Real Life Crime and Murder #4 goss

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Some justice for Bernadette: https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk...-found-guilty-of-murdering-bernadette-3323724

'Today a unanimous verdict was delivered by the jury, with Scott Walker found guilty of murder.'

'Scott Walker was convicted of murder and two counts of perverting the course of justice, relating to knowing or believing she was dead. The jury were not asked to deliver verdicts on the other two perverting the course of justice counts, as they were ‘alternative’ counts.

No verdicts have been given for the charges against Sarah Walker, and the jury were told that a majority verdict would be acceptable for those counts. This means that a verdict on which at least 10 jurors are agreed can be taken.'
I was worried when they said they needed a unanimous verdict for him but I’m so relieved the jury agreed. Poor Bernadette, her diary entry was so sad to read. I hope she can be found and laid to rest

Reactions: 7
I've thinking about this loads in relation to when I was 13-14 (back in the dark ages of '87-88) and why there weren't more kids stabbing eachother. My school was rough as hell, there was a lot going on in a lot of our lives and a lot of rage and hormones flying around.
I think it may have something to do with the relentless nature of social media and chat apps nowadays. Kids are in touch 24/7, winding eachother up, getting eachother hyped up and finding grievances. There's no cool down time to get a sense of perspective. They're just completely immersed in their own world and this combined with the intensity of teenage hormones is a toxic mix.
Hope that makes sense!
think you may be onto something with social media!

I went to school in a naice leafy pretty posh area of a big city and a kid in the year above me stabbed a kid to death in a local park as some sort of rivalry between our school and another one nearby. That was 1993 and stuff like that just didn't happen then (not as regularly as it does now, anyway).

That's a good point. There was a BBC story yesterday about Bernadette's murder and it touched on similar:

'Now convicted of murder, police plan to speak to him in prison in a bid to get information about where Bernadette is.

However, Dr Lundrigan said: "What we find with killers is often it's the last bit of control they have, so they are very reluctant to relinquish.

"Even when they are found guilty and they're in prison and there is no attention on them, they've still got that one nugget of information, and it's power."'
Yep, that’s a really sad fact.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I've thinking about this loads in relation to when I was 13-14 (back in the dark ages of '87-88) and why there weren't more kids stabbing eachother. My school was rough as hell, there was a lot going on in a lot of our lives and a lot of rage and hormones flying around.
I think it may have something to do with the relentless nature of social media and chat apps nowadays. Kids are in touch 24/7, winding eachother up, getting eachother hyped up and finding grievances. There's no cool down time to get a sense of perspective. They're just completely immersed in their own world and this combined with the intensity of teenage hormones is a toxic mix.
Hope that makes sense!
I absolutely agree with this. I was 13-14 in 1978-79 and (unless your enemy phoned your landline, spoke to your mum and asked to speak to you LOL) all arguments were left at 3pm and possibly picked up again at 9am the next day, but there was that breathing space where you just couldnt contact each other (unless you went out after school), and there was no way of letting dozens of your friends know that X had pissed you off so let's all get them back at school tomorrow. Phone calls were expensive and you didnt just sit by the front door chatting on the landline to your friends all night. It gave everyone breathing space and a bit of perspective i think.

Reactions: 23
I was worried when they said they needed a unanimous verdict for him but I’m so relieved the jury agreed. Poor Bernadette, her diary entry was so sad to read. I hope she can be found and laid to rest
The judge will always ask for a unanimous verdict in the first instance then usually reduce it to a majority verdict being acceptable at a later stage.

Reactions: 3
Just reading more about the murder of Olly Stephens and the trial:

“Because of their age special arrangements were made for the trial, with lawyers removing their wigs and gowns. But Boy A had to be spoken to by the judge for not taking the case seriously enough and having an 'attitudinal face' as evidence was presented”

“Boy A had a conviction for robbing a 16-year-old of his trainers at knifepoint in September 2020, an offence for which he was referred to a youth offending team.”

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
I think the issue of knife crime is a fascinating one. There is no doubt there is more gang grooming, and drugs sold by gangs (and I think it’s highly likely- far more drugs than 50 years ago?) there is a huge amount of money in drugs, which makes people reckless and violent.

however the issue as to why young people are so desperate for money? I think we have a big problem with institutional racism, and poverty. Gang grooming has been allowed to run wild, without the interventioN services that worked very well 20 years ago for operation trident.

finally I suspect it’s obvious that knives are used because gun control is so tight in this Country- I have no doubt that if it wasn’t they’d be shooting each other

Reactions: 10
I absolutely agree with this. I was 13-14 in 1978-79 and (unless your enemy phoned your landline, spoke to your mum and asked to speak to you LOL) all arguments were left at 3pm and possibly picked up again at 9am the next day, but there was that breathing space where you just couldnt contact each other (unless you went out after school), and there was no way of letting dozens of your friends know that X had pissed you off so let's all get them back at school tomorrow. Phone calls were expensive and you didnt just sit by the front door chatting on the landline to your friends all night. It gave everyone breathing space and a bit of perspective i think.
Thanks, this is exactly what I was trying to express! And if you tried being lairy at home your mum or nan would soon remind you that you weren't that impressive 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I think the issue of knife crime is a fascinating one. There is no doubt there is more gang grooming, and drugs sold by gangs (and I think it’s highly likely- far more drugs than 50 years ago?) there is a huge amount of money in drugs, which makes people reckless and violent.

however the issue as to why young people are so desperate for money? I think we have a big problem with institutional racism, and poverty. Gang grooming has been allowed to run wild, without the interventioN services that worked very well 20 years ago for operation trident.

finally I suspect it’s obvious that knives are used because gun control is so tight in this Country- I have no doubt that if it wasn’t they’d be shooting each other
I think it's to do with growing up poor/living in poor areas. Kids are constantly trying to out do each other with clothing, gadgets, social media. Some parents can't afford those things, so i feel like kids will do anything to get their hands on it. Peer pressure is also still such a huge thing. Peer pressure for me though was smoking or drinking - these days it's joining a gang, drugs, attacking someone for 'clout'

Reactions: 5
I was 14 in 1990 and when I look back it really was a different - a cliché I know.
Boys got in fights - boys always have, but there was no genuine fear for their lives.

What seems to be new for me is the constant need for disproportional reprisal over petty acts of perceived disrespect - to maintain honour and status.

That just didn't seem to be such a thing when i was growing up.

Completely separately - back to the Bernadette Walker trial. I wonder why her mother was advised not to / or refused to take the stand to defend herself? Terribly sad for all the other children in that big chaotic family. I know her brother has been active on Web Sleuths and is part of a movement that believes she could still be alive. The police were very thorough in their assessment of 'no proof of life' sadly.

• Sad
I was only 12 when it happened so I don't remember it too well at the time, but I'm looking forward to watching it. Colin Stagg's life was ruined because of the way the Met acted.

'Lizzie Jones' life was too effectively. She took early retirement about a year after it happened and was awarded compensation from the Met.
Apologies. Obviously I meant Lizzie JAMES.

There's nothing for these boys. A lot of their parents have their own issues or don't give a damn. They are failed in school due to the way it is administered by the Government. There are hardly any youth clubs and they have no money for anything. So they drink and drug to take away the pain of feeling like they are nothing. Or they get into drug dealing etc so they have money at least. Gangs at least offer a family -like structure but the drugs/alcohol remain and knives and guns are added too. I must be really hard to keep yourself out of .

The judge will always ask for a unanimous verdict in the first instance then usually reduce it to a majority verdict being acceptable at a later stage.
Oh I know....I meant that without a body I was worried one juror or more might not agree and he’d get away with it

Reactions: 2
I was 14 in 1990 and when I look back it really was a different - a cliché I know.
Boys got in fights - boys always have, but there was no genuine fear for their lives.

What seems to be new for me is the constant need for disproportional reprisal over petty acts of perceived disrespect - to maintain honour and status.

That just didn't seem to be such a thing when i was growing up.

Completely separately - back to the Bernadette Walker trial. I wonder why her mother was advised not to / or refused to take the stand to defend herself? Terribly sad for all the other children in that big chaotic family. I know her brother has been active on Web Sleuths and is part of a movement that believes she could still be alive. The police were very thorough in their assessment of 'no proof of life' sadly.
to be fair though- the boys you’re talking about in 1990 very likely weren’t drug dealers or gang members (who are groomed- no victim blaming here) it’s more than just a scrap in the playground.

Reactions: 3
to be fair though- the boys you’re talking about in 1990 very likely weren’t drug dealers or gang members (who are groomed- no victim blaming here) it’s more than just a scrap in the playground.
No they weren’t. But even with the gangs - when you hear what they commit murder for now, it’s so so petty. when did life become so cheap?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.