Real life crime and murder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For those that didn’t see, he got a minimum 27 years.

For those that didn’t see, he got a minimum 27 years.
It was 27 years for her murder and 18 years for her rape but to run concurrently! 🙄

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Hi . Can I just ask you all where you get your information from . I love true crime stories , I did dabble a little bit with law . Is there a website , do you all watch the same channel , is there a channel ? I’d leave to follow the proceedings of a trial , beginning , during and after , I’ve never heard of Libby square and the ones you’re talking about or do you just follow the news ?

Reactions: 2
The local papers often have a court reporter giving live coverage. There are also forums such as web sleuths that will discuss certain trials. I often do my own background research - social media, previous convictions, there’s usually a wealth of information out there.

Reactions: 5
Hi . Can I just ask you all where you get your information from . I love true crime stories , I did dabble a little bit with law . Is there a website , do you all watch the same channel , is there a channel ? I’d leave to follow the proceedings of a trial , beginning , during and after , I’ve never heard of Libby square and the ones you’re talking about or do you just follow the news ?
Read the very first post in this thread for my MO 😊

Reactions: 3
I don’t fully understand the logic of concurrent sentences.
Me neither, it frustrates me so I dread to think how the victim’s families feel!
This guy is also serving 8.5 years for voyeurism crimes from the 2years prior to Libby’s murder, yet this new sentence starts today. So 8.5 + 27 + 18 = 53.5 years in total yet he’ll serve a minimum of 27....I just hope the parole board never release him!

Reactions: 9
Isn’t a life sentence in the uk 15 years? So if they were run consecutively it would be 15 plus whatever he got for rape , 5 ? 10? , I think from what I’ve read if they were tried separately it wouldn’t be as high as when they are run together

Reactions: 1
Isn’t a life sentence in the uk 15 years? So if they were run consecutively it would be 15 plus whatever he got for rape , 5 ? 10? , I think from what I’ve read if they were tried separately it wouldn’t be as high as when they are run together
there would be a starting point for sentencing but then the judge takes a variety of factors onto account that increase it.

Reactions: 1
For a 'regular' murder (say a beating) yes it's a 15 year starting point but this can be increased/decreased with aggravating/mitigating factors. The starting point increases the more serious the offence - so, for example, murder with a knife brought to the scene is 25 years, a murder committed for gain 30 years. Again, these can be increased/decreased with aggravating/mitigating factors.

The starting point for anyone under 18 is always 12 years.

Unlike the USA, we basically try everything and everyone together wherever possible.

The judge's full sentencing remarks are here for the Libby Squire case which explain how he has arrived at the sentence.

I don't really understand how concurrent or determinate sentences work either but my understanding, from reading his remarks, is that no matter whether he started at 15 or 30 years (for it to be a 30 year starting point, I think he has to be absolutely sure that it was a sexually motivated, pre meditated murder and he accepted that the murder wasn't pre meditated) the pre meditated sexual offending/rape that night meant he could push the sentencing up to near 30 years anyway. Although the murder and rape are listed as separate sentencing, the totality of the offending is 27 years and doesn't include the years from his previous conviction. That's how I read it anyway.

I believe that the 27 year sentence will start once he has completed his previous sentence.

He's never getting out.

Last edited:
Here are the judges sentencing remarks in the Libby Squires case.

I’m the kind of strange human who spends hours reading sentencing remarks - often from trials I didn’t even follow. I find them absolutely fascinating. if it’s a trial involving a child the local safeguarding board or council will generally conduct and publish a SCR - these generally contain a lot of background that is not published in the media.

Here are the judges sentencing remarks in the Libby Squires case.

I’m the kind of strange human who spends hours reading sentencing remarks - often from trials I didn’t even follow. I find them absolutely fascinating. if it’s a trial involving a child the local safeguarding board or council will generally conduct and publish a SCR - these generally contain a lot of background that is not published in the media.
It makes very interesting reading, very sad reading too, (i cried thinking of her crying for her mum) but what an utter complete bastard he was,

Just to be pedantic but the judge is female. She’s something of a bad ass if you read her history. Really pleased she was the judge on this case.

Reactions: 8
A murderer called jenny cupit came too my year 8 daughters school to do a "talk" she explained how she had some mental health issues and killed her lovers wife in a jealous rage spur of the moment. However, when I googled the story there was way more to it then that..... She bought a knife on the way to the house!! And there was way more to it!!! Not sure what her point is going into schools doing prison chats!! Very interesting story tho!
Just googled her and found this write up on her, really interesting to read....

Reactions: 4
He'd actually had the sentence for the voyeurism charges reduced from 8 years to 5 years 8 months on appeal. This information was only allowed to be released after the guilty verdict.

The statement from Libby's mum was extremely beautiful, poignant and heartbreaking.

He stared at Libby's parents for over a minute after the verdict was read out. What a despicable man.

Reactions: 4
Just to be pedantic but the judge is female. She’s something of a bad ass if you read her history. Really pleased she was the judge on this case.
Apologies. I'm usually quite hot on this stuff but haven't really followed the trial if I'm honest.

My fave bad ass female judge 😂

My boyfriend did his jury duty in her court and said she was fab but also very interested in when she could get out for a fag which she made no secret of! 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Regarding Pawel Relowicz, the Judge stated the following:

Relowicz will serve his full sentence.

The judge told him: "A minimum term means what it says. Even after you have served that term, you will not be released unless and until the Parole Board decides that it is safe to do so.

"You may never be released."

"If you are, you will remain on licence for the rest of your life and will be liable to recall if you commit any further offence or breach the conditions of your licence."
@Be More Pacific - "I don't really understand how concurrent or determinate sentences work either..."

The following site details the different types of prison sentences - https://www.gov.uk/types-of-prison-sentence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.