Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What’s everyone using to wash their pups when they get muddy on walks, is the mud daddy any good?

Anyone have any tips on separation anxiety? My 4 year old rescue is really clingy to me.

We have stimulation toys and she gets plenty of exercise

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Anyone have any tips on separation anxiety? My 4 year old rescue is really clingy to me.

How long have you had her?

Have a google of the 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months advice in regards to rescue dogs.

I know its counter intuitive but I wouldnt be leaving at all right now if shes stressed. Build it up slowly, so 60 seconds if thats all she will accept.

Is she getting too much stimulation and exercise? Dogs need to learn how to settle. Have you tried a crate? I don’t mean locking her away and letting her cry it out but teaching her that the crate is her safe space.

We’ve had her two weeks so it’s still early days. She never cries at night but even if I pop to the loo during the day she goes mad 😭

I have read the “3” advice re rescues, thanks

We’ve had her two weeks so it’s still early days. She never cries at night but even if I pop to the loo during the day she goes mad 😭

I have read the “3” advice re rescues, thanks
Have you got a puppy cam? Mine really helped when I was worried about leaving my rescue, I built the time up and watched her on it to check she was getting on OK.

She’s been here for 9 months now and is such a velcro dog when I’m at home, follows me everywhere, cries outside the bathroom door if I’m in there too long, sleeps on the floor next to my bed… but when I’m out she’s completely calm. She just sleeps. I think she stops guarding me and genuinely chills out.

I never crate trained but I do leave her shut on her bed in my kitchen so she doesn’t have free rein of the house and doesn’t worry about scaring off people/cars that go past.

• Heart
Anyone else going through the teenage phase, the lunging and biting is dying now but the high pitched barking for attention is intense and the sleep patterns are changing as he’s going from sleeping through night to waking us up during the night just to lie out in the garden 🙈. He’s 11 months, when does this get better? I though the puppy stage was hard, the teenage years feels harder

Teenage time is hard work in a different way to puppy time. We had some silly sleep stuff with both around 10-12 months but crate training did help with that and put an end to it quickly. But mostly for us it was complete lack of impulse control and forgetting all their training overnight, however I recently read that it can take up to 24 months for impulse control to fully develop in some dogs.

Reactions: 2
Some dogs just seem like the class clown also. Mine definitely is. Im so over it now. Hes 1 and Ive just about had enough of his shenanigans 🙄

I haven’t experienced the teenage years yet and my pup is 20 months! I hope I’ve escaped it, she was crate trained from 8 weeks so maybe that’s a contributing factor. She’s even getting on with the cat!

Our 11 month old golden retriever decided that she wanted to whinge on the landing from 2-3am last night. My husband and I both went out to see if she was okay and he let her out in the garden (she did actually go to the loo then) but she just lay outside our bedroom door and cried near enough constantly for the best part of the hour. She must have given up at that point as we both managed to get back to sleep til the alarm went off at 6am (and I had to waken her up from her deep sleep on the sofa downstairs). I felt so mean not giving in and letting her into our bedroom but I don't want to make a rod for our own backs by giving in like that. Will be interesting to see how she is tonight as we're going up to my parents and she sleeps in our bedroom there. She's having her first season at the moment so hoping that she's just feeling a bit meh and that was why and it doesn't become a regular thing as usually she is good at staying downstairs through the night, only coming up if we dare to have a lie in past 6:30am and even then she usually just wants to have a cuddle.

Our 11 month old golden retriever decided that she wanted to whinge on the landing from 2-3am last night. My husband and I both went out to see if she was okay and he let her out in the garden (she did actually go to the loo then) but she just lay outside our bedroom door and cried near enough constantly for the best part of the hour. She must have given up at that point as we both managed to get back to sleep til the alarm went off at 6am (and I had to waken her up from her deep sleep on the sofa downstairs). I felt so mean not giving in and letting her into our bedroom but I don't want to make a rod for our own backs by giving in like that. Will be interesting to see how she is tonight as we're going up to my parents and she sleeps in our bedroom there. She's having her first season at the moment so hoping that she's just feeling a bit meh and that was why and it doesn't become a regular thing as usually she is good at staying downstairs through the night, only coming up if we dare to have a lie in past 6:30am and even then she usually just wants to have a cuddle.
Its v likely related to the season. She will be completely out of sorts. It should pass 🤞

• Heart
Its v likely related to the season. She will be completely out of sorts. It should pass 🤞
Fingers crossed, she has been really good for the rest of the week, but so clingy and wanting all the belly rubs and just looking quite sad. Have been telling her I know how you feel! I'm hoping some nice Yorkshire sunshine and all the fusses from my parents will cheer her up this weekend (and plenty of titbits too).

Me and my wife lost our best friend of 10 years on the 17th. She was a Springer Spaniel and was the loveliest dog ever with the best temperament. We are heartbroken right now and the house is so quiet.

We saw some Sprocker pups advertised not far from where we live. We went to visit them last weekend and ended up putting a deposit down on a lovely chocolate boy who will come home to us on the 7th of next month.

We have so much love to give another Spaniel and we know it's going to be hard with grief but we need a dog in our lives and are willing to open our hearts to love another.

Would love some advice from people who have lost a furry best friend and then got another. Does it get easier than this?

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Me and my wife lost our best friend of 10 years on the 17th. She was a Springer Spaniel and was the loveliest dog ever with the best temperament. We are heartbroken right now and the house is so quiet.

We saw some Sprocker pups advertised not far from where we live. We went to visit them last weekend and ended up putting a deposit down on a lovely chocolate boy who will come home to us on the 7th of next month.

We have so much love to give another Spaniel and we know it's going to be hard with grief but we need a dog in our lives and are willing to open our hearts to love another.

Would love some advice from people who have lost a furry best friend and then got another. Does it get easier than this?
Im hesitant to comment but for me no it didnt. I was really deep in grief so I dont think I bonded with our pup the way I should or could have.

I also didnt have the patience or temperament that is good to have when bringing a new puppy home because I was so upset and distraught.

I am a year down the line now and I have massive regrets. I think I am in the minority though as I very seldom see anyone who feels like this.

My dog is well cared for, loved and has the life of riley but I feel like I am going through the motions at times and if I could give him back to have my other dog back Id do it in a heart beat. I have 3 other people and another dog living in my house who all dote on him.

I am really sorry for your loss. It is truly the hardest thing I have ever experienced. ❤

Our cockapoo gets matted SO easily 😫 we shave/cut him at home as he had a bad experience with a dog groomer once (she was awful, cut him and made him bleed and he’s petrified since) but he’s getting really matted no matter what we do. Is there some miracle spray I’ve missed or anything? Or does anyone have any tips for grooming at home?

Our cockapoo gets matted SO easily 😫 we shave/cut him at home as he had a bad experience with a dog groomer once (she was awful, cut him and made him bleed and he’s petrified since) but he’s getting really matted no matter what we do. Is there some miracle spray I’ve missed or anything? Or does anyone have any tips for grooming at home?
Are you brushing him everyday?, Quite a lot of cockapoo coats need this. Slicker brush and metal tooth comb is all you need. If youre doing it daily it really should prevent any matts.

I like the Hypknotic spray its brilliant for spraying before brushing.

My groomers run a 'how to prevent matting' course, you dont need to be a customer to attend it but theyl show you how to properly brush to prevent matts too.

I find mine matt more in winter due to wearing the equafleece. Harnesses and collars can cause matting too.

Its just a case of keeping on top of it and being really strict with grooming. If you are grooming daily and still finding matts you may need to look at your technique.

We went out the other day and bought our Sprocker pup that we are getting on the 8th of next month some cheapo toys

Any advice on toys for teething?

It's been a long time since we've had a pup so assume things have moved on from 10 years ago

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.