Sali Hughes #14 Went to the pub during a pandemic, for real! Never mind, feel as you feel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello Broken People
On an entirely non Sali related topic, I am LIVING for dawn O’Porters IG stories during lockdown. She is so relatable and real and I’m loving them all.
I have also subscribed to her Patreon and her writing is warm, funny and just excellent. I

Reactions: 5
So is she now the Guardian's beauty editor?

I think we should all do this and collate the comments from our co-lockdownees. Those living solo have to send a selfie to their most sceptical elderly relative.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
At this rate Funmi will have a tattle thread of her own by the end of this recession

Nothing given between [anxiety] 'coping method' and the laziness of 'cant be bothered'. Those are the two binary options for women in a pandemic, still no high street token item for the broken people

Reactions: 6
So is she now the Guardian's beauty editor?
That is interesting. Is there more than one? Does one do The Observer and one The Guardian?
You really have to sort of admire the nerve of FF for pushing and pushing the idea that EXPENSIVE MAKEUP IS IMPORTANT.
Nobody cares.

£86 pack of sheet masks. Now, I can burn through money with the best of them, but this feels so tone deaf.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 13
At this rate Funmi will have a tattle thread of her own by the end of this recession

Nothing given between [anxiety] 'coping method' and the laziness of 'cant be bothered'. Those are the two binary options for women in a pandemic, still no high street token item for the broken people
That column is the dumbest waste of space, money and effort (although debateable whether any effort went into it). I'd say if your coping method is to put on a bit of eyeshadow, you're probably not coping with anything more than mild boredom.

In which case, stop pathologising normal emotion. Women have worked hard to demonstrate their normal emotions are normal and not 'hysterical', and now we have this tit? FF needs a proper job.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Yes, the privilege is oozing from the page

Insulting to people with actual struggles

So the stated BB objective is ‘relieving or preventing poverty’.

I don’t understand how the pivot to providing NHS workers with toiletries fits? Even ‘other charitable activities’ - the NHS is not a charity. And it has its own charity arm I think - NHS Charities Together.

Poverty and the knock on effects is a more pressing issue now - eg insecure housing https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment...s-stuck-temporary-accomodation-london-2528795
Domestic abuse soaring, refuges unable to cope https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....c-abuse-cases-soar-as-lockdown-takes-its-toll

I can see how it makes sense to help the NHS in this time, of course, I just wish money had been raised for the stated objective of relieving poverty at a time when the lowest paid amongst us have lost their jobs, many won’t qualify for government help (a good article on that https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/meet-mr-jones-very-ordinary-21766343.amp). And what about the girls without access to period products because presumably charities distribute this through schools. Many more examples I’m sure.

Maybe room to do both but then there’s barbed comments about only being three people.. I absolutely do think supporting the NHS is commendable, I probably haven’t worded this post very well but it’s been on my mind.

Attachments

• Heart
The only reason for the change is there is a bandwagon to jump on...

Another thing I find odd about BB is that their site is very geared up to donors (you can print out your pretty poster, blah blah), but if I was suffering hygiene poverty there isnt anything on how to access their services. There is a single FAQ which says we don't help individuals, only charities but there is nothing to help individuals to locate their nearest charity, nor any answers as to how 'charities' can cobtact BB to get themselves added as a recipient. There's also no information on how much stuff or how many charities or individuals they have helped. I'm not saying anything is fishy, but if you donate, your donation goes into a black hole. You hear nothing and there is nothing on their site.

Reactions: 16
I don’t see how they can go from “14 million people living in poverty” and “workers living in poverty up third year in a row” and “4 million children in the UK growing up in poverty” to “give the front line some me time” (even that wording with faux self care trope makes me wince) in a matter of weeks.

This when poverty is now more pressing than ever, with women and young people disproportionately affected. (More about that: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...conomic-shutdown-due-to-coronavirus-xztz588mv)

A few weeks ago they said “we have no agenda other than to help people in the UK living in hygiene poverty”. But now it’s “heroes deserve home comforts” ?

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 8
A few weeks ago they said “we have no agenda other than to help people in the UK living in hygiene poverty”. But now it’s “heroes deserve home comforts” ?
In an IG photo recently Sali said they had left at a hospital for NHS heroes 'basic necessities and luxury items'.
Now obviously luxury items are lovely but that is not the point of the charity is it? And luxury items for the NHS were not mentioned in the most recent Gofundme drive. I thought money from the public was being donated for the poorest in society who couldn't afford a bar of soap.
Luxuries for people in work are a lovely thing, but not the aim of Beauty Banks I thought. It seems to be their main focus now with the very occasional mention of their original target group.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
So many spam-ish emails from companies announcing their (minor or undisclosed) discount to NHS staff as a 'look at us', we are the 'good companies'. Just look after your own staff, and if you can donate - donate your useful resources rather than your products. Is a free pair of tights (heist) breast pump (elvie) or prescription skincare (dermatica) of any use to nhs staff at this time?

That FF column... she's phoning it in. It does feel completely tone deaf. I mean, if putting make up on helps people get through the day then more power to them, I guess.

As for BB - part of what I did in my last job was auditing charities. They should be more transparent - it's important for donors to see where their funding goes. That way they can be reassured that their donations are used appropriately and also what is helpful to donate and what isn't.

I thought money from the public was being donated for the poorest in society who couldn't afford a bar of soap.
This is exactly what I'm getting at. I would be narked to find my donation had been used to provide luxury products to people who aren't struggling in the way people who can't afford essentials are - hope that makes sense!

Not saying NHS are not deserving of reward at all btw because of course they are - it's nice to be thought of.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.