinks running away with a pweirdo makes her really edgy - it’s so fucked up. No admission that maybe her dad’s awful behaviour could have damaged her, as well as her mum’s.

Right? - She was with a peodophile, and her father did the dirty on her mother and kick started a sorry chain of events which her Mum, in her writing, has taken the majority of the cop for. For someone so pro women and anti male privilege it's an interesting take.

Plus I think being a small child and left in the car for hours and hours is outright neglect, not borderline neglect? So that's a strange take too - from someone so so strident and about what's what.

For about one second I was astonished that she was defending those makeup lessons, but we can't upset MAC and JL, can we, or the gravy train might stop. Jesus wept. Talk about having your morals on sale to the highest bidder.

I remember the jailbait comment too.

In fact, here it is: https://www.dumbofeather.com/conversations/sali-hughes-pretty-honest/
Omg that article! She basically describes how she and Caitlin (I presume she is The Times Columnist) and others ganged up on Lauren Luke and got her the sack. She is vile - 'I innocently said on Twitter omg the state of The Guardian beauty page'. Shame on the Guardian for pandering to her. And then waffles on about how she loves women?!?!? Lauren Luke always came across as a very gentle soul. And genuinely nice.
And later she says that celebrities should always declare if they've had work done as it is unfair on other women not to. The hypocrisy is beyond belief.
Her idea after Pretty Honest was to write an honest book about fashion. Thank god that never happened. She could write a whole book about red lipstick though as it is so empowering and men are afraid of it. Is it? And are they really Sali?
Argh that whole article sums up the reasons I find her so ghastly now.

Reactions: 3
Sali is as hard faced and ambitious as anyone but she also has a massive chip on her shoulder.

She’ll trample over anyone ( fellow woman Lauren Luke) to get what she wants and the worst thing about her is her know it all , I know better than anyone attitude.

That interview posted ^ was very revealing .

Reactions: 2
I remember her being super sniffy about a fellow beauty person taking money form a major company, that of course she'd been offered many such opportunities, and while the money would be great, it wasn't worth compromising herself: she - Sali- being so pure and impartial. Not long after, Lisa Eldridge became lancome's beauty director. Then! To find out she's been sniffing out all the dosh all along, while having this facade, like she's the civil service of beauty. I actually feel so duped by her. Now, an Avon podcast 2 days ago... Look! Avon in her new favs Instagram post... Cowshed too... Just after her freebie Spa trip... Fishy... 🤔 🐠 🐠

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.