Questions for those who have been through menopause

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I spoke to my doctor yesterday and for various reasons (including HRT not being funded where I am so it costs a fortune, HRT delaying the inevitable anyway, plus the high risk of breast cancer given my family history), she suggested I go on the pill and stay on it permanently ... not stop for cycles ... has anyone done this? I used to be terrible in my 20s when I took the pill - I'd just stay on it constantly so I wouldn't have periods - and I think that stuffed my whole cycle because my periods were worse than I could remember when I came off it, compared to when I first went on it.

I spoke to my doctor yesterday and for various reasons (including HRT not being funded where I am so it costs a fortune, HRT delaying the inevitable anyway, plus the high risk of breast cancer given my family history), she suggested I go on the pill and stay on it permanently ... not stop for cycles ... has anyone done this? I used to be terrible in my 20s when I took the pill - I'd just stay on it constantly so I wouldn't have periods - and I think that stuffed my whole cycle because my periods were worse than I could remember when I came off it, compared to when I first went on it.
Yes this is what I am doing now, apparently it’s a higher dose of oestrogen than HRT which I need as I am only 34 so need the extra protection for bones etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I started the menopause at 17(premature ovarian failure) and been on hrt on and off ever since and never able to have children.Probably going to take myself off it again for a while. (I do my own thing as by my own gynae drs admitance-i know more than them longterm hrt side effects. Not much i dont know about side effects if i can help anyone.🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Growing up I tried the contraceptive pill none ever agreed with me, ended up with the coil, so I’m not sure if I would take HRT🥴 can anyone suggest any herbal remedies that would work ?
Black Cohosh is supposed to be good.

I also used to take Menopace, which I found good.

It’s looking like I’m going through the menopause right now 😢

Terrible night sweats, hot flushes throughout the day, erratic mood swings, weight gain... honestly, I’m a shadow of my former self.

I had bloods taken last week with a hormone screen done too. I do have other health issues which could cause some of these symptoms, but considering what my body has been through these last few years , my GP is pretty confident it’s the change.

We’ve already discussed HRT and I’m all for it. I just want to stop feeling this way. It’s so horrible 😢
I don’t blame anyone wanting HRT. I toyed with it myself.

Thankfully, I think I am now heading out of menopause. I blooming hope so, I don’t like the anxiety part of it either and the bloody weight gain. 😩

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I’m going through it at the moment. It’s awful - hot flushes, memory loss, insomnia, everything aches; I could go on! The best thing has been no feelings of rage leading up to a period, I was like a different person when pre-menstrual. I have terrible anxiety now, plus toilet phobia, possibly the menopause is causing this as I haven’t always been like it.

Reactions: 4
I’m going through it at the moment. It’s awful - hot flushes, memory loss, insomnia, everything aches; I could go on! The best thing has been no feelings of rage leading up to a period, I was like a different person when pre-menstrual. I have terrible anxiety now, plus toilet phobia, possibly the menopause is causing this as I haven’t always been like it.
I have all of those things and the feelings of rage leading up to a period! It's hell. I'll let you know how I get on with taking contraceptives.

The thing with the menopause is that no two women are the same. Some will get hot flushes, some won’t.

My narcissistic ex-boyfriend thought he knew all about the menopause and thought he could diagnose me himself, such a twit he was, amongst other things. 🤣 He used to read the Daily Fail health pages and thought he knew it all.

Reactions: 5
Well, I’ll let you know the outcome of my appointment tomorrow morning ladies. Should find out definitively what is going on xx

• Heart
Reactions: 3
@GetOffMyLawn, how did you get on?

Just posting this in case it's helpful to anyone else reading (bear in mind that I am in New Zealand, so drug mentions, advice I was given and cost may differ depending on where you are).

The pill I have been prescribed is called "Cerazette." It is a progestagen-only-pill which apparently is the only option for my age (late 40s). It is not 100% guaranteed to stop periods, but has a very high success rate of doing so. I have been instructed to take it on the second day of my next period and continue on it without stopping until for about three years, and try stopping at that point to see if my periods have completely gone (if not, continue taking it). Apparently for some, there will be light spotting and a bit of a 'blah' feeling, but nothing compared to what they might have experienced without it. So, it is essentially masking the signs of perimenopause.

HRT here is very expensive, and apparently the only type they prescribe is for hot flushes (the least of my worries), so it wasn't really an option anyway. Cerazette is partly-funded ... I will need to pay NZ$50 every three months from my own pocket (which I'm sure will be worth it).

Reactions: 2
Eek... sorry! I forgot to provide an update!

well, it was BS! The phlebotomist took the wrong bloods so I’m waiting to get the hormone profile done again! I have an appointment next week so all being well, I’ll have a better idea then.
That said, the full blood count indicated I was folate deficient (3.1) should be between 5-20 (if I remember correctly). Now, I do have other comorbidities that affect my absorption of essential minerals and electrolytes so I’ve been in a similar situation before, but the last time they were this low was shortly after sepsis.

the nurse also tried to do a cervical smear without any luck. Very painful and it appears my cervix is too far back?? I have therefore been referred to the hospital for them to do. Can’t help but feel down when the nurse (without malice) says she rarely has issues doing smears.

bottom line... nowt has changed other than a prescription for folic acid and advice to up my folate intake. Only problem is the foods they suggest, I can’t eat and they know it! Helpless :(

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Hi Ladies, I’ve read this thread with interest and would love to know how you are getting on. I’m currently on a huge downer having stopped taking HRT but would be interested to hear how you are getting on, what you are taking or any alternative tips
Thanks

@GetOffMyLawn, how did you get on?

Just posting this in case it's helpful to anyone else reading (bear in mind that I am in New Zealand, so drug mentions, advice I was given and cost may differ depending on where you are).

The pill I have been prescribed is called "Cerazette." It is a progestagen-only-pill which apparently is the only option for my age (late 40s). It is not 100% guaranteed to stop periods, but has a very high success rate of doing so. I have been instructed to take it on the second day of my next period and continue on it without stopping until for about three years, and try stopping at that point to see if my periods have completely gone (if not, continue taking it). Apparently for some, there will be light spotting and a bit of a 'blah' feeling, but nothing compared to what they might have experienced without it. So, it is essentially masking the signs of perimenopause.

HRT here is very expensive, and apparently the only type they prescribe is for hot flushes (the least of my worries), so it wasn't really an option anyway. Cerazette is partly-funded ... I will need to pay NZ$50 every three months from my own pocket (which I'm sure will be worth it).
I just thought I'd come back and give everyone an update.

I had to stop taking the Cerazette as it brought on diverticulitis (which I suffer on and off with). So, I took them for about five days in December. In January, I had no period and no PMT symptoms ... no bloating, even! I was reluctant to start taking the pills again as the diverticulitis is just too painful to bear and I ended up having to lie down for a good week. In February, I got my period, but it lasted for only three days and I had no PMT symptoms whatsoever. For the past week, I've been getting the whole range of PMT symptoms (including a hugely bloated stomach), and today have got my period, along with heavy bleeding and terrible pain (pain aren't helping).

So, my feedback: Yes, it obviously works; however, given my history of diverticultis, they're not the best solution for me. At this point I plan to suck it up and hope they'll go away permanently on their own soon. I swear I've been perimenopausal since my early 40s.

Hopefully this is helpful for someone else.

Interesting....
I'm thinking of coming off HRT altogether. It only appears to work sporadically.
I've started to take Menopace Plus too.
I feel I'm constantly supplementing the HRT.
I'm on HRT pill topped up with oestrogel, CBD oil, citalpram (10mg) and magnesium spray and still have regular occurring insomnia!

Hi Ladies, I’ve read this thread with interest and would love to know how you are getting on. I’m currently on a huge downer having stopped taking HRT but would be interested to hear how you are getting on, what you are taking or any alternative tips
Thanks
How are you now?
Do you take any supplements?

Interesting....
I'm thinking of coming off HRT altogether. It only appears to work sporadically.
I've started to take Menopace Plus too.
I feel I'm constantly supplementing the HRT.
I'm on HRT pill topped up with oestrogel, CBD oil, citalpram (10mg) and magnesium spray and still have regular occurring insomnia!

How are you now?
Do you take any supplements?
@Rowan how are you finding the Menopace? I’m six months in to no periods having had severe anemia last year due to incredibly heavy periods, at least that’s stopped now👍

I only started it yesterday but the plan is to wean myself off my HRT.
Are you feeling better off HRT?

My worse symptoms were insomnia and anxiety. Also joint pain, hair loss and tingling hands and feet.
I'm not sure if I recommend it as such because it depends on the individual and their stage of menopause.
Me too, insomnia and anxiety were the 1st symptoms at 46 plus I would get heightened smell periodically which I put down to my coil needing to be changed.

My best advice to anyone in their 40's is to start actually paying attention to your body, in fact I would say to young girls to do the same. I never paid attention to anything as I didn't really suffer any symptoms of PMS but at 52 I am so much more in tune with my body. I now realise that the chronic knee pain that I used to suffer from when I was at school and that prevented me playing sport when I got to 14ish was hormonal. It went away only to return as I became menopausal but being older and wiser I now see the pattern that leads to the pain as it's not everyday, just a few days a month. My sense of smell goes crazy for a few days and all I can smell is dogshit, my weight goes up 5lb overnight, I'll crave salt and sugar for a day or two. Track it all, once you know the pattern the symptoms become manageable. They don't disappar but it's easier to ride them out.

I only started it yesterday but the plan is to wean myself off my HRT.
Are you feeling better off HRT?
Why do you want to come off HRT, I know women that swear they will take it till tey die and they all look great.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7