Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Cats_eyes

Chatty Member
I quit my job a year ago after 6 yrs, currently unemployed. I absolutely love it tbh. Ive worked solid since I've left school. I've always saved money, so thankfully it ain't a massive stress. I've learned lots about what I like doing baking, gardening, Blogging, photography, selling cakes, I have 2 volunteer jobs. I learned how to sleep. I really hated my job it was my entire life, so much unnecessary stress. If you can save some money and try take some time away from work do it!! For as long as possible. Enjoy your life and try to chill with the spending.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

Lico

Chatty Member
I've just handed in my notice
I'll be finished at the end of this month.
I'm being bullied at work and just can't cope anymore. Hopefully I'll get something else soon.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

cushtybert

VIP Member
I finally quit my job that I hated, I had my last day on Friday. Now frantically looking for new jobs but feeling completely stress free so it’s amazing.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Melier

VIP Member
Just after a bit of advice!

has anyone ever quit their job without having another job lined up? I really hate my job and have a 2 month notice period. I’ve been applying for a few jobs and been offered a few interviews but not found anything suitable. Everyone always says ‘it’s easier to get a job once you’re in a job’ but I almost think not having a job would give me more drive to find another one 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 8

bolimepipi

VIP Member
I've just handed in my notice
I'll be finished at the end of this month.
I'm being bullied at work and just can't cope anymore. Hopefully I'll get something else soon.
I finally quit my job that I hated, I had my last day on Friday. Now frantically looking for new jobs but feeling completely stress free so it’s amazing.
good for both of you! i'm sure something will come up, your mental health is more important than a job 💛

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Sally1993

Chatty Member
I’ve recently finished my job-hunting process. I quit my job because it was horrible and the pressure was huge for little pay. I was having panic attacks in the mornings and ended up with moderate depression.

It was a bit scary to be out of work with no pay. We relied on my other half’s wages and we claimed for JSA and that helped a little bit. All in all, it took 2 and 1/2 months, 42 applications and 5 interviews before I was offered a new job.

• Heart
Yes, it was absolutely the best decision I’ve made. My mental health was suffering dreadfully, I had a 3 month notice period and like you, the thought of doing a single day would create unbearable anxiety.

I had ran the numbers first though and worked out how long we could survive on a single income. Luckily I got a job offer whilst serving my notice so it worked out well but there’s no guarantee.

I actually took a slight step down in my new role (I used to manage people in my previous role, now I just have 2 dotted line reports) and that also helped with my mental health. If I’d gone into a more senior or equally senior role straight away I don’t think my resilience would have been strong enough. Please think about how long the impact on your mental health will take to process.

I wish you the very best!

• Heart

Sally1993

Chatty Member
It’s really reassuring to hear other people having done this. I’m lucky enough to still be living at home rent free while me and my partner are saving for a house. I’m working (from home) today and have been sat here crying all morning. I’ve applied for jobs that I’m over qualified for and with less pay just to get out of this one. I never really used to get anxiety or panic attacks but this job has really brought it out of me
Please (if possible) don’t stay in a job that affects your mental health. I’ve been there. Life is too short to feel so upset all the time. Make the change if you can. It’s scary but so much better for your mental stability.

• Heart

Allthehashtags

I did this. I was at my last job for 13 years & hated it so gave 4 weeks notice in November 2019. It definitely gave me the push to search for another job but unfortunately covid hit and finding a job in the first lockdown was quite tough. I eventually got a new job in October 2020 & it was the best decision I ever made. Good luck in finding something new 💕 xxx

Reactions: 6

Melier

VIP Member
It’s really reassuring to hear other people having done this. I’m lucky enough to still be living at home rent free while me and my partner are saving for a house. I’m working (from home) today and have been sat here crying all morning. I’ve applied for jobs that I’m over qualified for and with less pay just to get out of this one. I never really used to get anxiety or panic attacks but this job has really brought it out of me

• Heart
Reactions: 6

rlouisep9

VIP Member
If you can survive without your wages whilst you look for something else, then do it. I've been in the same place dreading working, anxiety all weekend knowing the week was approaching etc and it's horrific. No job is worth that. It is utter relief when you can see an end in sight, so even if it's an end without something else lined up for a while it's better better than hating your life as it is now.

Good luck x

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Tinkerbell cat

VIP Member
Slightly different but I was so unbelievably miserable in my last job. I loved the job role itself but I was quite senior in my role after two team members left so it was just me and another guy. Getting days off could be non existent, doing triple the work with no thanks, and when they did eventually find some new people to come in and take the smaller jobs of us, those people would eventually leave so you were constantly just training new people because they wanted to cut costs and wouldn't employ someone properly. The office politics was shocking. I just felt so shit, I had wanted to quit for a long time but then I was worried that I wouldn't find something or that I would regret my decision. The decision for me to leave came in Feb last year when I tried to request a week off in May and it got denied because we were understaffed. I remember just going home and crying. I was snapping with my partner all the time. I would cry when I woke up in the mornings thinking I can not do this anymore.

I just started applying for everything and anything. I knew deep down I didn't want to be out of a job and have any regrets. I got quite lucky and a job I would have loved invited me for an interview. I actually got offered the job but then I wasn't sure whether to hand my notice in or not haha eventually I plucked up the courage to hand my notice in and due to start my new job the following Monday... then covid hit and my new job was placed on hold... covid got worse and my new job never happened! So I was then out of work until November where I found the current job I am in and I do really enjoy it, even though I complain and always want to go home haha I have definitely made the best decision in starting this job. I had went to a few other job interviews but I ended up picking this one. You are treated like a human, people have respect for one another and I wake up and enjoy walking to work rather than wanting to cry.

Firm believer that what is for won't pass you by and everything always falls into place. I can relate in the sense I know how scary it is to worry about finding another job but ultimately you need to put your mental health first. I was gutted last year when my new job didn't happen but I was way better off not being stuck in my old job because I think my mental health would have gotten really quite worse as i doubt the working environment I was in improved any throughout the covid situation this past year. You need to think about money too, can you survive a month or two with no income? You don't want to be leaving yourself in a position where you are struggling and ultimately making yourself even unhappier.

Part of me could have went back and begged for my old job back last year but something inside me stopped me and I am so glad it did.

Things work out, Good luck in your job search and let us know how you get on :)

• Heart

GeorgeP123

Chatty Member
I would never leave a job without another already lined up but I live from month to month and rely on a monthly wage to pay my mortgage. If you are going to be OK if you're without a job for months then that's fine but I'd keep your job and just keep searching.

hol20x

VIP Member
I’ve done it. Left a job I hated and went to a new one which ended up not being anything like what they told me it was in the interview. The hours were ridiculous and there was no training. I did it for a couple of weeks then quit. My mental health was in the gutter. Luckily it only took me 2 months to find a new job.

Reactions: 4

maple1993

has anyone ever quit their job without having another job lined up? I really hate my job and have a 2 month notice period. I’ve been applying for a few jobs and been offered a few interviews but not found anything suitable. Everyone always says ‘it’s easier to get a job once you’re in a job’ but I almost think not having a job would give me more drive to find another one 😭
I did it and I’m so happy I did! I would have always thought the same and needed the security of a full time job but I was working with a horrible manager for over a year and I had turned into a nervous wreck. I went on a mission to save up a small bit of money as a buffer and swiftly handed in my notice and wish I had done it sooner. The satisfaction and relief is unbelievable. I was unemployed for about 6 weeks and went on the job hunt straight away. I thought that no one would hire me because I wasn’t in a job but I think for the most part times have changed and employers are more understanding now that someone may be out of work for one reason or another. Once you can show enthusiasm and the skills you have you will be fine. My advice would be to get in touch with a reputable recruitment agency too as they can really sell your profile to an employer. It will work out for you and don’t worry what people and/or future employers might think about a small gap of unemployment x

• Heart
Reactions: 3

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
If you already have savings it's okay to take a break. Living at home does help though. My dad did this thinking he could just walk into another role when I was 16. He was unemployed for two years and wouldn't even claim Job seekers allowance. It was stressful for my mother as she only worked part time. My brother and I would also apply for jobs anywhere and everywhere for him.

• Heart

Happyvalley

VIP Member
I have done it but had the financial back up of my husband’s wage, we still would have struggled but the job was making me ill. 2 months is a long time, perhaps you could go temping until you find something? Only thing is that the job market is really tough right now, in normal circumstances I would say go for it but with the pandemic I’m not sure 🤔

ses3711

VIP Member

I would ask what would get you down more: staying in a job you hate or potentially being out of work for a couple of months if not longer. Do what’s best for your mental health assuming you can get by financially.

ClockworkDolly

VIP Member

What employers don’t like is gaps in your CV and at interview they will want to know why you left. If you can give them a cock and bull story about the gap, fair enough, but some employers are a bit funny about things like that.

At least you have two months to find another job. Good luck and I hope one comes along soon.

Reactions: 2

Rippedjeanmaybe

VIP Member
I did this last year. I handed in my notice in the September and I had another job by the middle of December. I lived off my savings.
I had been looking for another job for two years and I had no luck, I think being unemployed pushed me to try really hard to find something else.

• Heart
Reactions: 2