Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Me and my oh are going to face this awful woman tomorrow who treated us like shite, her attitude was you've given up puppy, you need a clean break, there's been more than what I've posted on here, she really has been awful, hopefully we'll try to make some closure tomorrow, but I don't think so.
Oh bless you. I hope it goes well 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Me and my oh are going to face this awful woman tomorrow who treated us like shite, her attitude was you've given up puppy, you need a clean break, there's been more than what I've posted on here, she really has been awful, hopefully we'll try to make some closure tomorrow, but I don't think so.
Oh Maid Im so sorry. Its awful how they have treated you. I dont really understand what is so difficult about sending updates. She sounds horrid.

• Heart
Oh I wasnt having a go at all. More sympathising that kids dont always listen or do it for a wee while then stop 🙈 mine definitely do (2 kids and 2 dogs, something wrong with me 😬 )

They can be super friendly but they definitely are prone to separation anxiety and resource guarding. My first breeder was really experienced and gave me so much information about resource guarding before we brought our first pup home, it's really the only reason I know so much about it. Thankfully we have been lucky with both our dogs and that they dont have tendancies to do it but again if thats nurture (as in we did games / training from day dot of taking things away, using the stop command when eating, lifting the food and putting back down) or nature. It could well be we just got lucky, which is more than likely.

Definitely see about getting professional help, I bet with a few tweaks your pup will be much more of a joy to be around x
Arrhh no I know you wasn’t ..It can just be very stressful at times and I can’t really move for him ..If I leave the room he’s right behind me 🙈It can get a bit much ..And my husband is finding him hard to bond with because of the gowling ..So we argue about it ..It’s not how I imagined it that’s for sure ….

• Sad
Arrhh no I know you wasn’t ..It can just be very stressful at times and I can’t really move for him ..If I leave the room he’s right behind me 🙈It can get a bit much ..And my husband is finding him hard to bond with because of the gowling ..So we argue about it ..It’s not how I imagined it that’s for sure ….
They are velcro pups for sure. Both of mine get stood on constantly and never learn 🙄 Ive been close to a sore one with them being under my feet too.

Licky mats are good at training them to stay put.

I dont think its ever how we imagine. Before I got my 2nd pup I used to say I wish I could just get a dog that was 18 months old and trained 🙈the puppy stage really put me off getting another dog.

Oh Maid Im so sorry. Its awful how they have treated you. I dont really understand what is so difficult about sending updates. She sounds horrid.
She has been awful to us, and the one thing I care more about in my life, apart from my oh, has been my dogs, am soo looking forward to tomorrow, I'll have to keep my anger in check, cos all I want to do is punch her, really hard!

They are velcro pups for sure. Both of mine get stood on constantly and never learn 🙄 Ive been close to a sore one with them being under my feet too.

Licky mats are good at training them to stay put.

I dont think its ever how we imagine. Before I got my 2nd pup I used to say I wish I could just get a dog that was 18 months old and trained 🙈the puppy stage really put me off getting another dog.
I know ..We say we can’t wait for him to be a dog and not a puppy 😂😂It’s easier having a baby …

She has been awful to us, and the one thing I care more about in my life, apart from my oh, has been my dogs, am soo looking forward to tomorrow, I'll have to keep my anger in check, cos all I want to do is punch her, really hard!
I don’t mean this in a negative critical way, but perhaps she has a point about clean break. The puppy will recognise you, your scent etc, and in fairness to him, you no longer wanted him as your own dog, for justifiable reasons and again, no judgement at all, but I can see her point about a clean break. While he is adjusting, I wouldn’t willingly want to confuse him or upset him with previous known scents and people.

Reactions: 4
My heart really does break for you @Maid22 but in the case of our puppy, the owners had to give it up because they were moving to Switzerland (they had been through the breeding process, driven across the country to pick her up and then had to give her up days later). They stayed in touch with us and would occasionally ask for pics and stuff (fine) but then suggested that we meet up for a pint when they were back in the country last month. I sadly said that we had other plans as I don't think anything good would've come out of the meeting as they were heartbroken to give her up in the first place. We haven't heard from them since (and I'm sure that they aren't angry or anything) as the only thing we had in common was the pup.

I guess what I'm saying is, I can absolutely see both points of view (you're heartbroken, they need to move on) and who's to say that they're not also struggling with the pup? Can they send you some pics in the meantime?

I think in Maids case they are refusing to even send updates?

Maid has chosen this family to rehome a dog that they really didnt want to do but felt it was best and was torn up about it. Surely the new owner must have known this and if they were an animal lover would know how difficult it is to give up a pet or can imagine it.

I can see why a visit isnt a good idea and if I was the new owner Id be wary of that too but I cant see what harm updates and photos would do :(

Reactions: 2
Is it not the norm anymore? I couldn’t imagine ever saying no to visits or updates.
my horses old owner still visits once a year and I’ve owned her for 17 years now. Then again.. I cried when she said goodbye to her the day I purchased her. I’m a right softie 🤣 and the cat I adopted which I previously mentioned. I’d feel so bad for saying no.

In other news our pup has his second jabs today and I’m honestly so nervous for him. I feel like when I took my human baby for hers 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Heart
How did you guys manage with puppies pre lockdown/pandemic? I WFH and still find it so tricky. You guys must be superheroes!

I know it makes me feel sad..We got a puppy and some days we don’t enjoy him at all..Todays 1 of them 😒 ..Someone has posted about it being resource guarding and it does sound like that after I’ve just googled it..I might have to get a dog behaviourist ..I was thinking if I had him done but that help?
@Caffeine Fiend has given great advice.

My couple of points. Don't tell a dog off for giving 'warnings' such as growling. Look up ladder of aggression, growling is not the first stage so it sounds like you need to be more aware of body language and what he is telling you. If you tell a dog off for giving you a warning sign, he will learn to skip that stage and go straight to the next warning which is snapping!

Is he first or second generation? By any chance is he red?

Cockerpoos have honestly been breed too much lately and I don't think there's been a lot of care taken to ensure good lines.

We made such good progress with our little pup and finally started to feel like we were enjoying him and he was getting out of the "difficult" stage. Toilet training - done. Sleeping where we want him to - done. Gives paw/sits on command - done. But the last week or so he's gone back to being terribly nippy and biting when he's overtired or excited. Last night I had to pick him up off me and put him behind the stairgate as he just wouldn't stop. It felt like he'd grown out of that as all his teeth are now through but it feels like we've taken 10 steps backwards. Any advice for a nippy puppy? He's not biting to hurt us, it is more playful but it's annoying because when people come round I feel really conscious of it!

Also, we've started letting him off the lead at a local dog walking field and his recall has been so good. But at the weekend he decided to chase a bird and then just continued running and running and would not come back. Fortunately there's a little tea hut there and he ran in there and the owner was playing with him and giving him treats until we got there but now I am terrified to let him off the lead again :(

We made such good progress with our little pup and finally started to feel like we were enjoying him and he was getting out of the "difficult" stage. Toilet training - done. Sleeping where we want him to - done. Gives paw/sits on command - done. But the last week or so he's gone back to being terribly nippy and biting when he's overtired or excited. Last night I had to pick him up off me and put him behind the stairgate as he just wouldn't stop. It felt like he'd grown out of that as all his teeth are now through but it feels like we've taken 10 steps backwards. Any advice for a nippy puppy? He's not biting to hurt us, it is more playful but it's annoying because when people come round I feel really conscious of it!

Also, we've started letting him off the lead at a local dog walking field and his recall has been so good. But at the weekend he decided to chase a bird and then just continued running and running and would not come back. Fortunately there's a little tea hut there and he ran in there and the owner was playing with him and giving him treats until we got there but now I am terrified to let him off the lead again :(
Very common. How old is he now, 8months? He's pushing boundaries. Go back to basics with the recall, remember there will always be something interesting around, so you've got to be the most interesting thing around (easier said than done, mine still chases birds on the beach).

• Heart
Very common. How old is he now, 8months? He's pushing boundaries. Go back to basics with the recall, remember there will always be something interesting around, so you've got to be the most interesting thing around (easier said than done, mine still chases birds on the beach).
He's just 6 months so I know he's still young but it really does feel like a step backwards. Puppies are hard work 😂 Thank you though, I will start from the beginning again!

Reactions: 4
Hi @WilmaHun - me again! I feel like we're at the exact same stage of this puppy journey.

Our pup also has most of her teeth through and went through a stage of stopping biting/nipping for ages but since her big teeth are through she's started again. Again, it's not like biting to hurt us it's like she latches on (I'm covered in bruises rather than bite marks, unlike the early puppy days). I have absolutely no advice :ROFLMAO: apart from always make sure there is a toy around to substitute your arm/hand etc.. with.

I think I've said before, but Kongs are really good - fill them with dog peanut butter and freeze them. Also, the long lasting pizzle bones are brilliant for keeping them busy.

• Heart
He's just 6 months so I know he's still young but it really does feel like a step backwards. Puppies are hard work 😂 Thank you though, I will start from the beginning again!
I'm still feeling like that and mine was a year in Feb 🙈

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.