Ruby Granger #29 Is it soon yet?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you to @heroesfeast for the wonderful title.

In the last thread, Ruby finally received her degree results and was disappointed that she only got a measly first. Not to worry, though! Ruby then told us that grades aren't important (while also telling us that they are important and employers will judge you if your module results aren't above 70).

In other news, it took her three hundred years to read Call Me By Your Name.

Umm, what else happened? It's all a blur now.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
100% off topic but I jumped through half her results video just to get a new profile picture.. I'm not sure if it was worth it 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
can we talk about her top five books of 2022... does she think that was passable for a person who allegedly lives for literature? does she even know how to read?

Reactions: 11
I guess now we know she doesn’t read tattle given she didn’t realize she’d misspelled “debacle” 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I guess now we know she doesn’t read tattle given she didn’t realize she’d misspelled “debacle” 😂
And even without Tattle, she still had several opportunities on her own to catch the error.

She made the error when she was writing the story.
She either missed it when editing/proofreading the project, or didn't do any editing or proofreading at all (the most likely option).
She missed it when filming the footage of the story and illustrations for her video.
She missed it when editing the footage, or just slapped together the footage without looking (the most likely option).

But considering she pronounced it "tappackle" in this new video, which is unbelievably off-base and close to how she misspelt it, I totally believe that she thought she had it spelt correctly and in her head it wasn't a typo.

Reactions: 24
This might sound horrible but she really just didn't grasp the point of university at all did she? You're meant to work smart and balance your work with newfound friendships and hobbies and growing up and all she did was uni work 24/7 and probably came out with the same grade as a lot of her classmates who found the right balance

• Sad
Reactions: 48
There is not a University MA programme in the land that would turn their nose up at a 74 for a dissertation mark. Not even Oxbridge. Why would they?

The problem would inevitably arise in an interview scenario, where our protAGONIST would decry her grade as paltry and how her dissertation actually deserved a much higher mark. Instant red flag.

Oxford entry requirement for one of their postgraduate English programmes:

a first-class or strong upper second-class undergraduate degree with honours in English literature and/or English language, or exceptionally a related subject.

If a 2:1 meets entry requirements (presumably providing the course isn't oversubscribed and you nail an interview) then why would her dissertation mark of 74 be remotely of concern? I think our amazing gossip_guy nailed it when he said she felt entitled to a 'publishable' mark. And therein lies the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 36
There is not a University MA programme in the land that would turn their nose up at a 74 for a dissertation mark. Not even Oxbridge. Why would they?

The problem would inevitably arise in an interview scenario, where our protAGONIST would decry her grade as paltry and how her dissertation actually deserved a much higher mark. Instant red flag.
That and she'd be incapable of speaking coherent sentences or forming thoughts that weren't pure babbling nonsense with a thesaurus-worth of misused words she doesn't understand and can't pronounce tossed in to sound smart.

Oxbridge would toss her right out the door.

Reactions: 18
If a 2:1 meets entry requirements (presumably providing the course isn't oversubscribed and you nail an interview) then why would her dissertation mark of 74 be remotely of concern? I think our amazing gossip_guy nailed it when he said she felt entitled to a 'publishable' mark. And therein lies the problem.
And she's still beating that drum. What she saw as a low, disappointing grade wasn't enough to humble her in any way.

She's talking about how grades could be higher if a different lecturer marks them. In this video, even as she's saying numbers don't matter, she says that it's more important that you learn something (she certainly didn't) but also that your work is "contributing something to the field".

She's completely divorced from reality. In what world is every undergrad essay "contributing something to the field"? It's not, and it's not supposed to. But that was her expectation for herself.

She wanted to deliver a Masters-grade dissertation thesis at undergrad level and leave a lasting mark. She wanted people to cite her thesis in later essays. She fully expected that and felt entitled to it. Instead she got the same grade as almost half the students there. She only got that because she cut corners, scammed the system, and Exeter were handing out Firsts like Mars Bars on Halloween.

She learned nothing and will only be remembered by her uni as "that weird, annoying girl who dressed like an orphaned chambermaid and wouldn't stop harassing the staff with letters and emails". She's completely unremarkable, and she's wasted years to ultimately not get what she wanted.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I'm frankly stunned she isn't pursuing a Masters immediately after this. How will she make the switch from worrying about her grades to worrying about the critical reception of her book? Even the most highly regarded books ever written "only" achieve a 4.5 on Goodreads! Better the devil you know than the devil you don't!

Reactions: 12
But considering she pronounced it "tappackle" in this new video, which is unbelievably off-base and close to how she misspelt it, I totally believe that she thought she had it spelt correctly and in her head it wasn't a typo.
I think so too. It was an easy mistake to spot.

Anyway, I think the only problem is the fact she expected to do better. It's telling that whenever Ruby has received a lower grade she's felt the need to blame it on some external factor - usually the marking standards of the university, e.g. ''oh, but two professors will give different marks to the same essay'' or ''I took a risk and was penalised for it'' rather than accepting that her work is imperfect and there's room for improvement. It's arrogance mixed with unrealistic expectations. Honestly, her results are great and no normal student would be upset by this.

Edit to add: Also worth noting that Ruby's Oxford interview fell flat and I'm not sure much has changed since then. Ruby's ability to think on her feet and engage critically with the subject still isn't anything special, despite the good degree from a prestigious uni.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
Was going through my screenshots and found sad Roobee face, I swear she’s near tears at the thought of not only returning the money she got for the ad but giving up her own time and money to charity. Also let’s all collectively hold our breath while we wait for the memorials to go up! Starting July 13 at the very latest!

9006568B-9179-4EB7-8B7C-AEDB3B44585C.jpeg

also as you can imagine, I have accumulated quite a few screenshots of Roobster and the variety of freckle configurations that she’s managed over the years is baffling 😂 I have actual freckles atm and they’re not ASSthetic in the slightest.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14

Oxford entry requirement for one of their postgraduate English programmes:

a first-class or strong upper second-class undergraduate degree with honours in English literature and/or English language, or exceptionally a related subject.

I wrote a few threads ago that she is likely to get into that Master's at Oxford that aligns exactly with her interests (MSt in English 1830-1914, https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses/mst-english-1830-1914), because they have a high acceptance rate. This programme gets 83 applications a year, and has 65 places for the 2022-23 academic year.
The minimum entry requirements are "a first-class or strong upper second-class undergraduate degree with honours in English literature and/or English language, or exceptionally a related subject." She will have ticked that box now.
Oxford can only save itself by seeing through her application letter, CV etc.

Reactions: 8
The fact her lowest overall module grade was for a creative writing class doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 33
The fact her lowest overall module grade was for a creative writing class doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.
It's only a matter of time before she tries to make money off of that monstrosity she created for her children's literature module because she got an 80 and thinks it's publishable

Reactions: 12
Scored 80s in all child related classes huh... guess there's benefits to being stunted after all 💁‍♀️

On a more serious note, she should try writing for younger kids first and slowly build her way up to teenagers instead of going for ya right away. I think that would really help improve her writing and it would give her brain a chance to process and redo whatever development stage she skipped over.

Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.