Sadiq Khan

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
He said there is no good reason why white people should have jobs in science and engineering and that he is "fixing" it.

Racist. If you can't see that, then you are a racism denialist.
What he's trying to fix is the cultural barriers that make a lot of non-white people give up on the idea of working in STEM industries before they even finish school because they feel the odds are against them. He wants to level the playing field. Why isn't that a good thing?

Reactions: 6
What he's trying to fix is the cultural barriers that make a lot of non-white people give up on the idea of working in STEM industries before they even finish school because they feel the odds are against them. He wants to level the playing field. Why isn't that a good thing?
That is fine but you don't do that by making racist comments. You don't solve racism with more racism.

Reactions: 1
What did he say that was racist? Earlier, you claimed that he said "White people shouldn't have good jobs," which he didn't say. That was your misleading interpretation. So how is he being racist by saying that it's unfair to women and non-white people that 65% of those jobs are filled by white men?

Reactions: 7
I don't live anywhere near London, so he's generally off my radar, but when I do see him, he always reminds me of a Brussells sprout. His head is peculiarly round and sprout-like. If sprouts were people, they'd look like him, I think.

• Haha
It's still very much a white man's world. Where exactly is this equality of opportunity you mention?
when you game equality of outcome as Khan suggests equality of opportunity is taken away. There is a reason why so many white men are in science and it’s nothing to do with racism

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Over 86% of the population in this country are white. If anything, 65% in science and engineering suggests an under representation of white people.
But 65% are white men, not white people, meaning women are also hugely underrepresented

Reactions: 3
How is it not racist to say there is no good reason why a demographic of people should be working in a certain industry?
Come on, Gloria, you know that's not what he said. He's asking why 65% of STEM jobs are filled by people from one specific demographic (white men), and trying to level the field so more women and non-white people get some of those jobs. I don't see why that's racist, or indeed problematic in any way.

Reactions: 3
Come on, Gloria, you know that's not what he said. He's asking why 65% of STEM jobs are filled by people from one specific demographic (white men), and trying to level the field so more women and non-white people get some of those jobs. I don't see why that's racist, or indeed problematic in any way.
So why didn't he say he wants to ensure black and Asian people don't face any barriers in getting work in Science then? Why did he feel the need to chastice another race because of the success they have had?

He is either slap dash and clumsy or plain racist.

Remember he said there is NO good reason for that group of people to be working in the industry.

Except he didn't say that.

You'd be best off taking this to the GB News Facebook group.

Reactions: 4
Having worked in universities he has missed out a key underrepresented demographic, white men from underprivileged backgrounds. They are often the biggest demographic that don't receive the same opportunities (and there are official stats to prove that)

There are subjects and industries that don't receive a variety of applications in terms of demographic. That's not for the want of trying, unis actively outreach to schools and colleges etc to try and encourage wider demographics (especially girls) to be interested in engineering and technology subjects. Race wise they are open to all, with some subjects receiving higher applications from perceived minority backgrounds.

I think its more to do with cultural backgrounds, current pop culture of what's seen as trendy, and socio economic issues that stop people applying for certain things. And as for the industries themselves, do graduates stay in the country or do the work abroad, something common especially in engineering.

As usual with twitter, it is completely devoid of context.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
What cultural barriers are they? Since 2006 UCAS has tracked entry into university and whilst white applicants have increased but so have every other ethnic minority to the point that if you are white you are less likely to go to university than any other ethnic group. The Royal Society had recently highlighted the lack of black people in STEM especially at a senior level and right away people where out with their pitchforks and placards.

However what they never bothered to discuss is why other ethnic minorities are over represented in STEM fields. In 2021 72.1 of Chinese 18 year olds where accepted to higher education and you can bet that the majority are applying for STEM fields with very few applying for gender studies courses. Clearly there are no cultural barriers for Chinese or Asian applicants....why is that?
---

Having worked in universities he has missed out a key underrepresented demographic, white men from underprivileged backgrounds. They are often the biggest demographic that don't receive the same opportunities (and there are official stats to prove that)

There are subjects and industries that don't receive a variety of applications in terms of demographic. That's not for the want of trying, unis actively outreach to schools and colleges etc to try and encourage wider demographics (especially girls) to be interested in engineering and technology subjects. Race wise they are open to all, with some subjects receiving higher applications from perceived minority backgrounds.

I think its more to do with cultural backgrounds, current pop culture of what's seen as trendy, and socio economic issues that stop people applying for certain things. And as for the industries themselves, do graduates stay in the country or do the work abroad, something common especially in engineering.

As usual with twitter, it is completely devoid of context.
Here is the STATS here and I remember when munroe bergdorf the moronic racist was presented with them he went off in a tangent about mental health and history books.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Why has the conversation moved from the gender of ethnic makeup of people working in STEM (what Sadiq Khan was talking about) to the number of Asian students applying to universities (what Sadiq Khan was not talking about)?