Real Life Crime and Murder #4 goss

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

If she's not a relative, which seems doubtful, this seems to have a cuckooing situation/some kind of drug related angle written all over it as the victim is described as vulnerable.

But how did she get her to Devon? Most drug addicts don't have a car. Surely she must have had help?

This one is definitely on my list.

• Sad
Reactions: 7

If she's not a relative, which seems doubtful, this seems to have a cuckooing situation/some kind of drug related angle written all over it as the victim is described as vulnerable.

But how did she get her to Devon? Most drug addicts don't have a car. Surely she must have had help?

This one is definitely on my list.
It’s really odd isn’t it. What do you mean by cuckooing? And what makes you think drugs? Thanks

Reactions: 3
Maybe I’m naturally suspicious, but when I read they’d bought “a piece of land” in 2019, and SE was found very close I instantly thought ah ok, was this land going to end up being the ideal dump site for more. I do believe if he’d have got away with this he’d have struck again. Classic start off flashing, probably done some sex attacks and then Sarah he went further. The kicks he’d have got, there’s no doubt in my mind his cockiness would have continued.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
It’s really odd isn’t it. What do you mean by cuckooing? And what makes you think drugs? Thanks
Cuckooing is where (usually) a county lines drug gang move in with an addict - they take over the place and use it as a base and "thank" the addict with free drugs. A cuckoo in the nest so to speak.

But I'm thinking more something like this scenario - Jemma Mitchell was the addict and somehow befriended and moved in with the victim, as basically somewhere to stay, and then, in these types of situation, they end up becoming violent, leaving the victim terrified, and stealing all their money from them. It's still classed as cuckooing - just on a smaller scale.

Just my day to day experience of following trials makes me think it's drugs related. Because it usually is. And the fact the victim is described as vulnerable and trusting.

It's just the body ending up in Devon that is throwing me off completely.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
Cuckooing is where (usually) a county lines drug gang move in with an addict - they take over the place and use it as a base and "thank" the addict with free drugs. A cuckoo in the nest so to speak.

But I'm thinking more something like this scenario - Jemma Mitchell was the addict and somehow befriended and moved in with the victim, as basically somewhere to stay, and then, in these types of situation, they end up becoming violent, leaving the victim terrified, and stealing all their money from them. It's still classed as cuckooing - just on a smaller scale.

Just my day to day experience of following trials makes me think it's drugs related. Because it usually is. And the fact the victim is described as vulnerable and trusting.

Ah ok thank you! I remember a vulnerable alcoholic lady who was killed my teenage girls who had pretty much taken over her flat. Her landlord seemed so supportive despite all the trouble it all caused him, I really thought how lovely he was for all the extra support he gave her.

Reactions: 5

It’s also a very long journey to travel with a dead body. Unless she kidnapped her and killed her there?

Reactions: 3
It’s also a very long journey to travel with a dead body. Unless she kidnapped her and killed her there?
Yeah, it's so strange. It seems like the victim was identified pretty quickly, despite being decapitated, so was she in the police system? If so, why? Or did the person who left her there leave something that could ID her? Bit of a rookie mistake to make if you go to the trouble of dismembering the body then leaving their passport with them! Maybe it was the victim's car and it was stolen. But why Devon?

It's piqued my interest for sure.

Maybe I’m naturally suspicious, but when I read they’d bought “a piece of land” in 2019, and SE was found very close I instantly thought ah ok, was this land going to end up being the ideal dump site for more. I do believe if he’d have got away with this he’d have struck again. Classic start off flashing, probably done some sex attacks and then Sarah he went further. The kicks he’d have got, there’s no doubt in my mind his cockiness would have continued.
Trigger warning - SA

Agreed completely. Would be interesting to know if there were any outbuildings on this land or high coverage areas tbh as it could be somewhere he intended to take living victims to carry out prolonged periods of assaults. Levi Bellfield used to keep victims for days at a time iirc.

The very weird Eastern European prostitution story makes me think he’s potentially harmed one of those women in the past, maybe he had plans to take one there and harm her or maybe he’s done it before. Like others have said you just don’t escalate from flashing to murder in a couple of days.

Reactions: 6
Forgive me for being a bit stupid, but now he has pleaded guilty will there any be trial at all? So he can give his version of events? Or will it just go straight to sentencing?

Reactions: 2
Forgive me for being a bit stupid, but now he has pleaded guilty will there any be trial at all? So he can give his version of events? Or will it just go straight to sentencing?
No trial. Straight to sentencing on 29th September.

At the sentencing, the prosecution will outline their case against him and push for a whole life order I suspect. They will be at pains to point out all of the aggravating factors. His defence will then mitigate for him so we may get to hear a version of events from him (via them) at that point. I think the judge will say the only mitigating factor is the early guilty pleas.

Then the judge will probably go away for a little while to think about everything that's been said (although he will have already written his sentencing remarks and probably decided the term beforehand as I believe the prosecution and defence have to submit everything they're planning to say to him before the hearing) and then come back and deliver the sentence.

The case is very high profile so the sentencing remarks will be published so we can all read them.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Sorry to take this thread back a few pages - I’m almost finished watching the Sophie Toscan du Plantier Netflix doc.
Ian Bailey is such an odd character. I am fairly convinced that he did it for multiple reasons - known to be violent, had facts about the case before they were known to the public, desperate to place it on the assassin theory etc.
Also just the way he is in the documentary - the detail he goes into and his general demeanour just come across as someone who is blatantly lying. It actually reminded me of when I was a teenager and would try to get away with a lie by telling an elaborate story, with the logic “there’s so much detail, it must seem genuine!”

It seems that everyone else interviewed in west cork also believes he did it. I find it bizarre that he has chosen to stay there. The locals must be very cold to him, it must be an awful way to live. Unless he has stayed there due to extradition reasons? Would he be able to be extradited to France if he returned to England?
From my experience Ireland is a very small place and moving to another town there, his story would simply follow him. Would be much easier to relocate to a different place in England/some other country entirely to try to get some normalcy again.
Saying that, maybe he felt that moving would come across as a way of confessing or admitting defeat.

Sorry just rambling here, would be interested to hear others thoughts though!

Reactions: 2
Sorry to take this thread back a few pages - I’m almost finished watching the Sophie Toscan du Plantier Netflix doc.
Ian Bailey is such an odd character. I am fairly convinced that he did it for multiple reasons - known to be violent, had facts about the case before they were known to the public, desperate to place it on the assassin theory etc.
Also just the way he is in the documentary - the detail he goes into and his general demeanour just come across as someone who is blatantly lying. It actually reminded me of when I was a teenager and would try to get away with a lie by telling an elaborate story, with the logic “there’s so much detail, it must seem genuine!”

It seems that everyone else interviewed in west cork also believes he did it. I find it bizarre that he has chosen to stay there. The locals must be very cold to him, it must be an awful way to live. Unless he has stayed there due to extradition reasons? Would be able to be extradited to France if he returned to England?
From my experience Ireland is a very small place and moving to another town there, his story would simply follow him. Would be much easier to relocate to a different place in England/some other country entirely to try to get some normalcy again.
Saying that, maybe he felt that moving would come across as a way of confessing or admitting defeat.

Sorry just rambling here, would be interested to hear others thoughts though!
There’s a thread on this if you want to come on over! The Netflix documentary is biased in my opinion.. it was made by Sophie’s family, there’s another documentary “murder at the cottage” and a podcast “west cork” they give more details.. the guards are a lot more corrupt than is shown in the Netflix one

There’s a thread on this if you want to come on over! The Netflix documentary is biased in my opinion.. it was made by Sophie’s family, there’s another documentary “murder at the cottage” and a podcast “west cork” they give more details.. the guards are a lot more corrupt than is shown in the Netflix one
Thankyou, will pop on over! I actually watched the doc because my mum recently listened to the podcast and recommended it, but my phone was playing up and wouldn’t load the podcast. I’ll watch the other doc and also sort out my phone and listen to the podcast!

Thankyou, will pop on over! I actually watched the doc because my mum recently listened to the podcast and recommended it, but my phone was playing up and wouldn’t load the podcast. I’ll watch the other doc and also sort out my phone and listen to the podcast!
It’s very interesting there’s a lot that doesn’t add up all around.. I don’t think we’ll ever know the truth..

Can you post the link to the thread or give me the name I can't find it!! I'm obsessed with this case!!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.