Real Life Crime and Murder #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry to go back to the death row conversation. I have a friend on death row. He had been in Chilicothe, Ohio for 25 years. He is very much a human. I have visited him twice. I am certainly not in love with him. I have children and a husband. He is just a friend. A very dear, sweet human. A side of which society never got to see as he was sentenced agreed 20.

We have never talked about his crime.
If you're up for talking about it or even giving us a clue on how we can find out who he is, i won't judge anyway. I mean 20 is such a young age, and America doesn't believe in rehabilitation it seems. I don't think the state killing them is justice either, I think people who commit the worst crimes (in any country) should be sentenced to life.

Reactions: 8
Nicholas Rossi is a twit who should be made to walk without the oxygen tank. He needs to face up to his actions of what he has done to numerous women.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
If you're up for talking about it or even giving us a clue on how we can find out who he is, i won't judge anyway. I mean 20 is such a young age, and America doesn't believe in rehabilitation it seems. I don't think the state killing them is justice either, I think people who commit the worst crimes (in any country) should be sentenced to life.
His name is James Goff. I never really google him but I do have this link saved from his most recent appeal.

We rarely talk about his crime. Only when the appeal was going on. I have never asked him if he is guilty or not. I have written to him for 15 years. He had seen me through 3 pregnancies, four international house moves and a whole load of life in-between. I send him photos every month and always tell him of the news and stuff. He knitted baby blankets for all of my children. I am unwell but i hope to get well enough to visit him.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
His name is James Goff. I never really google him but I do have this link saved from his most recent appeal.

We rarely talk about his crime. Only when the appeal was going on. I have never asked him if he is guilty or not. I have written to him for 15 years. He had seen me through 3 pregnancies, four international house moves and a whole load of life in-between. I send him photos every month and always tell him of the news and stuff. He knitted baby blankets for all of my children. I am unwell but i hope to get well enough to visit him.
Well I have googled him, just as I suspect everyone reading this thread will have by now.

So from what I can gather he, with premeditation, stabbed to death a defenceless 88 year old woman, for the price of a fix of crack. A woman who had already paid him to deliver her furniture. A women who he identified as vulnerable, like a true predator, and whom he returned to under cover of darkness because of his greed for more money. He stabbed her over a dozen times and left her dead and naked for her own daughter to find. He then made great efforts to cover up his tracks.

Detailed account here.

It’s your business who you are friends with. That is nothing to do with me. But my god, it would take a shitload of baby blankets for me to overlook that.

• Heart
Reactions: 60
I must admit I’m surprised someone ended up on death row for killing one person. Even for America that seems excessive. Wonder what it was about his crime?

Reactions: 6
Sorry to go back to the death row conversation. I have a friend on death row. He had been in Chilicothe, Ohio for 25 years. He is very much a human. I have visited him twice. I am certainly not in love with him. I have children and a husband. He is just a friend. A very dear, sweet human. A side of which society never got to see as he was sentenced agreed 20.

I googled him. Sweet human is not how I would describe him. Society never got to see a different side to him because he stabbed an 88 year old lady to death for a bag of crack cocaine at the age of 20.
I will never understand how you can be friends with someone so hideous.

Reactions: 37
I must admit I’m surprised someone ended up on death row for killing one person. Even for America that seems excessive. Wonder what it was about his crime?
You don't need to kill multiple people to be on death row. I don't actually agree with the death penalty but I definitely think his crime fits the requirements. Brutally killing an 88 year old woman. Disgusting.

Reactions: 14

Thanks for sharing this it’s really interesting. I’ve written to someone through the death row support project before.
If you don’t mind me asking, do you talk about him to your friends and family? Appreciate this is anonymous so you might feel more comfortable speaking about your friendship with him here but not in real life?

Reactions: 4

So you weren’t friends prior to his crime then?
What makes someone decide to write to someone on Death Row? Genuine question because I honestly don‘t understand why anyone would choose to write to a complete stranger who had been found guilty of a crime like that.

Reactions: 22
So you weren’t friends prior to his crime then?
What makes someone decide to write to someone on Death Row? Genuine question because I honestly don‘t understand why anyone would choose to write to a complete stranger who had been found guilty of a crime like that.
Can’t answer for the other lady but I have written to someone on death row before. I heard about the project when I was doing my A levels, my RS teacher was a nun who was really passionate about it. She didn’t exactly encourage it but the way she told us about it made me want to look into it. Not everyone on death row is evil and to put it really simply, they are still humans 🤷🏼‍♀️

Can’t answer for the other lady but I have written to someone on death row before. I heard about the project when I was doing my A levels, my RS teacher was a nun who was really passionate about it. She didn’t exactly encourage it but the way she told us about it made me want to look into it. Not everyone on death row is evil and to put it really simply, they are still humans 🤷🏼‍♀️
Surely if they are on death row, they've killed someone?

Reactions: 15
Surely if they are on death row, they've killed someone?
Not always, but yeah most of them have killed someone. It’s not always murder though. And most definitely isn’t always the classic serial killer/ psychotic killing we assume

Not always, but yeah most of them have killed someone. It’s not always murder though. And most definitely isn’t always the classic serial killer/ psychotic killing we assume
I assumed death row was just for murderers. Learn something new every day!

It’s a fascinating subject and while I wouldn’t personally be making friendships with anyone serving it, I won’t judge anyone who does

Reactions: 10
I've thought about writing to people in prison. This thread has made me decide to look into it again. Thank you.

• Heart
Years ago writing to death row prisoners was part of the syllabus of some courses. It was absolutely talked about in schools etc. So too was writing to those in the army. So in my GCSE year I dutifully wrote to a nice young lad called Rick (18/19). My mate ended up writing to him as well and they had a 'thing' for a while. This lead to me (aged 15) travelling to Liverpool for the weekend to stay with him (at his parents house). I ended up enjoying some 'heavy petting' with his friend Ben.

Quite honestly, now I'm a parent the whole thing is horrifying. It seems totally mental that this was a school encouraged thing. It was so dangerous.

I can't remember his surname these days. I hope it comes back to me. They lived in Gateacre.

Edited to add, no my parents had no idea what I was doing. I said I was staying at my school friend's house.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Is there a specific non-evil way to commit pre-meditated murder?
---
Pre-meditation. He delivered furniture, to the old ladies house, saw how vulnerable she was, systematically scoped out the whole property and returned armed with an anglers knife to rob her. And he admitted to his friends he planned to murder her because she recognised him. He then executed a detailed plan to cover his tracks and made extreme efforts to clean the scene, hardly the act of a person who lost his temper and killed in the moment.

All for the price of a fix of crack.

I’m desperately trying to find some mitigation here but I’ve got to admit I’m really struggling. As did the jury, the judge at the original trial who handed diwn the sentence, and at least two other appeal judges who have found no error in law, and no reason to overturn the conviction or sentence.

Knits a mean baby blanket though…….

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
I think there's a big difference between writing out of some morbid curiosity and keeping in mind what the person has done and actively pursuing a friendship or even relationship in some cases with someone who has done something so terrible.

Well I'm not going to judge you @ordinaryjelly and I commend you for seeing the humanity behind the crime.

One thing I would be interested in is has he ever expressed remorse for what he did?

I'm sure he's a nice guy and you can see a side to him beyond his crime but I don't think I could do it.

Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.