Real Life Crime and Murder #4 goss

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
He went to great lengths to lie to get away with it too. Made up a whole story about being blackmailed and threatened by an Eastern European gang who he owed money to for the use of prostitutes, to get another girl for them in repayment.
Also looks like he was known by the police to have been the prime suspect in the case for a few days prior to his arrest and they were watching him and that’s what led them to search the River in Sandwich etc because they saw him travel to lots of strange locations. He also sadly tried to dispose of her body through burning and was seen to purchase rubble bags 2 days after she went missing, having called into work at the Met sick with stress. He also emailed his boss afterwards asking that he no longer carry a firearm. I feel at this point he was trying to construct his psych defence for manslaughter by creating a trail of evidence of mental ill health. Fortunately psychologists completely dismissed it!

• Sad
Reactions: 14
I think he'll take his own life in prison. I just have a feeling....

An early guilty plea normally entitles you to a third off your sentence so I'm not sure if a whole life order can be given.

However, reading more, it sounds like it was premeditated and that's a huge aggravating factor.

So, aggravating factors (in my opinion) which all go to pushing up the term:

• Premeditated
• Sexually motivated
• Kidnap
• Rape
• Murder
• Breach of trust as a serving police officer

These are the sentencing guidelines for a whole life order:

"Where the offender is 21 or over at the time of the offence and the court takes the view that the murder is so grave that the offender should spend the rest of their life in prison, a 'whole life order' is the appropriate starting point. The early release provisions in section 28 of the Crime (Sentences) Act 1997 will then not apply. Such an order should only be specified where the court considers that the seriousness of the offence is exceptionally high. Such cases include:

a) the murder of two or more persons where each murder involves a substantial degree of premeditation, the abduction of the victim, or sexual or sadistic conduct;
b) the murder of a child if involving the abduction of the child or sexual or sadistic motivation;
c) a murder done for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause; or
d) a murder by an offender previously convicted of murder.

I genuinely think this counts as "exceptionally high seriousness" but that guilty plea is a spanner in the works. Do the aggravating factors completely mitigate it?
Unfortunately I agree about the suicide and I think that’s why he’s pled guilty. Prison after being a police officer must make you… interesting…. To other inmates?

Reactions: 18
Unfortunately I agree about the suicide and I think that’s why he’s pled guilty. Prison after being a police officer must make you… interesting…. To other inmates?
You’re usually put in a separate wing, away from everyone else.

Reactions: 7
He's plead guilty to murder: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/09/wayne-couzens-pleads-guilty-murdering-sarah-everard

"When arrested, Couzens admitted taking Everard, but initially denied her murder.

In a bizarre story comprised of lies, he claimed he had kidnapped Everard and then as he was driving through Kent, pulled over when his vehicle was flashed by an east European gang. He claimed they were threatening him and his family after he had underpaid for a prostitute the gang controlled and met at a Folkestone hotel weeks earlier"
What on earth?!

An early guilty plea normally entitles you to a third off your sentence so I'm not sure if a whole life order can be given.

However, reading more, it sounds like it was premeditated and that's a huge aggravating factor.

• Premeditated
• Sexually motivated
• Kidnap
• Rape
• Murder

"Where the offender is 21 or over at the time of the offence and the court takes the view that the murder is so grave that the offender should spend the rest of their life in prison, a 'whole life order' is the appropriate starting point. The early release provisions in section 28 of the Crime (Sentences) Act 1997 will then not apply. Such an order should only be specified where the court considers that the seriousness of the offence is exceptionally high. Such cases include:

a) the murder of two or more persons where each murder involves a substantial degree of premeditation, the abduction of the victim, or sexual or sadistic conduct;
b) the murder of a child if involving the abduction of the child or sexual or sadistic motivation;
c) a murder done for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause; or

I genuinely think this counts as "exceptionally high seriousness" but that guilty plea is a spanner in the works. Do the aggravating factors completely mitigate it?
I wonder as the case is quite high profile they will push for a whole life order? Considering the lack of trust within the Police a whole life order would do well to regain some trust.

I wonder as the case is quite high profile they will push for a whole life order? Considering the lack of trust within the Police a whole life order would do well to regain some trust.
I think the prosecution will but, ultimately, it's down to the judge and he has a lot to weigh up. What he absolutely doesn't want to do is award a whole life order and then it gets reduced on appeal. He also cannot take public opinion and the media high profile of the case into consideration in his sentencing.

I've not heard of him before but he is very senior. Probably why he got the case.

Sentencing is 29th September.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I think the prosecution will but, ultimately, it's down to the judge and he has a lot to weigh up. What he absolutely doesn't want to do is award a whole life order and then it gets reduced on appeal. He also cannot take public opinion and the media high profile of the case into consideration in his sentencing.
Thanks for replying and your original post is so informative! Do you have a career in criminal justice or just have an interest?

• Heart

• Premeditated
• Sexually motivated
• Kidnap
• Rape
• Murder

I agree, I think he will too. Excellent points about the life sentencing. He probably knows that admitting his guilt is going to ensure he doesn’t spend the remainder of his days in prison. That or like you said, he will commit suicide.

I've not heard of him before but he is very senior. Probably why he got the case.

Sentencing is 29th September.
Imagine being on jury duty in this case though. You won’t be able to zone out even for a second! I imagine there will be so much evidence to discuss

Thanks for replying and your original post is so informative! Do you have a career in criminal justice or just have an interest?
No, just an interest I'm afraid. I like to understand how the judge's come to their decisions and the constraints they have to work with (sentencing guidelines) so I educated myself.

Honestly, the judges get so much flack from the Facebook vigilantes and Daily Mail maniacs 🙄 but remember they usually see these defendants at very close quarters over several months especially if there is a trial. When you read their sentencing remarks (they are published in high profile cases) they are so in depth and show that they really have the measure of these people. I bet they would love to be handing out massive sentences and whole life orders to some of the scumbags they see but they can't, as they would just be appealed, and that costs time and money and undermines the justice system.

I agree, I think he will too. Excellent points about the life sentencing. He probably knows that admitting his guilt is going to ensure he doesn’t spend the remainder of his days in prison. That or like you said, he will commit suicide.

Imagine being on jury duty in this case though. You won’t be able to zone out even for a second! I imagine there will be so much evidence to discuss
It's just me thinking aloud really. I personally think the case warrants a whole life order because of all the aggravating factors and, if he did try and burn her body, that's another you can add in there. I think everything added up makes the guilty plea irrelevant.

"Aggravating factors that may be relevant include:

a) a significant degree of planning or premeditation ✔
b) the victim was vulnerable because of age or disability
c) mental or physical suffering inflicted on the victim before death ✔
d) the abuse of a position of trust ✔
e) the use of duress or threats against another person to facilitate the commission of the offence
f) the victim was providing a public service or performing a public duty
g) concealment, destruction or dismemberment of the body ✔ "

I've ticked the ones that I think apply here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
I can’t find the mugshot on Tiktok, but is this court drawing reflective of it? She must have really fought bless her :(

C713662F-F5B0-4919-B58C-0528C84544F4.jpeg

Reactions: 1
I can’t find the mugshot on Tiktok, but is this court drawing reflective of it? She must have really fought bless her :(

View attachment 654853
I believe that was where he had banged his head on the wall whilst in custody? Bastard, he really went to the lengths of telling an elaborate lie too. I can see now why the wife may have got caught up in it if he has also told her the same story and she had perhaps conveyed that to the police. If he had scratch marks on him she must have asked where they came from.

• Sad
Reactions: 10

View attachment 654853
No, he did that head injury to himself whilst he was in custody.

I haven't seen the mugshot either, and had a good look earlier, but I would take anything seen on TikTok with a grain of salt until it's officially released.

EDIT: Here it is. I can't see any bite marks or scratches.

A6274C73-5F8C-4F23-A23C-4B8F977D5CCE.jpeg

From the BBC report:

"Judge Lord Justice Fulford - who before adjourning the case discussed legal precedents for whole-life prison sentences - told the court: "This has been a mammoth investigation which has produced some very significant results in terms of being able to understand what happened."

So he's obviously thinking about a whole life order (probably because the prosecution have indicted that's what they'll be seeking)

https:/:www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57774597.amp

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
No, just an interest I'm afraid. I like to understand how the judge's come to their decisions and the constraints they have to work with (sentencing guidelines) so I educated myself.

Honestly, the judges get so much flack from the Facebook vigilantes and Daily Mail maniacs 🙄 but remember they usually see these defendants at very close quarters over several months especially if there is a trial. When you read their sentencing remarks (they are published in high profile cases) they are so in depth and show that they really have the measure of these people. I bet they would love to be handing out massive sentences and whole life orders to some of the scumbags they see but they can't, as they would just be appealed, and that costs time and money and undermines the justice system.
Well, I love to see your opinion! I've never really thought of it from a judges view before and had no idea what they go through, so thank you :)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Mark Hobson (who killed his gf, her sister, and another couple) pleaded guilty to the murders and was given a whole life tariff. He did appeal on the grounds that as he admitted it straight away, and had pleaded guilty at the trail, so he should not be given a whole life tariff, but the Court of Appeal dismissed that.

Reactions: 10
Well, I love to see your opinion! I've never really thought of it from a judges view before and had no idea what they go through, so thank you :)
Thanks, you've made my day ☺

You can read sentencing remarks here if you're interested:

Mark Hobson (who killed his gf, her sister, and another couple) pleaded guilty to the murders and was given a whole life tariff. He did appeal on the grounds that as he admitted it straight away, and had pleaded guilty at the trail, so he should not be given a whole life tariff, but the Court of Appeal dismissed that.
Interesting, thanks for that. That was four murders though so I'm not surprised he was told to sling his hook!

PC Wayne Couzens, 48, pleads guilty to Sarah Everard's murder

#

he’s being investigated for other sex crimes and also 12 officers have been served with gross misconduct notices related to him and the case

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I am!!! I am so sorry. I’ve only seen the photo once and it scared me then! Happily delete my post, I’m so sorry.
Oh my love don’t apologise it’s an easy mistake to make! Ch4 news ran his mug shot and it’s in the mail today, I’m putting it behind a spoiler because I don’t think he deserves the attention or notoriety and as always RIP Sarah xx

5D65ACFF-97C1-4486-8EDE-8A192D5B736B.png

A weird thing to speculate on so apologies but does anyone else think surely this can’t have been his first murder? I get that he worked for the police so would know how to be forensically deceptive but just struggle to believe you could go from nothing to everything I read yesterday, renting a car out and covering it in plastic etc etc?!

Reactions: 13
Oh my love don’t apologise it’s an easy mistake to make! Ch4 news ran his mug shot and it’s in the mail today, I’m putting it behind a spoiler because I don’t think he deserves the attention or notoriety and as always RIP Sarah xx

A weird thing to speculate on so apologies but does anyone else think surely this can’t have been his first murder? I get that he worked for the police so would know how to be forensically deceptive but just struggle to believe you could go from nothing to everything I read yesterday, renting a car out and covering it in plastic etc etc?!
I’m sure I read somewhere his wife is a forensic scientist too, not that she had anything to do with it but he may have picked up on some ways to avoid being detected from coversations etc

• Heart
Reactions: 6
thank you for this. I’ve been very interested in this case, very detailed. So sad
Some court evidence, such as CCTV of his movements, has also been made public and will be available for a short period. Not sure if the link is included in that release but I think I may still have it.

Edit
This happened in my part of London so it surprised me that he was arrested in S. London because the open space is not somewhere one would visit at random. Of course, the link was his grandparents house, we now know.

The only other thing I noticed was that the handwriting on the note changes. There looks to be two different styles.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.