Real Life Crime and Murder #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That's incredibly generous of the families.
I don’t think the families had a choice in the outcome of his trial?
I would feel heartbroken if my loved one was brutally murdered and the perpetrator only admitted to manslaughter and then ended up in a high-security psychiatric hospital. It doesn’t seem like punishment enough for me.
---
Some people are too mentally ill and too dangerous to be out in the community.
But we drastically reduced our mental health accommodation where people stayed long term and in safety and instead given bull about ‘care in the community’.

Reactions: 13
Thank you on behalf of everyone you helped. At one point I was so out of it I arrived at my GP in tears after making an emergency appointment. When I got to reception I couldn't even think straight enough to sign into the online check-in screen. I'll never forget that the reception staff came over and logged me in, then one of them used my first name when she was chatting away to me. At the time hearing my name was the first point in ages I remembered I was a person under all the sadness. I suppose looking back she clocked my name to check on my notes I was getting all the follow up I needed etc. Could never, ever fault services in my area.
I am so glad you got the care that you needed. ❤
---
Has anyone watched American Nightmare on Netflix? Just about to start episode 2 and not sure what to think so far!
Really enjoyed it - a real rollercoaster!

• Heart
Reactions: 2

I thought this might happens. Apparently the families were consulted about the decision. We need more mental health funding in this country.
Poor Grace was absolutely stunning, she had the world at her feet with a medical background family. Saw an interview with her brother, he was devastated :(

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I would feel heartbroken if my loved one was brutally murdered and the perpetrator only admitted to manslaughter and then ended up in a high-security psychiatric hospital. It doesn’t seem like punishment enough for me.
---

But we drastically reduced our mental health accommodation where people stayed long term and in safety and instead given bull about ‘care in the community’.
I don't agree. He can't leave and is basically in prison but with hopefully the additional treatment that he needs. Broadmoor is a psychiatric hospital and is arguably a more terrifying place to be than a regular prison.

Reactions: 19
I agree it doesn't seem like punishment enough. It's very likely if he plays the game he'll be out in less time than he would serve for manslaughter in prison. And he'll probably do it again.

An example is Nicola Edgington. Killed her own mother in 2005, spent less than 3 years in a secure facility then was deemed safe to be released. Which of course she wasn't, and 2 years later she murdered again.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
I don’t know about him ‘playing the game’. He is clearly a very sick man and prison is not the right place for him. A secure psychiatric hospital isn’t exactly a walk in the park but it will ensure that he also gets the help he needs which wouldn’t happen in prison. He is still being punished and losing his liberty.

Reading about how hard Grace O’Malley-Kumar fought to save her friend is utterly heartbreaking.

• Sad
Reactions: 25
---

I know someone whose son was killed by someone who ended up in a high-security psychiatric hospital.

She thought it was the right choice, that it’s not fair to unilaterally punish someone who was suffering and unable to control their actions while also ensuring they were safely locked away from people and potentially able to get the treatment they needed to rehabilitate if it was possible for them.

Not sure I’d be as compassionate but from the angle of never having been in that position, her logic makes a lot of sense.

As for fakers I imagine if you weren’t in a position to need that, a high-security psychiatric facility where you’re surrounded by others who are probably some of the most disturbingly mentally ill people in the country would be worse than a prison.

Reactions: 20
I don't think he's faking as such, he clearly has significant MH issues, but I am sceptical in his case (and in others) that those issues meant he had no capacity for rational thought/ that he wasn't in control of his actions. So it should be a murder conviction and a life sentence.

Alternatively, if his mental illness is so severe that he needs to be in a secure facility, in my view that should also be a life sentence. Not 3 or 5 years which is an absolute insult to the victims.

Reactions: 10
Very tragic story for all involved. I'm sure he'll spend a very long time in a psychiatric unit, maybe never released.
Some people shouldn’t live in society - this man being one of them. Another which comes to mind is that man who pushed the little boy out the window at the Tate Modern.
---

Authorities suggest that only the most exceptional circumstances of intentional strangulation warrant a custodial sentence.

“My conclusion is that there is another way of dealing with this young man.

“He grabbed the victim by her neck and strangled her until she couldn’t breathe, that must have been terrifying for her.

“It is clearly an unhealthy relationship.”

Unhealthy relationship?! He attacked her to the point she couldn’t breathe.

I am shocked by this. Given how little time it could take for someone to die from this and how utterly terrifying it must be, I’m gobsmacked that he got a suspended sentence and that it seems to be the norm not to go to prison for this!!
Women’s lives are cheap
---
Anybody following the Jennifer Dulos case? The husband committed suicide but the trial of his then girlfriend has started.
Not heard of this case so did a read on Wikipedia. Terrible for the children having lost their mother and with their father killing himself they have potentially lost the answers for why he did it and where she is

Reactions: 11
---

Being on a prison section & in a high security psychiatric facility isn’t a lighter option.
---
Mentally ill enough to not be able to stop himself killing 3 people, yet not so mentally ill that he didn't back off when the guy in the hostel punched him in the face.
If I was the family of any of the victims I'd want him convicted of murder.
Psychotic disorders do not make sense by nature. The guy that punched him could have given him a sign that he shouldn’t be killed, was he on a mission? The report does not state why he committed these acts only that he has paranoid schizophrenia.
I do wonder why he was not enforced an antipsychotic depo as he was known to be non-compliant with his medication. Most of his sections were caused by him not taking his medication, thus making him unwell.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
Anybody following the Jennifer Dulos case? The husband committed suicide but the trial of his then girlfriend has started.
I haven't been following it but did notice that 2 or 3 of the jurors have been removed? I saw one about how the juror apparently told the prosecutor "we love you." 🥴 IDK why some jurors can't keep their mouths shut - both during AND after the trial 🙄

Reactions: 4
Being on a prison section & in a high security psychiatric facility isn’t a lighter option.
---

Psychotic disorders do not make sense by nature. The guy that punched him could have given him a sign that he shouldn’t be killed, was he on a mission? The report does not state why he committed these acts only that he has paranoid schizophrenia.
Maybe, or maybe not.

My personal view is that he should be detained for life, whether in prison or elsewhere. However there's every chance that if someone assesses him as fine, and he says he'll keep taking his medication - which he probably won't - he'll be back on the streets in a few years.

Reactions: 8
I know. And I think a lot of people look back at the time when people were customarily living “locked up in institutions” as if those were the bad old days, and we’re so much more humane and enlightened now. But is it really? We have dangerously mentally ill people in the community like ticking time bombs, and also extremely vulnerable mentally ill people just barely surviving and unable to get the support they need.

Reactions: 14
I don't think places like Broadmoor are a walk in the park especially years ago. Tom Hardy played Charles Bronson and asked him about Broadmoor so he could get it right. I don't think he will be released anytime soon, its a hard one for me. I've been in some dark places but I've always taken my medication, as soon as he stopped that then that was it. Thats his personal responsibility though, and i feel he went armed with a knife and there was intention there to murder. He was sectioned 4 times and because of the lack of funding and spaces he was released back into the community. I take my hat off to people who work in the MH field, making hard decisions each day. If the care was available in the community then he might have been monitored better. The say lessons will be learnt but the government say that everytime this happens.

Reactions: 8
I know. And I think a lot of people look back at the time when people were customarily living “locked up in institutions” as if those were the bad old days, and we’re so much more humane and enlightened now. But is it really? We have dangerously mentally ill people in the community like ticking time bombs, and also extremely vulnerable mentally ill people just barely surviving and unable to get the support they need.
I agree. For decades the mantra has been around care in the community, regardless of whichever party was in power, and it clearly isn't working and hasn't worked for years if ever. Even if you increase funding for existing MH services, although you should then have more resource and opportunity to assist those who actively request help, it will still be impossible to prevent people from stopping their medication and becoming a danger to themselves and others.

Reactions: 6
There's been a case in Scotland. Seems the husband has stabbed the wife to death then stabbed himself in the heart.

The couple had become grandparents last year.

You have to wonder what goes through the minds of these men 😢😢😢
May not be in this case, but usually the wife is either going to leave, or is gaining independence and freedom and the man feels threatened.

I have my friends told for similar reason that if I die in any circumstances in the next year or so to make sure they know it may not have been an accident

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I also don’t get why he was allowed to plead to manslaughter and not murder. He was looking for people to kill. And if he was so ill he couldn’t control his actions how on earth was he able to operate a van

Reactions: 5
Mental health professional here. Time after time we are abused and told services are useless. I always endeavour to do the best for my patients. When I worked in a community mental health team, work was almost always on my mind - to the point my mental health broke! The people on the frontline are not the issue - the governments are. Currently in the throes of ‘grip and control’ (no spending on non essentials like training or equipment required to deliver the service digitally) due to a massive overspend by other areas within my health board.
Police refusing to attend mental health incidents - 4 lives could have been saved in Norfolk. The whole system is f*cked . It’s so terribly sad.

For me, I think the problem lies with those in charge.
The staff who deal with the patients / vulnerable people, I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who actually doesn't care, most of them do their absolute best with the system we (Ireland) have. And yet theyre the ones that some people feel should receive the abuse and be the target of their understandable anger and emotion. But they are not the ones who make the decisions, procedures, rules or funding.

Any time I've ever made a complaint with our disability teams, I've always prefaced it with "this isn't directed at you guys, because you are all great and doing your best for us, this is for those in charge"

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.