Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Sheeeet

Chatty Member
I wonder if they'll be taking or leaving their MRI scanner? You'd think they'd give it it's own room rather than stashing it behind the sofa

171482_12062280_IMG_05_0001.jpeg.jpg

Its like the designer said "high end bling, or country retreat?" and the owner said "yes"

• Haha
Reactions: 24

Millais

Chatty Member
I hate it when they just post of a photo of a bunch of flowers or a mug. I’m not spending £2.5million on flowers am I, hun?

• Haha
Reactions: 21

Falkor

VIP Member
If you want a modern house, buy a modern house or build one. Do not buy a glorious late-Georgian manor house and do this to it.

• Wow
  • Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 20

WeHadFunRight

VIP Member
My father in law recently put his house on the market with the same estate agent as the flat he had put an offer on, and because the estate agent was so rude to him he’s taken it back off the market and rescinded his offer 😂 I just love it - it’s not even petty, it’s principled and the EA totally deserved it 😂 serving up a whole heap of actions have consequences 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19

Some People!

Chatty Member
What do you think could be done with this house? No mains supply and no road access. Some walkers might be keen to stay in it as an Air B&B.

Theres the potential for negotiating road access for owners with the landowners the access crosses (£125 pa +solicitors feed for arranging that).
Sad, someone's already had a crack at fixing it up ☹
I suspect that planning permissions would be fairly restrictive on a path in a national park.

Fantasy time!
Firstly I'd get the road access arranged.
I'd remedy the bits of damp there are, and then I'd get some kind of renewable energy sorted (solar & wind as there's previously been a windmill) and solar thermal for hot water, and get some kind of waste water treatment sorted. I'd look at hooking up & storing grey & rain water for flushing the lav. I'd be looking at electric heating. I'd probably have to reinstate the septic tank at least at first. I'd do everything possible to avoid using a generator or calor gas in the long-term. I'd be taking full advantage of all possible grants and initiatives to do this sustainable stuff, mainly to negate the lack of mains ANYTHING.
I'd need to achieve broadband somehow, even if I had to dig a trench for underground fibre with my own two hands!! 😂

I'd knock out the externally accessed store which eats into the internal space to make a dining area. I'd work out a way of accessing the bathroom upstairs without having to go through the big bedroom (probably just a diagonal wall/door across the gap). I'd also make the outbuilding watertight.

Then the fun stuff - I'd love to live in it myself tbh. The location does lend itself to Airbnb types of things and the income would br great, so I'd look at what kinds of cabins could be added without either losing too much space on the plot or encountering massive permissions headaches. As you say, it'd be great for walkers. Maybe I'd Airbnb a room initially as well because this fantasy project is expensive af! 😂
I'd love to make use of the outhouse to sell produce and essentials to walkers as it's right on the track.
Those would be very cute projects.
I'd have an absolute ball decorating the house. Because I'm tight af I'd live with the kitchen, bathroom and current upvc windows for as long as possible. Then I'd replace the kitchen with handmade built in rustic farm-type cupboards/ worktops/ shelving and try to keep the quarry tile floor (love it!). Butler sink, OBVIOUSLY. If there was room in the bathroom I'd add a nice roll-top bath with a classy-looking electric shower (see: no mains). I think best use of space would be a corner basin. I like a simple white tiled bathroom, so nothing crazy there. When the windows need replacing I'd want to put in something a bit more sympathetic - the current windows are a bit off-the-rack and too small for the original apertures. I'd find out what they would have looked like originally and have something double glazed made to fit in the right style.
Outside I'd put up a small boot-room lean-to porch at the back (bet there'd be no issues adding that) for muddy stuff & coats. The garden needs some cute paths, a wee patio to the rear, flower gardens, apple trees, vegetable plots, etc. Lovely. A nice-looking bit of hardstanding for the 4x4 I'll need to acquire. Maybe something nicely made from wood, covered, which could include a small workshop and wood store. Grow stuff up the sides.

I expect it might be necessary to put up the most charming pass-agg signs as possible to ask walkers not to knock/ask to use the loo/ fill water bottles/ charge anything/ use the phone, at least during antisocial hours 😬

Well, that was a pleasant diversion! I'd love to have the time/ money to take on something like this - I'd be great at it and I'd love that life 🖤🖤🖤
Back to reality now 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 17