Ruby Granger #40 Ruby the linguistic terrorist

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Girl spent probably 40min on a shopping list and used 3 seperate devices for it. I cant.
Also, why would you want to write a grocery shopping list 5-6 weeks before you move in? That would be sooo far down my priority list if I had to get ready to start uni again!

Reactions: 25
Why is Rootabaga chatting with AI about the things her father gets up to in the Indian restaurant 👀👀👀

or is drunk!Clare using her daughter’s account to write fanfic about her hubby, and how heavily do tomato soup armpits feature

View attachment 2399578
also my brain is now singing ”mummy don’t know daddy’s getting soused / at the curry house / doing something un-soupy” at full volume

• Haha
Reactions: 13
There’s also zero chance she’s actually reading any of the works listed. She’s going to be copying character lists and plot summaries from Sparknotes. The most any of her primary texts are going to be getting is a quick skim and a page flag for any passages referenced as being of particular importance in the summaries she reads.
Oh Lord, that is not going to go well for her at Oxford… 😲

I hope she is just doing it behind the scenes and, for whatever reason, not sharing it. (If this is the case, it’s definitely some weird Ruby reason like wanting to pretend she did it all in a month because she is a prodigy.) As ghastly as she can be, I can’t bring myself to actively wish total shame and failure on her.

Reactions: 7
Gosh where to start?!

First time comment.

For some reason Ruby’s Instagram feed popped up on my page and stupidly I took a look.

Initially I thought it was a parody account. Having checked here, I was relieved to find likeminded people.

Having done two masters (and been approached by St John’s college, Cambridge to study with them), she is way off the mark with what you need to take with you.

I’m surprised she can lift her backpack off the floor. At one point, I was half expecting her to pull a rabbit out of the bag! ……I think she forgot the kitchen sink.

A rain hat, a plastic bag, cutlery, not one but two pencil cases, stamps, note lets and envelopes…and still the stuff keeps coming! Glasses, contact lenses, her Waterstones student card for a 5% discount……noise cancelling headphones, ear pods, her planner, and about three different notebooks, blah blah blah.

She is so vacuous.

The only essentials required are a pen, pencil, a highlighter pen, laptop and notebook.

…..and is it just me or does her thumb look like a toe??!!

Reactions: 25
Do we actually have proof that her mum is an alcoholic?
Is there proof that anyone is an alcoholic? The definition of an alcoholic is a little subjective. Technically, there's a number to it medically, but depending on your culture, that could be normal. Europeans drink more than the average American, but I don't think Europeans are alcoholics.

Reactions: 6
https://www.youtube.com/@emmiereads Canadian booktuber that is very down to earth and finishing her 4 year degree. She likes classics, but she doesn't pretend to like every classic like Ruby does. My only criticism of Emma is that sometimes she rates books that are seen as "trashy" low even if she enjoyed reading them. She used to do a lot more nature walks, but her bf got a job in Toronto, so they live in the city now. She still takes frequent trips home when there's a lot more mountains and greenery because she really enjoys being out in nature.
Oh yeah I love Emmie!! I've been watching her for two years now. Do you have any other recommendations?.

Reactions: 1
Is there proof that anyone is an alcoholic? The definition of an alcoholic is a little subjective. Technically, there's a number to it medically, but depending on your culture, that could be normal. Europeans drink more than the average American, but I don't think Europeans are alcoholics.
It's all about your attitude to alcohol. Maybe you only have a shot of vodka every night so not that much quantity wise. But if you feel like you can't physically or mentally function without that shot of vodka then you are probably developing some sort of problem.
Conversely, I grew up in a culture where, until quite recently, it was pretty normal to drink wine with every meal including in the early morning, but people aren't struggling to function without it, constantly thinking about alcohol or getting black out drunk all the time.

Reactions: 13
Currently wondering what Alan's Curry House Antics are? Tempted to go on chat gp and see what it conjurers up and see if it is similar to one of Claire's blog posts.

Also yikes to Ruby's hairline today!

Partner and I were also surprised with Daddy Bones locking the study. Wonder why he does that as I can't imagine my parents locking a room from my brother and I? Why does he lock it? Wrong answers only.

Her studying seems to be so much busy work than actually proper working. I certainly didn't make a Pinterest board for university preparation, did anyone else?

I don't know why she's not started her uni reading yet from what she shows. She should have started when she got in especially as she's not an early modernist. I don't know if she is expecting to find an Oxford Blakney. I expect that she is going to pander and harass her lecturers in massive emails to give her the answers she needs when she's stuck akin to undergraduate, or she's going to cram for 15 hours a day to compensate for her lack of knowledge.
in an am actually convicted that she's going to transfer.

Does anyone know if the Victorian literature course has the archive elements in it? Just wondering if she's sticking with the early modern one for the archives.

Reactions: 5
i know a few ppl mention already, but the whole apple pencil bit lmao? just find it funny how someone with no money problems (that im aware of) complains abt the price of a new apple pencil (the newer ipads are clearly labeled as needing a gen 2 pencil, what did u expect?)... like why get the new ipad then? u got a macbook? or just use that reMarkable thingy that u were gifted a while back if u want the writing experience? like there are so many options, but the complaining just came off a lil.... performative to me?

or just. a physical notebook. those work too. they don't run out of charge either lol

EDIT: also, unrelated to this but is anyone else a huge Inspector Morse/Endeavour/Lewis fan and wondering if that'll become the next aesthetic that is leant into at oxford lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
The whole food shopping list cracked me up. When you're tired or lazy and you need food...it's almost like the Oxford colleges have a place where this problem is solved...also known as the Hall which serves 3 subsidised meals a day...

• Haha
Reactions: 29
The whole food shopping list cracked me up. When you're tired or lazy and you need food...it's almost like the Oxford colleges have a place where this problem is solved...also known as the Hall which serves 3 subsidised meals a day...
And they encourage you to go to the formal dinners too… so what she is on I dunno but I assume if she went someone would pick up on her messed up eating habits etc aka chewing liquids

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Do we actually have proof that her mum is an alcoholic?
Not sure about alcoholism, but I think her blog post about dry january illustrates some sort of dependence

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
Not sure about alcoholism, but I think her blog post about dry january illustrates some sort of dependence
That's interesting. Did she write that whilst drunk? There are so many errors, does she not proofread her work? 😫

My sister in CHRIST, clean your nails! The entire video she's just proudly got those hooves out on display like she's competing at the local Horse show or something.

I'm not at all making fun of the shape of her fingers and nails because I'm pretty sure that's a specific condition that some people have. I also don't judge regular people for having unkempt nails because regular people have regular lives and other priorities. But her entire life is putting herself in the public and the least she can do is make herself presentable to that public by practicing basic hygiene and being well-groomed. The state of her nails is as atrocious as the state of her house.

Is she a 15th century peasant?? Is she an orc?? WHAT ARE THOSE?! Not only is there dirt beneath her nails, they're all mismatched in length and look like she plays whac-a-mole with them on a daily basis with Thor's hammer. Just trim them and file them down, dude. THAT'S IT. She can even do it while pretending to read, like how she brushes her teeth. But then this is the same person who thinks skincare isn't real and is someone who can't be bothered to take a quick shower after going out on runs and just sits there all day in her sweat and filth soooo....

It's probably a part of her pretentious old timey and "kidcore" aesthetic to have unkempt nails. She does the same thing with her hair.. she won't cut it or style it because that's not how the little girls she's obsessed with do it, even though a shoulder or chest length haircut with some layers will do her a world of good.

• Sick
Reactions: 15
She will be expected to attend a few formal meals in Hall; other than that, it’s basically optional. I’m surprised she doesn’t want to use it for content, though. One of the illustrations in the planner looks like it’s based on a college Hall.

Reactions: 9
She will be expected to attend a few formal meals in Hall; other than that, it’s basically optional. I’m surprised she doesn’t want to use it for content, though. One of the illustrations in the planner looks like it’s based on a college Hall.
She seems to think she's going to have endless time to cook her vegan "recreations" in addition to the workload. I feel like she's in for a surprise there. But I can also see her trying to avoid eating in Hall for control reasons - I'm sure they offer vegan options, but she won't have control over what goes in the food and is probably afraid of it for that reason.

Reactions: 12
Yeah, the vegan options in Oxbridge catering have improved over the years (used to be laughably bad), but they’re still challenging if you have an ED / disordered eating. Formal Hall is usually three courses.

Reactions: 4
It's all about your attitude to alcohol. Maybe you only have a shot of vodka every night so not that much quantity wise. But if you feel like you can't physically or mentally function without that shot of vodka then you are probably developing some sort of problem.
Conversely, I grew up in a culture where, until quite recently, it was pretty normal to drink wine with every meal including in the early morning, but people aren't struggling to function without it, constantly thinking about alcohol or getting black out drunk all the time.
That.
I truly like alcohol but I can also not drink for years. You can drink the lightes alcohol in the smallest quantity, if you can't have a day without it then there's a problem. It's like every addiction, it's not the act itself, it's the fact you are addicted to it.
In Ruby's mom case, nobody here can affirm she's alcoholic, but she seems to drink often, and their yard has lot of empty bottles. Also, the fact that she fall and hurt herself that often could be the result of being a bit drunk.
---
Perfect occasion to wear her granger's costume and force a poor student to listen to her explaning that she read something about the ceiling in The history of the university of Oxford in her iconic fake accent.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.