Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
D

Deleted member 14542

Oh how funny her super alternative indie pal Lozza is collaborating and advertising Boden.

Laverne finally caved to her painfully white middle class Mom on the run essence then 😆love. it.

Reactions: 9

GTL Old-Timer

VIP Member
Can I just say that this thread (and its predecessor) are giving me LIFE!!!

As my name would suggest, I was one of the first members of GTL facebook group: read her "colin" from the beginning, and joined her FB group in the second week in November 2011. It was a big part of my life and I made some amazing friends (with whom I am still very much in contact). However, I became so disillusioned by Sali and her faux-feminism/progressivism (esp on race - it took her FIVE FUCKING YEARS to have a person of colour on the ITB vids FFS!!) that I stopped frequenting the forum. (As someone else rightly pointed out, she only set that up to profit from the community that has grown around the column and the FB group - her now husband was one of the original investors...) As much as I try to avoid taking pleasure in otehr people's misfortunes, I can't help but experience a fair bit of schadenfreude that it has died a miserable and pathetic death.

She claims to be all about empowering women but look at Lauren Luke! She effectively got her sacked/took her job by publicly bitching about her on Twitter! She muscled in on poor Carey (THAT was a revelation - the way she makes it sound is that she set up the campaign around Sarcoma!!), claims she has wonderful eyebrows because she does them herself (so who the hell is Daxita then?!?!).

For those who wanted to read the article about her mum, I have a copy of it. See below.

"Recently, a pregnant friend told me she planned to have her mother present at the birth. She couldn't imagine experiencing such a momentous occasion without the unwavering love and support of the women who'd been caring for her since she was a baby herself. I felt happy for her, but also envious. My own mother had not been present at my children's births. With my second child, I hadn't even told her I was pregnant.

I haven't spoken to my mum in two years. There, I said it. We are no longer in touch and I feel it's very much for the best. My life is happier, calmer and more productive without the anxiety, chaos and insecurity her presence brings with it. But as a woman effectively without a mother, I am painfully aware that I am not part of the club – the one where trips to the shops or spa are planned, or where funny memories are shared, or invaluable child-rearing advice dispensed. That's something I have never experienced and as a mother of sons, never will.

My mother left my father and us when I was a toddler. My dad was unfaithful and worked abroad for months on end, leaving her alone with three young children. I imagine she was very unhappy. I can't remember her leaving, but I'd be naïve not to assume it had a big impact on me. We saw her on weekends, but were never close. When my two older brothers and I moved in with her when I was seven, things didn't improve. She was extremely moody and seemed to be permanently exasperated with me. I constantly walked on eggshells.

She wasn't demonstrative or affectionate, and afforded us an inappropriately high degree of independence that felt more like neglect than freedom. I have vivid memories of being left in her car for several hours, while she went shopping or visited friends, returning only after dark. I was no more than six. She was always the last mother to arrive to pick me up from birthday parties or sleepovers, late and without explanation, and sometimes forgot altogether. I felt embarrassed and ashamed and would lie to my friends about the closeness we shared. But she was never the mumsy type you turned to when you started your periods or had boyfriend angst. We didn't talk about anything.

And later on, she had a fair bit to contend with in me. I was a rebellious and precocious teenager – lying, playing truant and eventually, at only 15, running away to London to live with my much older boyfriend, with just a letter left to explain my actions. While all my friends' mums would've been straight on the phone to the constabulary demanding my immediate return, mine did nothing. Some weeks later, in London on business, she met me at Paddington station. We sipped Maxpax coffee and did our usual skirting round the issue. Finally, as her train pulled away from the platform, she simply said, "You stupid cow", and then she was gone.

Somehow, our strained relationship muddled through my early adulthood, with spats routinely resulting in her anger, my tears and our mutual silence. As the pattern repeated, I noticed that life became confusing and chaotic whenever we were on speaking terms. During these periods, I found it hard to focus on anything else and felt insecure and depressed, yet unable to reach out to anyone. Mum and I reconnected somewhat when I met my husband. He was shocked to see how extremely anxious, frosty and uncomfortable I was in her presence, and acted as a useful bridge between us. She was thrilled when we became pregnant with our first child.

But soon after my son was born, my father died suddenly. Overwhelmed by becoming a parent and losing one in quick succession, I fell into a severe depression. Now that my father had gone, I desperately wanted to repair old wounds with my mother before it was too late, and sought professional help. Psychotherapy made me get out all the anger and resentment I felt towards my mother. How unjust I thought she'd been, the shame I felt, how I was allowing these unresolved issues to negatively impact every aspect of my life – for the first time, nothing went unspoken. My therapist sat silently and never proffered an opinion, so I was taken aback when one day she tactfully suggested it might not be wise to leave my son alone with my mother. It was a big moment for me. How could I, when I had been so desperately unhappy in her care as a child?

PJMcZ

I agree with that, the tweets have changed a lot and she’s obviously in a bad place. It’s sad to see, and precisely why her “friends” shouldn’t be performatively encouraging her on Twitter, but maybe going round and helping her in real life, quietly and without drama.

DinnerDog

Remember when she tweeted angrily about Corbyn not wearing a nice enough coat on remembrance Sunday and claimed her sons were upset about it?

• Haha

Mselvista

VIP Member
I've started listening to her latest podcast. Her intros are so obviously read out. She should try and make them sound more natural or just do a shorter ad lib intro.
I liked the bit when Sali said nowadays we have Indian and Jewish weddings 🙄

• Haha
  • Wow

RayRayJay

I see she is off to Hershesons for another freebie press hair cut rubbish. Have you seen that she is actually charging for a meet up to advise on hair. I’m not being mean when I say that sali’s hair either in cut, colour, style and type is not something that I aspire to. I’m not sure that she is qualified to give advice on this area at all....
Looking back on the previous thread, she last did a Hershesons #presstreatment story around 21st July. Less than 3 weeks ago and apparently her hair is a trainwreck. If my hairdresser was so shit that my hair was a wreck within three weeks then I would NOT expect people to come to me and pay for hair advice. Especially when her advice is to have extensions (VOLUME ONLY PEOPLE) and free treatments every couple of weeks.

She has long since advocated the benefits of aveda though. I think the benetit is that she likes the smell of shampure.

haha "benetit" was a typo but I think it's quite apt.

• Haha

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Her face looks shiny and hard now. She is still a very attractive woman obviously but in the earlier photo she just looked I think prettier as her face had a natural beauty. I think it is just sad that she looked at that face in the mirror and thought it needed botox. The pressure is awful. A few years ago a friend of mine on a night out in front of everyone (when I was about 45) said 'you'd be so beautiful if you had some botox'. It made me awfully upset as I had thought I looked OK. Anyway I ignored her as I genuinely don't find lines and wrinkles unattractive. I wish beauty experts would acknowledge an older face is nothing to be scared of. People like Sali bang on about how a face like Lauren Bacall's is beautiful with lines but won't do it themselves.

• Heart
She didn’t even make the beauty influencer shortlist. She’ll claim that she works for The Guardian so the Sunday Times would never promote a writer from a rival publication. And that’s why she didn’t make the list. No other reason. And it has nothing to do with other writers leaving her in the dust. Nothing to do with that. At all. Just newspaper politics.

• Haha

Dormouse

Hi - I discovered this site & the thread accidentally a couple of weeks ago & like many others have found it such a relief to see I'm not the only one - there have been so many times Sali has seemed to contradict something she's already said over the past couple of years, I'd started to wonder whether I'd lost it. I've been reading & believing her for so long (we have similar skin / hair / body type) and I've found a lot of what she's written in the past to be really useful, but now I'm just never sure she means any of it (and often, her recommendations just haven't been reliable any more).

While I fully approve of the need to tag gift / ad / affiliate, it has changed my view of many of the people I follow. How odd to feel so disappointed in / manipulated by people you have enjoyed reading / following for so many years - I feel quite naïve.

Anyway - the reason I signed up & am writing is - has anyone else noticed that her clothes don't seem to fit her any more? I used to really like her style - and to be honest I still do - but the gaping button thing annoys me. What's that about?

Palm23

I joined GTL in the early days and really rated Sali. I became more savvy with skincare and met some incredible women. I've become massively disillusioned since the move to the forum. Sali always called out celebs who denied having childcare or going on diets because those lies make other women feel inadequate, but that's exactly what's she's doing with her surgery.

I had professional photos taken a while ago and was shocked by how lined my face is. I'm a few years younger than Sali and it made me feel like shit to see her tight face on Instagram. I wouldn't mind if she was honest, but she's pretending it's good genes and £80 serum which is bollocks.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Her Guardian column is so dull and turgid now. Hard to remember that once it really was quite good. So weighed down with expensive niche brands quite often sponsored. I know she proudly declares she never reads comments but she probably should. She seems to have an unassailable Queen Bee position at The Guardian now and I have no idea why. A fresh voice now would be most welcome.

BostonFernGreen

Chatty Member
Her Guardian column is so dull and turgid now. Hard to remember that once it really was quite good. So weighed down with expensive niche brands quite often sponsored. I know she proudly declares she never reads comments but she probably should. She seems to have an unassailable Queen Bee position at The Guardian now and I have no idea why. A fresh voice now would be most welcome.
The comments seem to be so heavily moderated too. It’s so boring, presumably because anything interesting is deleted. They seem to leave a couple of gentle critiques up for effect 😂.

The comments defending Sali are often bizarre. Are they looking for her approval in a mean girls sort of way?
Subtext: Umm you saddo! You clearly don’t get our saviour sali and her service to wominkind! We are sassy and we wear A RED LIP. Thanks to her! And our BOY children sometimes paint nails due to a very strong woke sense of fluidity. Do you not know that femininity IS make up? I mean face paint. I mean pots of glitter. I mean whatever. Shut up.
You must be thick and very strongly against us thinking womin who have decided we can have it all. You must think we should all shave our heads and have done with it! Isn’t that right sali? Sali? Sali! Watch me Sali! I’m saying your things! I’m doing it for you Sali!

• Haha
I'm 36 and the only lines I have are horizontal forehead ones. They are from raising my eyebrows and making sarcastic faces. If I had botox presumably I wouldn't be able to do that, and it's one of my great joys in life, so fuck it.

• Haha

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I haven’t got forehead lines yet at 37 but of course I will, probably sooner rather than later, and I hope I’ll embrace them. I find the waxy strange botoxed look really sad. For example I was a huge Gwen Stefani fan growing up and thought she was the most gorgeous woman. She’s late forties now I think and has had work done and looks wrinkle free yet has lost her own ‘look’. She reminds me of a mannequin. Kind of soulless. I noticed her in a magazine the other day and her beauty for me has disappeared. I’m sure if she’d not had Botox and fillers she’d have some lines but would still look like the Gwen I used to love and, for me personally, would be a hundred times more attractive. No shade on women that choose these procedures, btw. Each to their own. I love that women have the choice. The pressure on women is just fucking awful and makes me really angry. Wrinkles can look very nice. No one can stay 25 forever 🤷‍♀️
Yes yes yes. This is why I often only look at French beauty vloggers. Some have craggy faces and are so beautiful and sexy. Their faces are alive with fun and joy and don't equate beauty with youth. As you say of course it is a woman's right to chose but I think people like Sali are closing off those options. A lined face is not an option. 'Look at me, I'm 45 without a line on my face'. This is not normal, it happens of course but it is not the norm. It is not a shameful thing to have wrinkles. I really feel as a beauty expert she should 100% be upfront about procedures she has had. 100%. Stop pretending it is all down to the various potions you are sponsored to sell us. Stop making women feel insecure.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Not much of a follower of Salli's but found this thread while I was looking for someone else and it reminded me how much I disliked her so thought it would be worth a read.

I live near Brighton and have been to a couple of events where she's been on the panel or interviewing people. I'd never heard of her before but she came across SO arrogant and judgemental.

I remember on the panel, someone had asked for some advice on how to deal with Imposter Syndrome. Everyone else gave really thoughtful advice and then Salli chimed in with how she couldn't relate to the question and how she never doubted herself because she was too amazing and didn't even try to offer the audience member some advice that might help her.

I mean, fair enough, that's great it's not an issue you've had to deal with but maybe then just keep quiet and don't try and answer the question instead of just boasting about how great you think you are?

. SM-G930F .
Ooh that is interesting. Sometimes I charitably think maybe she thinks she is being funny, on Twitter and at the event you went to but just has no aptitude for it and comes across as bloody rude. But on the whole she probably is just bloody rude.
On the bra thread she seems obsessed with how tiny she is, she has tiny shoulders and a tiny back apparently. I think her heroine Elizabeth Taylor was famously very petite with huge boobs. It is such a burden being so so tiny but with abnormally giant boobs. Obviously fishing for people to be wildly jealous of her childlike yet oh so womanly frame. For such an 'unconventional' person she is desperately conventional.

BostonFernGreen

Chatty Member
Has anyone heard the podcast yet? I see on FB she praises Avon 'Massive kudos to Avon for refusing to sanitize me or rein me in which of course is the only reason I agreed to do it'. Of course. Feisty Sal. She talks about it like it is bloody Watergate.
Is that what she said?! 😂. Does she need to be sanitizer? Sounds like she’s doing poos into the microphone!

And rein her in? Does she need reining in? I guess she does occupy some very controversial subject matter. Wow we are so lucky that this influencer is going un-censored! So progressive.

She’s basically saying: Avon know I don’t need an editor. So much respect for them for understanding that. I am kooky and mental. Actually, it would be sinful to withhold my straight talking, wouldn’t it? I tell it like it is! Don’t I! But I’m not hostile! CH is the hostile one! Me I just have very strong opinions on which beauty products women should buy and also I might touch on my old fave subject: why talking about make up all day every day makes me superior to most other creatures on Charlotte Tilbury’s great earth. Have I mentioned that when I nursed my dear friend she kept begging me to give her a pedicure? I was very extremely instrumental in her care, I don’t mind telling you: Because often ones desire to wear lipstick is the ONLY thing keeping Womin going in times of hardship. And then everybody clapped and I rolled my eyes and got another blow dry and called my dog an asshole. It’s funny because I obviously don’t think she’s an asshole. Do you get it? God I almost cracked a smile then but then it disappeared before I could catch it.

Feel a bit mean for posting the above 😐. But I am so ready for the age of the over-confident influencers to give way to something more thoughtful and considered.

Last edited:
  • Haha

maytoseptember

VIP Member
Ugh, few things piss me off more than Instagrammers who navel gaze about how social media’s been making them feel bad to they had to take a break to detox and ponder what it all means.

Let’s be honest, they’re all just fishing for compliments: “we love you, we love your Insta, don’t you dare stop posting!” It’s so transparent.

• Heart