Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ah I know I moaned yesterday but we had a lovely day for the end of yesterday and he actually wanted to cuddle, and today too. He still has his mouthy times but they seem to be calming down a tad 🤞🏻

Reactions: 4
I have a 3.5yr old and considering getting a dachshund puppy.
Does anyone have any experience of this age with a very small dog? Will it be better for me to keep them separated for a while?
I'm intrigued why you've picked a dachshund? What is it that draws you think them?

Hi there, I read this thread often but haven't commented until now.

Schnauzers are full of character, they're their own little person and it really can be exhausting at times.
In regards to him waking up early, is your boyfriend potentially waking him as you said he works early?

When it comes to the chewing the best advice I can give you is toys and lots of them, teething bones, Nylabones, Kong, teddies they can cuddle into when they do (eventually) settle for a nap.
Treat balls are also great for keeping them occupied for a while, try as many as you can and you'll naturally find the one your pup gravitates to the most.

Are you working at a desk or have a space near where you work to put a little bed for him? Schnauzers tend to just like to be with their owners even if it's just sat in the same room doing nothing, they're very annoying and very demanding but honestly the best little companions... hang in there.
Thankyou, yes schnauzers definitely have great personalities and are like little people 🤣
yeah my boyfriend has always got up early for work, which would disrupt him. He used to settle back down with me will about 7ish but he seems to be getting up earlier in the summer so I’m hoping in winter when it’s darker he may start to lie in a bit longer again 🤣
Before we moved house I used to sit at a table and he had got really good at taking himself to his bed under the table when he knew I was busy and couldn’t play with him. I think he’s just a bit unsettled at the moment as we are in between our new house (with it all being decorated and extended) and my in laws (who luckily are on the same street so it’s easy lol) and my also be going through an adolescent stage.
We do know he loves pizzle sticks and ostrich bones but seems to change his mind regularly about what he would prefer to chew on lol. Just had some new pizzle sticks delivered today and he chewed on one for about half an hour and is now asleep lol.
Despite my moans I have often said that I don’t think having a puppy was as hard as I expected and hopefully he’s just having a bit of an annoying phase! We love him to bits and he keeps things entertaining! (Apart from being very reactive on a lead which we need to try and work on 🤦‍♀️)

Any tips for Schaunzer puppies and barking 🙈😂
Hahaha I feel you’re pain! I have tried to teach him ‘quiet’ but he doesn’t listen if it’s something he really wants to bark at 🤣

B99E9C88-070E-4192-916C-CA92183B83C8.jpeg

• Heart
My mum and dad have just got two lab puppies. They’re 9 weeks old. I went to meet them today wirh my little boy who’s 3. We have a 12 year old collie ourselves so seeing 2 puppies was actually sooo eye opening. Originally I was meant to be getting one of the puppies as wel but after thinking it through we didn’t think it would be far for our dog to spend his last years with a puppy hanging off him and also it’s a lot of work around my job. I’m out the house 630-330.
anyway the puppies are absolutely mental. Constantly biting things outside, one kept picking up stones. One trying to get the bows on my flip flops , one kept jumping at my little boy and he hated it. It was absolute carnage😂😂😂. I didn’t realise puppies were this bad. I’m so relieved I didn’t get one it’s worse than having a new born. But they’re super cute tho. One curled up in my knee and fell asleep 🥺

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Any tips for Schaunzer puppies and barking 🙈😂
Ohh I hate to tell you this but that's part of their breed, they're very chatty dogs and every schnauzer i've ever met loves a good bark.
The obvious one is if he/she does bark then don't shout as it only encourages them or so they say, but I fully appreciate how utterly maddening it can be at times, it's just another little character trait they have. I think it stems from them being excellent little guard dogs. 🤣

• Heart
My partner really wants to get a dog and he's nearly talked me round. I would be keen to get a Goldeen Retriever as they seem calm, good with kids etc. Does anyone have any stories to affirm my choice or horror stories to put me off? 🤣

Thankyou, yes schnauzers definitely have great personalities and are like little people 🤣
yeah my boyfriend has always got up early for work, which would disrupt him. He used to settle back down with me will about 7ish but he seems to be getting up earlier in the summer so I’m hoping in winter when it’s darker he may start to lie in a bit longer again 🤣
Before we moved house I used to sit at a table and he had got really good at taking himself to his bed under the table when he knew I was busy and couldn’t play with him. I think he’s just a bit unsettled at the moment as we are in between our new house (with it all being decorated and extended) and my in laws (who luckily are on the same street so it’s easy lol) and my also be going through an adolescent stage.
We do know he loves pizzle sticks and ostrich bones but seems to change his mind regularly about what he would prefer to chew on lol. Just had some new pizzle sticks delivered today and he chewed on one for about half an hour and is now asleep lol.
Despite my moans I have often said that I don’t think having a puppy was as hard as I expected and hopefully he’s just having a bit of an annoying phase! We love him to bits and he keeps things entertaining! (Apart from being very reactive on a lead which we need to try and work on 🤦‍♀️)

Hahaha I feel you’re pain! I have tried to teach him ‘quiet’ but he doesn’t listen if it’s something he really wants to bark at 🤣

View attachment 1335305
Firstly he's a handsome little boy, his little beard!!!
Schnauzers apparently take until they are 2 years old to fully mellow which I know sounds like an eternity, it's all part of the experience though.
I've honestly never met more annoying dogs in my life than schnauzers but that's a huge part as to why I love them, you'll never have a dull moment and you'll have a sidekick for life in them, they also are known to pick one person in the household and decide they are their favourite 🤣
They're brilliant little dogs, enjoy the ride.

The lead pulling is also a typical breed thing, they're notorious for it... they just want to meet and become friends with everyone.

• Heart
My partner really wants to get a dog and he's nearly talked me round. I would be keen to get a Goldeen Retriever as they seem calm, good with kids etc. Does anyone have any stories to affirm my choice or horror stories to put me off? 🤣
Do your research, get one that parents are hip, elbow, and eye scored.
Consider costs of a larger breed - vet bills, feeding, equipment, insurance.
Need to exercise minimally whilst growing.
Generally great dogs. Occasionally see aggressive ones, buy less frequently than other breeds.
Not sure if there's a 'fad' yet to have silly colours like red or blue - ignore these.

I would love a golden retriever. Theyre my favourite dog breed. Too big for me at the moment though.

Reactions: 1
Firstly he's a handsome little boy, his little beard!!!
Schnauzers apparently take until they are 2 years old to fully mellow which I know sounds like an eternity, it's all part of the experience though.
I've honestly never met more annoying dogs in my life than schnauzers but that's a huge part as to why I love them, you'll never have a dull moment and you'll have a sidekick for life in them, they also are known to pick one person in the household and decide they are their favourite 🤣
They're brilliant little dogs, enjoy the ride.

The lead pulling is also a typical breed thing, they're notorious for it... they just want to meet and become friends with everyone.
I think he’s chosen my boyfriend as his favourite lol which is annoying as I’m the one with him all day everyday! 🤣 he curls up asleep next to him and gets a lot more excited when he comes home from work compared to if I have been out 🤣

I thought I would trust him for 5 minutes last night when I had a shower. He was tired and had his pizzle stick so thought Oh what harm will he do….
2438399F-8431-4DDC-9993-9D228018B0C8.jpeg

Good job we are redecorating the whole house and getting a vinyl floor in the living room 🤣 (excuse the state of the skirting boards lol)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
I think he’s chosen my boyfriend as his favourite lol which is annoying as I’m the one with him all day everyday! 🤣 he curls up asleep next to him and gets a lot more excited when he comes home from work compared to if I have been out 🤣

I thought I would trust him for 5 minutes last night when I had a shower. He was tired and had his pizzle stick so thought Oh what harm will he do….
View attachment 1337525
Good job we are redecorating the whole house and getting a vinyl floor in the living room 🤣 (excuse the state of the skirting boards lol)
😂😂😂 I always freak out the second our pup goes quiet, always up to no good.

• Haha
I know Ive given lots of advice on here but Id forgotten about when 6 month old pup got a lot better behaved when we switched his food. He did have a bad tummy on the good quality kibble we feed our older dog so we swapped to raw and he is a lot more focused on the raw food. Less of a donut and learning more things easier.

I thought he was just a complete balloon but he is less of one now. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5

View attachment 1337525
Oh wow, He saw his opportunity and he took it.
Isn't it amazing what they can wreck in so little time. 🤣

You guys have really opened my eyes to the stress of owning a puppy and how tough they are. We have two cats and are considering getting a labrador puppy.
Has anyone had experience of cats with puppies? Our cats are quite chill with one of them being more than happy to be boisterous with the other one (she hates it!)
We have a 10 year old house cat and he hated the puppy and has only moved into tolerating the puppy now, 6 months after we got her! It can be very hard when you have to keep them seperated for their own good if there are issues (the puppy loves everyone and wants to play with the cat, the cat wants the puppy to duck off) and I'll be honest with you trying to juggle that situation whilst working from home resulted in a few stressed out tears from me!

It can be done but it depends on the animals, cats have as strong personalities as dogs but they are less dependant. We have got to the point where the cat and the puppy can be in the same room as each other now, even stood very close to each other and it is a lot better than it was, but it took a lot of time and effort to get there.

One thing to remember with Goldies is they need grooming so factor in that expense when planning. They are beautiful dogs, though they can be very clown like and as a larger breed they can be strong on the lead so be prepared to put the time and and effort in training them (thankfully they are very eager to please like Labradors).

You guys have really opened my eyes to the stress of owning a puppy and how tough they are. We have two cats and are considering getting a labrador puppy.
Has anyone had experience of cats with puppies? Our cats are quite chill with one of them being more than happy to be boisterous with the other one (she hates it!)
I think it depends on the cats. My mums cat has left home ( she’s next door with the neighbours ) since they got two lab puppies 😂. But she’ll come around. She always does. This will be the third and fourth dog she’ll have lived with. She was a kitten with their first. 5 when they got the second and now she’s 14. She doesn’t particularly like dogs but she learns to tolerate them as long as they leave her alone. Whereas their other cat who passed away now loved dog 1&2. He used to snuggle up in their beds with them.

Our main concern when getting a pup was our cat, he's quite a shy boy and would only tolerate me and my partner, but he has done brilliantly with our pup - we actually see him more and he is even more loving. It took a couple of months but he clearly understands that he is head of the household so if our pup goes too near he will swipe and/or hiss - they now seem to be fine sharing the same space, he guards the stairs and if our pup steps out of line he chases her!

I think we put so much emphasis on keeping them apart, when really they just needed to get on with it, suss each other out and understand that neither is a threat. We still stop our pup from going upstairs so the cat has his own space if he wants it.

Our main concern when getting a pup was our cat, he's quite a shy boy and would only tolerate me and my partner, but he has done brilliantly with our pup - we actually see him more and he is even more loving. It took a couple of months but he clearly understands that he is head of the household so if our pup goes too near he will swipe and/or hiss - they now seem to be fine sharing the same space, he guards the stairs and if our pup steps out of line he chases her!

I think we put so much emphasis on keeping them apart, when really they just needed to get on with it, suss each other out and understand that neither is a threat. We still stop our pup from going upstairs so the cat has his own space if he wants it.
We have a 10 year old house cat and he hated the puppy and has only moved into tolerating the puppy now, 6 months after we got her! It can be very hard when you have to keep them seperated for their own good if there are issues (the puppy loves everyone and wants to play with the cat, the cat wants the puppy to duck off) and I'll be honest with you trying to juggle that situation whilst working from home resulted in a few stressed out tears from me!

It can be done but it depends on the animals, cats have as strong personalities as dogs but they are less dependant. We have got to the point where the cat and the puppy can be in the same room as each other now, even stood very close to each other and it is a lot better than it was, but it took a lot of time and effort to get there.
I think it depends on the cats. My mums cat has left home ( she’s next door with the neighbours ) since they got two lab puppies 😂. But she’ll come around. She always does. This will be the third and fourth dog she’ll have lived with. She was a kitten with their first. 5 when they got the second and now she’s 14. She doesn’t particularly like dogs but she learns to tolerate them as long as they leave her alone. Whereas their other cat who passed away now loved dog 1&2. He used to snuggle up in their beds with them.
Thank you guys. That's super reassuring! Most people I've spoken to are very black and white and it's a yes or a no answer. It's good to see experiences where it has worked.

Our plan is to keep the downstairs for the dog but not let him upstairs. (If we were to get one). The cats food bowls, litter trays and beds are all upstairs so it wouldn't be a huge change to them. Also planning on child gates for the stairs and living room door just to keep a bit of a barrier between the two.

They're only 3 so not too set in their ways and when next door had a dog (she's died now bless her) they were always nosying around the fence when she was in the garden and they were outside. There's also a dog on the garden behind us that they like a good sniff at so I'm hoping it's not a huge leap.

They're so loving (in their own ways 😅). I don't want them to feel too left out/pushed out. I guess its something we won't know until we try it. They could get on really well or could hate eachother!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.