Quitting a job with no job lined up

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just after a bit of advice!

has anyone ever quit their job without having another job lined up? I really hate my job and have a 2 month notice period. I’ve been applying for a few jobs and been offered a few interviews but not found anything suitable. Everyone always says ‘it’s easier to get a job once you’re in a job’ but I almost think not having a job would give me more drive to find another one 😭
What employers don’t like is gaps in your CV and at interview they will want to know why you left. If you can give them a cock and bull story about the gap, fair enough, but some employers are a bit funny about things like that.

At least you have two months to find another job. Good luck and I hope one comes along soon.

Reactions: 2
I've just handed in my notice
I'll be finished at the end of this month.
I'm being bullied at work and just can't cope anymore. Hopefully I'll get something else soon.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I finally quit my job that I hated, I had my last day on Friday. Now frantically looking for new jobs but feeling completely stress free so it’s amazing.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I've just handed in my notice
I'll be finished at the end of this month.
I'm being bullied at work and just can't cope anymore. Hopefully I'll get something else soon.
I finally quit my job that I hated, I had my last day on Friday. Now frantically looking for new jobs but feeling completely stress free so it’s amazing.
good for both of you! i'm sure something will come up, your mental health is more important than a job 💛

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I have done it twice. Both times I knew I had a bit of a back up plan so would still have somewhere to live if I had to be unemployed for a while. It did pay off and on the first time I temped for 2 weeks bridge the gap between the two roles and the second time I was just unemployed for 2 weeks.

I do think it's risky as you also have to be sure that you're going to find that drive to job hunt once you've resigned. Not everyone is that proactive and if you haven't shown that drive so far, can you be sure you'll find it once the pressure is on and you're panicking/stressed?

And are you willing to take a completely different job or a temp job to make sure you have income if it's not working out?

Also if the job market for the sort of role you're looking for is really bad at the moment and there are no jobs out there, I don't think it's worth the risk.

Reactions: 1
Just after a bit of advice!

has anyone ever quit their job without having another job lined up? I really hate my job and have a 2 month notice period. I’ve been applying for a few jobs and been offered a few interviews but not found anything suitable. Everyone always says ‘it’s easier to get a job once you’re in a job’ but I almost think not having a job would give me more drive to find another one 😭
I did it and I’m so happy I did! I would have always thought the same and needed the security of a full time job but I was working with a horrible manager for over a year and I had turned into a nervous wreck. I went on a mission to save up a small bit of money as a buffer and swiftly handed in my notice and wish I had done it sooner. The satisfaction and relief is unbelievable. I was unemployed for about 6 weeks and went on the job hunt straight away. I thought that no one would hire me because I wasn’t in a job but I think for the most part times have changed and employers are more understanding now that someone may be out of work for one reason or another. Once you can show enthusiasm and the skills you have you will be fine. My advice would be to get in touch with a reputable recruitment agency too as they can really sell your profile to an employer. It will work out for you and don’t worry what people and/or future employers might think about a small gap of unemployment x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’ve recently finished my job-hunting process. I quit my job because it was horrible and the pressure was huge for little pay. I was having panic attacks in the mornings and ended up with moderate depression.

It was a bit scary to be out of work with no pay. We relied on my other half’s wages and we claimed for JSA and that helped a little bit. All in all, it took 2 and 1/2 months, 42 applications and 5 interviews before I was offered a new job.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I'd personally not leave without another job lined up. Too risky that I'd be unemployed for a while. I've done it in the past and thankfully it only took me 2 weeks to find a new one but with the pandemic, I'm not sure you'd be so lucky.

As much as you hate it I recommend sticking it out until you find a new job unless it's affecting your mental health drastically.

I’ve done it. Left a job I hated and went to a new one which ended up not being anything like what they told me it was in the interview. The hours were ridiculous and there was no training. I did it for a couple of weeks then quit. My mental health was in the gutter. Luckily it only took me 2 months to find a new job.

Reactions: 4