Quitting a job with no job lined up

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just after a bit of advice!

has anyone ever quit their job without having another job lined up? I really hate my job and have a 2 month notice period. I’ve been applying for a few jobs and been offered a few interviews but not found anything suitable. Everyone always says ‘it’s easier to get a job once you’re in a job’ but I almost think not having a job would give me more drive to find another one 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I did this. I was at my last job for 13 years & hated it so gave 4 weeks notice in November 2019. It definitely gave me the push to search for another job but unfortunately covid hit and finding a job in the first lockdown was quite tough. I eventually got a new job in October 2020 & it was the best decision I ever made. Good luck in finding something new 💕 xxx

Reactions: 6
Yeah I did it. I handed in my notice in April 2019. My job was extremely high responsibly and high stakes with no thanks and no breaks. It was utterly miserable.
I had a 2 month notice period which lots of job openings don't like so quitting worked in my favour.
I got my perfect job now ♥ BUT
I knew what I loved in a job and what I wouldn't do again. I also had savings and the safety net of my husband. More so I was prepared to do anything to get an income like work on a farm, shop etc I was actually looking forward to the change.

The issue might be you end up going for any job and not your ideal job out if panic.

Anyway i would say it was the best thing I did ,my mental health repaired and I secured my ideal job in June 2019 and started in August 2019

Reactions: 2
I did this. I was at my last job for 13 years & hated it so gave 4 weeks notice in November 2019. It definitely gave me the push to search for another job but unfortunately covid hit and finding a job in the first lockdown was quite tough. I eventually got a new job in October 2020 & it was the best decision I ever made. Good luck in finding something new 💕 xxx
Yeah I did it. I handed in my notice in April 2019. My job was extremely high responsibly and high stakes with no thanks and no breaks. It was utterly miserable.
I had a 2 month notice period which lots of job openings don't like so quitting worked in my favour.
I got my perfect job now ♥ BUT
I knew what I loved in a job and what I wouldn't do again. I also had savings and the safety net of my husband. More so I was prepared to do anything to get an income like work on a farm, shop etc I was actually looking forward to the change.

The issue might be you end up going for any job and not your ideal job out if panic.

Anyway i would say it was the best thing I did ,my mental health repaired and I secured my ideal job in June 2019 and started in August 2019
Congrats both ❤❤ Sooo reassuring to hear you both found something!

I hate telling recruiters my notice is 2 months! And the idea of even working another 2 months makes me feel ill even though it would be far longer if I wait for another job to come up before leaving. I’m really stuck on what to do

Reactions: 1
I would never leave a job without another already lined up but I live from month to month and rely on a monthly wage to pay my mortgage. If you are going to be OK if you're without a job for months then that's fine but I'd keep your job and just keep searching.

Reactions: 5
I have done it but had the financial back up of my husband’s wage, we still would have struggled but the job was making me ill. 2 months is a long time, perhaps you could go temping until you find something? Only thing is that the job market is really tough right now, in normal circumstances I would say go for it but with the pandemic I’m not sure 🤔

Reactions: 3

has anyone ever quit their job without having another job lined up? I really hate my job and have a 2 month notice period. I’ve been applying for a few jobs and been offered a few interviews but not found anything suitable. Everyone always says ‘it’s easier to get a job once you’re in a job’ but I almost think not having a job would give me more drive to find another one 😭
I would ask what would get you down more: staying in a job you hate or potentially being out of work for a couple of months if not longer. Do what’s best for your mental health assuming you can get by financially.

I did this, however I was very young and the financial burden wasn’t as strong. I could never do it now unfortunately. I would seriously weigh up the factors of life for the next 6 months if you wasn’t able to get a job immediately.
This isn’t me saying you won’t get a job for 6 months I mean things like catching up with debts, mortgage holidays etc once you become employed.
Best of luck 🍀

• Heart
I don't think it's necessarily true about it being easier to find a job if you already have one. I've had interviews and they've wanted someone to start immediately, and my notice period was only a week .
I suppose it depends what your industry is and how long it would take to recruit your replacement.

Can you afford to be out of work , if you don't fine something straight away. Could you take a lower wage ? If you can afford it , then leave now , if not stay until you find something.

I did this last year. I handed in my notice in the September and I had another job by the middle of December. I lived off my savings.
I had been looking for another job for two years and I had no luck, I think being unemployed pushed me to try really hard to find something else.

• Heart
I think you have to do what feels right to you. If you have some money saved up (for a couple of months at least), and you're that miserable, then go now. If you don't have any savings, could/would you do temp work until you do find your next permanent role?

I’m doing this right now. I didn’t want to return to my job when my maternity leave ended because it was giving me horrendous anxiety attacks and depression. I handed my notice in and never went back. I’m currently claiming Job Seeker’s Allowance and we’re living off my husband’s wages. I’ve had two interviews and have another couple coming up. Employers like it because you’re available immediately so fingers crossed I’m offered a job very soon! It’ll be great to be earning a wage again and be doing a job that better suits me.

• Heart
It’s really reassuring to hear other people having done this. I’m lucky enough to still be living at home rent free while me and my partner are saving for a house. I’m working (from home) today and have been sat here crying all morning. I’ve applied for jobs that I’m over qualified for and with less pay just to get out of this one. I never really used to get anxiety or panic attacks but this job has really brought it out of me

• Heart
Reactions: 6
It’s really reassuring to hear other people having done this. I’m lucky enough to still be living at home rent free while me and my partner are saving for a house. I’m working (from home) today and have been sat here crying all morning. I’ve applied for jobs that I’m over qualified for and with less pay just to get out of this one. I never really used to get anxiety or panic attacks but this job has really brought it out of me
Please (if possible) don’t stay in a job that affects your mental health. I’ve been there. Life is too short to feel so upset all the time. Make the change if you can. It’s scary but so much better for your mental stability.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
If you can survive without your wages whilst you look for something else, then do it. I've been in the same place dreading working, anxiety all weekend knowing the week was approaching etc and it's horrific. No job is worth that. It is utter relief when you can see an end in sight, so even if it's an end without something else lined up for a while it's better better than hating your life as it is now.

Good luck x

• Heart
I quit my job a year ago after 6 yrs, currently unemployed. I absolutely love it tbh. Ive worked solid since I've left school. I've always saved money, so thankfully it ain't a massive stress. I've learned lots about what I like doing baking, gardening, Blogging, photography, selling cakes, I have 2 volunteer jobs. I learned how to sleep. I really hated my job it was my entire life, so much unnecessary stress. If you can save some money and try take some time away from work do it!! For as long as possible. Enjoy your life and try to chill with the spending.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
If you already have savings it's okay to take a break. Living at home does help though. My dad did this thinking he could just walk into another role when I was 16. He was unemployed for two years and wouldn't even claim Job seekers allowance. It was stressful for my mother as she only worked part time. My brother and I would also apply for jobs anywhere and everywhere for him.

• Heart

Yes... Not that I recommend this as I was lucky it worked out so well but handed notice in for my permanent job for life kind of job and moved from family home to another country and got a temporary job doing something I had never done before and moved into a shared house. 8 years on and best decision I’ve ever made, I have a job now I absolutely love and I am totally independent.

Good luck x

• Heart
Yes, it was absolutely the best decision I’ve made. My mental health was suffering dreadfully, I had a 3 month notice period and like you, the thought of doing a single day would create unbearable anxiety.

I had ran the numbers first though and worked out how long we could survive on a single income. Luckily I got a job offer whilst serving my notice so it worked out well but there’s no guarantee.

I actually took a slight step down in my new role (I used to manage people in my previous role, now I just have 2 dotted line reports) and that also helped with my mental health. If I’d gone into a more senior or equally senior role straight away I don’t think my resilience would have been strong enough. Please think about how long the impact on your mental health will take to process.

I wish you the very best!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Slightly different but I was so unbelievably miserable in my last job. I loved the job role itself but I was quite senior in my role after two team members left so it was just me and another guy. Getting days off could be non existent, doing triple the work with no thanks, and when they did eventually find some new people to come in and take the smaller jobs of us, those people would eventually leave so you were constantly just training new people because they wanted to cut costs and wouldn't employ someone properly. The office politics was shocking. I just felt so tit, I had wanted to quit for a long time but then I was worried that I wouldn't find something or that I would regret my decision. The decision for me to leave came in Feb last year when I tried to request a week off in May and it got denied because we were understaffed. I remember just going home and crying. I was snapping with my partner all the time. I would cry when I woke up in the mornings thinking I can not do this anymore.

I just started applying for everything and anything. I knew deep down I didn't want to be out of a job and have any regrets. I got quite lucky and a job I would have loved invited me for an interview. I actually got offered the job but then I wasn't sure whether to hand my notice in or not haha eventually I plucked up the courage to hand my notice in and due to start my new job the following Monday... then covid hit and my new job was placed on hold... covid got worse and my new job never happened! So I was then out of work until November where I found the current job I am in and I do really enjoy it, even though I complain and always want to go home haha I have definitely made the best decision in starting this job. I had went to a few other job interviews but I ended up picking this one. You are treated like a human, people have respect for one another and I wake up and enjoy walking to work rather than wanting to cry.

Firm believer that what is for won't pass you by and everything always falls into place. I can relate in the sense I know how scary it is to worry about finding another job but ultimately you need to put your mental health first. I was gutted last year when my new job didn't happen but I was way better off not being stuck in my old job because I think my mental health would have gotten really quite worse as i doubt the working environment I was in improved any throughout the covid situation this past year. You need to think about money too, can you survive a month or two with no income? You don't want to be leaving yourself in a position where you are struggling and ultimately making yourself even unhappier.

Part of me could have went back and begged for my old job back last year but something inside me stopped me and I am so glad it did.

Things work out, Good luck in your job search and let us know how you get on :)

• Heart