Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

lilyannrose

VIP Member
The crime rate has soared while he's been Mayor. He seems totally unbothered about all the knife crime. I loathe him.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Vanillaco

VIP Member
I do, it was made by a complete arsehole.
I don't live in London anymore, but Sadiq Khans comment is not a helpful comment in any way.

I lived in London took way too much risks!! Especially at night!! Walking back half pissed to where I was living at 3 in the morning!! Didn’t find it scary!! I think really it’s a lot of luck, being very street savay!! I used to the same in Dublin and these areas are rough, it’s just takes being in the wrong place at the wrong time!! That’s why if anything happened to me crossing fingers it doesn’t it’s my responsibility because I shouldn’t have put my self in that position!! I should being with someone or in a taxi!!
If women are attacked, its the fault of the attacker, no one else. By saying if you had been attacked, it was your responsibility, it takes responsibility away from the perpetrator not to do any raping. Men don't have to rape or murder women just because they see them alone in the street, or if they are drunk. Most of them manage not to. The reality is that women do have to protect themselves because its not enough if you are murdered to say ' Its the murderers fault, not mine' but it is still the responsibility of the men who perpetrate these crimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8

ThePelican

What did he say that was racist? Earlier, you claimed that he said "White people shouldn't have good jobs," which he didn't say. That was your misleading interpretation. So how is he being racist by saying that it's unfair to women and non-white people that 65% of those jobs are filled by white men?

Reactions: 7

ThePelican

He said there is no good reason why white people should have jobs in science and engineering and that he is "fixing" it.

Racist. If you can't see that, then you are a racism denialist.
What he's trying to fix is the cultural barriers that make a lot of non-white people give up on the idea of working in STEM industries before they even finish school because they feel the odds are against them. He wants to level the playing field. Why isn't that a good thing?

Reactions: 6

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
So he didn’t say “white people should not have good jobs”.

He said that the racial and gender makeup of those working in the science and engineering sector is not proportionate to that of the population en masse.

Two entirely different things.
He said there is no good reason why white people should have jobs in science and engineering and that he is "fixing" it.

• Haha
Reactions: 6

Tangerine Cat

VIP Member

I agree with you. It’s the 'no good reason' bit as though it’s bad. And that’s why I can’t bear Khan, he’s so divisive and loves to wind people up.

And you’re correct that if that statement was turned around it would be a terrible thing to say towards black people.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Wind Fish

"London's streets are not safe for women or girls"

Anyone else find this quote objectionable? The tragedy this week is headline news because it's something very rare. In all cities there's an increased risk as the population density is higher - simple maths. I don't think making out that London is different from elsewhere helps anyone! Leaving your home has risks, driving a car has risks. I've been attacked and mugged several times in London after being here for most of my adult life but I really don't see London as any more dangerous. The head of the met talks about it generally being safe but the Mayer says it's not safe.

• Haha
  • Heart

Mark81

VIP Member
Having worked in universities he has missed out a key underrepresented demographic, white men from underprivileged backgrounds. They are often the biggest demographic that don't receive the same opportunities (and there are official stats to prove that)

There are subjects and industries that don't receive a variety of applications in terms of demographic. That's not for the want of trying, unis actively outreach to schools and colleges etc to try and encourage wider demographics (especially girls) to be interested in engineering and technology subjects. Race wise they are open to all, with some subjects receiving higher applications from perceived minority backgrounds.

I think its more to do with cultural backgrounds, current pop culture of what's seen as trendy, and socio economic issues that stop people applying for certain things. And as for the industries themselves, do graduates stay in the country or do the work abroad, something common especially in engineering.

As usual with twitter, it is completely devoid of context.

• Heart

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
I cannot stand this man. He is racist. He said white people should not have good jobs. He talks of people of Jim Davidson's "ilk", what does he mean, white people?

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
He didn’t say that the white people who currently work in STEM should lose their jobs. Nor did he say that no white people should ever be hired in STEM

He said that the proportion of individuals working in the sector should reflect the population at large. That’s how percentages work.
Over 86% of the population in this country are white. If anything, 65% in science and engineering suggests an under representation of white people.

Glortard

VIP Member
It's still very much a white man's world. Where exactly is this equality of opportunity you mention?
when you game equality of outcome as Khan suggests equality of opportunity is taken away. There is a reason why so many white men are in science and it’s nothing to do with racism

• Heart

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
No - you posted a statistic saying that 65% of people in STEM are white men.
He obviously mentioned race for a reason.

Let's think about this if it was flipped around. If there was a white mayor saying there is no good reason why 65% of people in this industry are black men or Asian men. Would that not be racist?

PeteM

VIP Member
Except he didn't say that.

You'd be best off taking this to the GB News Facebook group.

WestSideIsDaBest

No his comments are not helpful at all. But he only comes out to jump on a passing band wagon.

You could argue london is safer as there’s more people about at night than out on the Suburb streets.

• Heart