Questions for those who have been through menopause

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm struggling too. It's all around my middle and I look pregnant!
Not sure if this helps but I cut down on gluten and that’s made a difference to me. I eat less bread and eat more rice, baked potatoes, gluten free pasta and sourdough bread which contains less gluten (as gluten free bread doesn’t taste great, it’s also quite expensive).
I also take vitamins/supplements to help balance my hormones which have helped and walking whenever I can, sometimes just a 15 minute fast walk.

Reactions: 3
How are you ladies coping with any increase in weight. Despite everything including calorie counting. 3x exercise classes a week+ lots of walking, I can’t shift anything. It’s really getting me down.
Lift weights… heavy weights. What type of exercise classes are you doing?

Reactions: 1
Not sure if this helps but I cut down on gluten and that’s made a difference to me. I eat less bread and eat more rice, baked potatoes, gluten free pasta and sourdough bread which contains less gluten (as gluten free bread doesn’t taste great, it’s also quite expensive).
I also take vitamins/supplements to help balance my hormones which have helped and walking whenever I can, sometimes just a 15 minute fast walk.
Yes, I try not to eat too much gluten and don't eat much bread. I managed to lose weight in 2021 and some of last year but it's going back on. I walk 10K most days but that's my only form of exercise. What vitamins/supplements do you take?

Reactions: 2
Yes, I try not to eat too much gluten and don't eat much bread. I managed to lose weight in 2021 and some of last year but it's going back on. I walk 10K most days but that's my only form of exercise. What vitamins/supplements do you take?
I take a few things, a multivitamin, omega 3, probiotic, an oral vitamin D spray and magnesium glycinate, as I was told to avoid HRT if I could and I was really struggling so I researched other ways that could help me.
I also have a Bodyblade (they‘re not cheap but you can buy them on EBay cheaper) it really helps to tone muscles, stomach, arms etc without the need for sit ups and it’s not weight bearing so nearly anyone can use one. It also helps maintain core strength and takes up very little room and can be used inside as long as no one is standing nearby. 😉

Edit. Just wanted to add I don’t have any connections with the company that make Bodyblade, it’s not an Ad, it’s just something that works for me. It’s something I bought when I slipped my disc and needed to regain core muscle strength and noticed it also gave me a toned stomach and arms.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I’m really down with the weight gain as well, and will do anything than look in the mirror. I just seem to be getting bigger and bigger. I take HRT which has been great for everything else.
I take oral vitamin spray and omega.
I walk a lot and have got an indoor walking machine for when I don’t want to go out. And I do Pilates.
Not sure if this helps anyone.
It helps me knowing there’s threads like this and I’m not on my own x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Hi everyone 👋

Just parking myself here, been directed to it from the Nicola Bulley thread where many of us have been discussing our struggles with peri/menopause.

I am 41 and have been struggling for approx 2 years. I am reluctant to go the doctors just yet (i will if i get any worse) however I have been taking Menopace and they are taking the edge off things and have also stopped the hot flushes.

I'm going to read back over this thread for any tips and stories but just wanted to post first.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
The menopause is absolutely doing me in. I’m not even 40 but had to have a surgical hysterectomy/menopause. I’m still struggling to balance my falling hormones 4 years in. I’m just ranting really as I’m exhausted, achy and more than a little over it 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 8
The menopause is absolutely doing me in. I’m not even 40 but had to have a surgical hysterectomy/menopause. I’m still struggling to balance my falling hormones 4 years in. I’m just ranting really as I’m exhausted, achy and more than a little over it 😂
The aches get me too… every single joint! And trying to explain how sore you are makes you sound like a wimp when we’re not.

How are you ladies coping with any increase in weight. Despite everything including calorie counting. 3x exercise classes a week+ lots of walking, I can’t shift anything. It’s really getting me down.
Not coping at all, nothing works. Iv become a recluse as iv gained so much weight, I’m dreading the lighter warmer days and nights as I won’t be able to hide in my house and only go out to walk the dog when it’s dark

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I’ve added some of the nutrients depleted with some medications including HRT. Sometimes addressing the balance if you think you could be low in any of them can make a difference.
This is interesting, I currently as well as still being crazily oestrogen deficient (despite patches and top up gel), I’ve got folate anemia, a vitamin d deficiency and my testosterone is too low. So I’m taking them all to the max as well as general b vitamins. But I’ve not tried magnesium. I am desperately trying to balance it all as I’m constantly exhausted, in pain and the low oestrogen does seem to be triggering a pots like illness I could go without. Blood tests again this week to see if any of them need to be adjusted more.

This is interesting, I currently as well as still being crazily oestrogen deficient (despite patches and top up gel), I’ve got folate anemia, a vitamin d deficiency and my testosterone is too low. So I’m taking them all to the max as well as general b vitamins. But I’ve not tried magnesium. I am desperately trying to balance it all as I’m constantly exhausted, in pain and the low oestrogen does seem to be triggering a pots like illness I could go without. Blood tests again this week to see if any of them need to be adjusted more.
Not sure if you already know this so just ignore if you do. You need sufficient Magnesium levels to absorb Vit D and regulate it, taking vitamin D also depletes magnesium so it’s really important you get enough Magnesium. Unfortunately there aren’t reliable blood tests for Magnesium levels as it’s mostly stored in our bones and muscle. I’ve added a few links that give a little more info on the importance of Magnesium and a screenshot showing some Magnesium deficiency symptoms just in case low levels are a possibility for you.

If you do decide to take magnesium take it at least 2 hours before, or after folate as it may prevent the folate from being properly absorbed. I take magnesium glycinate as it’s kinder on the tummy but there are other magnesiums and also different forms. You can get it in a gel form which I’ve used rubbing a little on the soles of my feet before I go to sleep, or there’s magnesium salts to soak in but of course check it’s right for you.

https://www.imaware.health/blog/vitamin-d-and-magnesium?sscid=21k7_ks2p7&

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28471760/

DD9D9F21-24A6-405D-A6E9-DD5673615028.jpeg

---
Tried to add this to my post above about magnesium but it had timed out.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I know how you feel- I was 31 and I had a full hysterectomy.
I can’t have HRT either.
It’s been 12 years now and I’m still struggling with it!

• Heart
  • Sad
I know how you feel- I was 31 and I had a full hysterectomy.
I can’t have HRT either.
It’s been 12 years now and I’m still struggling with it!
I absolutely feel for you! it’s a solution for one health element, but I don’t think I was prepared for just how much it would effect me afterwards.
---
Not sure if you already know this so just ignore if you do. You need sufficient Magnesium levels to absorb Vit D and regulate it, taking vitamin D also depletes magnesium so it’s really important you get enough Magnesium. Unfortunately there aren’t reliable blood tests for Magnesium levels as it’s mostly stored in our bones and muscle. I’ve added a few links that give a little more info on the importance of Magnesium and a screenshot showing some Magnesium deficiency symptoms just in case low levels are a possibility for you.

If you do decide to take magnesium take it at least 2 hours before, or after folate as it may prevent the folate from being properly absorbed. I take magnesium glycinate as it’s kinder on the tummy but there are other magnesiums and also different forms. You can get it in a gel form which I’ve used rubbing a little on the soles of my feet before I go to sleep, or there’s magnesium salts to soak in but of course check it’s right for you.

https://www.imaware.health/blog/vitamin-d-and-magnesium?sscid=21k7_ks2p7&

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28471760/

View attachment 1963351
---
Tried to add this to my post above about magnesium but it had timed out.
This is all really helpful thank you!

• Heart
Morning All, Just getting myself a place here.

I'm in the first stages of perimenopause. It's bloody awful. I have many symptoms and am hoping not to add any more 🤣

Current symptoms:
-Erratic bleeding (On 3rd week of heavy bleeding after 3 months of nothing)
-Night sweats and some flushes during the day
-Inability to sleep, my head whizzes and won't settle. My legs ache.
-Low mood (no bloody wonder)
-Anxiety
-Dry itchy scalp
-Can smell burning on and off
-Itchy ears (crusty too 😩)
-Bloating
-Irritability
-Absolutely nopatiencetodealwithanythingoranyone! 😃

I am and always have been a person who looks on the brightside, I find solace in humour and having had major trauma during childhood I don't really get phased by anything.

But this.

Its knocking me for 6.

I've been to the GP and she was wonderful. I have had bloodtests and been prescribed antidepressants, I'm back to see her next week.

I've taken some tips from what I've read here already so thank you. (Excercise, diet, magnesium, CBD)

Big hugs to my menopausal friends....virtual of course, I'm sweaty and don't really want to touch anyone lol! 🤣💗

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Omg are you me????
Surgical menopause at 39 for me due to PMDD, I'm now 44 and my latest blood results last week were SHOCKING. I'm low in estrogen and testosterone despite being on HRT, low b12, low folate and low ferritin 🥴🥴🥴 every day is a struggle.

Can i also just add a little warning to everyone.... Please, please be careful if you supplement B6 its very easy to take too much and it can cause permanent damage. IF you supplement do not go over 10mg a day and take it for as little time as possible 💖

• Heart
Omg are you me????
Surgical menopause at 39 for me due to PMDD, I'm now 44 and my latest blood results last week were SHOCKING. I'm low in estrogen and testosterone despite being on HRT, low b12, low folate and low ferritin 🥴🥴🥴 every day is a struggle.

Can i also just add a little warning to everyone.... Please, please be careful if you supplement B6 its very easy to take too much and it can cause permanent damage. IF you supplement do not go over 10mg a day and take it for as little time as possible 💖
I’m so glad in a way it’s not just me. More bloods last week to see if any of the hormone levels are up. I just want to not be tired, have some energy and not ache like a ninety year old woman 👵 (although why they didn’t re-test all the deficiencies to see if they are rising did make me roll my eyes massively!) sending completely understanding support love your way ❤

• Heart
Morning All, Just getting myself a place here.

I'm in the first stages of perimenopause. It's bloody awful. I have many symptoms and am hoping not to add any more 🤣

Current symptoms:
-Erratic bleeding (On 3rd week of heavy bleeding after 3 months of nothing)
-Night sweats and some flushes during the day
-Inability to sleep, my head whizzes and won't settle. My legs ache.
-Low mood (no bloody wonder)
-Anxiety
-Dry itchy scalp
-Can smell burning on and off
-Itchy ears (crusty too 😩)
-Bloating
-Irritability
-Absolutely nopatiencetodealwithanythingoranyone! 😃

I am and always have been a person who looks on the brightside, I find solace in humour and having had major trauma during childhood I don't really get phased by anything.

But this.

Its knocking me for 6.

I've been to the GP and she was wonderful. I have had bloodtests and been prescribed antidepressants, I'm back to see her next week.

I've taken some tips from what I've read here already so thank you. (Excercise, diet, magnesium, CBD)

Big hugs to my menopausal friends....virtual of course, I'm sweaty and don't really want to touch anyone lol! 🤣💗
I think i was in perimenopause way earlier than i realised (probably 37/38). I had exactly what you described regarding bleeding and had lots of gyno investigations to no avail.

Thankfully my periods have now virtually stopped. I went 10 months without then had one in October and one in February and are not as heavy and not lasting weeks on end.

Menopace has really helped with my hot flushes and evened my moods out. Nothing is helping my sleep though 😴

• Heart
Omg are you me????

Can I ask about the b6 supplement please ?

• Heart
  • Heart